Peanut butter v Almond butter

I’ve researched both peanut butter (pb) and almond butter (an) for calories, fat and protein. The big deal seems to be ab over pb but I don’t see enough of a significant difference to see what the big deal is about ab. Any thoughts on this to help me? Thanks.

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,515 Member
    What is this big deal that you speak of? I don't care for Almond Butter so I do eat Peanut Butter occasionally.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited January 2020
    MikePTY wrote: »
    You are correct that nutritionally, they are very close to identical. If you have a taste preference, go with one of those. If not, I would go with the cheaper one, which I assume would be peanut butter.

As to why almond butter is trendy as a "healthier" version of peanut butter? Who knows. Lots of things because trendy for reasons not based in science.

That^^

Peanut butter, because it's cheaper and it tastes better.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    I used to eat almond butter because peanut butter (and peanuts) was a major GERD trigger for me. Luckily my GERD hasn't been as bad recently and I can go back to eating my cheap peanut butter. I prefer the taste of peanut butter as well.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I like raw almonds, but I don’t care for almond butter. Growing up, my sibs would have pb&j sandwiches, I only wanted jelly, no pb. Now I love pb on toast with sliced bananas. Prefer peanut butter over other nut butters.
    Not much difference nutritionally or calorie wise, so enjoy what you like.
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    Cost wise I prefer peanut butter, try Simply Jif, it has less sugar than most peanut butters, and is gluten free
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    i prefer blue diamond almonds & creamy peanut butter...almond butter is overpriced!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited January 2020
    i prefer blue diamond almonds & creamy peanut butter...almond butter is overpriced!

You can make it easily with almonds (and peanut butter easily with peanuts). My store-bought versions were the same price, but I could have found peanut butter easily, probably (I only like the kind that's only peanuts and salt, however).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    madre715 wrote: »
    I’ve researched both peanut butter (pb) and almond butter (an) for calories, fat and protein. The big deal seems to be ab over pb but I don’t see enough of a significant difference to see what the big deal is about ab. Any thoughts on this to help me? Thanks.

Not sure what "big deal" you are referring to. They are both nut butters...they are both healthy choices. There is very little difference in nutritional profile. To me this is kind of like when people tout the sweet potato as a super food and a regular potato as "bad" food...but when you look at the nutritional profile, they are pretty equivalent. The bottom line is people who make things a "big deal" often don't really know much of anything about nutrition and just go along with the masses and whatever is hot and trendy in the media.

I prefer PB, but only keep AB at the house because I have a boy that is very allergic to peanuts.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    Almonds are a better source of vitamin E and calcium, so there's that. I keep both in the house most of the time, because I like them in different applications.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    I feel that other than taste they are the same. And when one is $2 and the other is sometimes close to $10, I'll pick PB. If you aren't allergic to one or the other I'd just eat the one you want because they are pretty equal in nutrients.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    I find almond butter to be kind of bland, so I usually opt for toasted soy nut butter or just regular PB.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I'm sure my mother and my aunt have an extremely scientifically valid reason why almond butter is better.

</sarcasm>
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    Cookie butter > sunflower seed butter > peanut butter > almond butter
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    I think almond butter got a glow up back when all the articles about which nuts were "heart healthy" started, and almonds and walnuts were attributed superfood status, for better or worse.