Can’t do core workouts correctly?

Options
Whenever I do a core workout, my stomach lifts off of the floor and I can’t keep my back down. Afterwards my back will hurt for days and I can’t sleep very well. Any tips/exercises for core (to lose stomach fat, not really form abs yet)?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Whenever I do a core workout, my stomach lifts off of the floor and I can’t keep my back down.

What exercise are you doing?

Any tips/exercises for core (to lose stomach fat, not really form abs yet)?

Eat fewer calories than you are burning.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Core exercises are not going to burn fat around your middle. However, it's important to learn to brace your core and strengthen your core. Think about pulling your belly button in towards your spine while continuing to breath normally or tilting your pelvic bones inward...then maintain that while performing the exercise. As you go about your day, practice the pulling your belly button in exercise and engage your core.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I concur that it won't help you to loose fat, but core is important for everybody.

I have a similar issue when doing some core work due to a curve in my lower spine, a minor case of scoliosis> I still have it at normal BMI and in maintenance.
    I either bring my bum up using something under my lover back (towel or roll) or I make sure my feet are on the floor and my legs then have a _/\___\0 shape Either way the back is pushed down onto the floor and you protect it, but the choice depends on the exercise
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Here are few of my favourite ab exercises: Plank, Side Plank, Full Body Roll up, Scissor Lifts, Leg lifts.

It would be helpful to let us know what you have been doing, maybe we can help with form.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Look at the Stuart McGill Big 3 exercises to stabilize your back muscles don't go down the road to a bad back. BirdDogs, Curl Ups, Side Planks is the start.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    anb3600 wrote: »
    Whenever I do a core workout, my stomach lifts off of the floor and I can’t keep my back down. Afterwards my back will hurt for days and I can’t sleep very well. Any tips/exercises for core (to lose stomach fat, not really form abs yet)?

What core exercises are you doing?

You can't spot reduce fat with exercise. You will lose stomach fat by way of a calorie deficit and losing weight. The mid section is primary fat stores for many, if not most people...primary fat stores are a first on, last off kind of thing. The mid section is often the last to go for many.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    anb3600 wrote: »

Being unable to maintain proper form in floor core exercises can sometimes be due to trying to overdue the movement, trying to force a dramatic move rather than focus on the muscle contraction and alignment and just being ok with a small micro move. It would help if you said what specific exercises you are doing.

To lose stomach fat, you just need to keep losing weight, the fat will come off where it wants, and for many of us, the stomach is the last thing to go. To build your core muscles, you might actually get results more efficiently by doing a full body resistance program with compound moves.

These Most Helpful Posts might help you as well:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    My core was really weak when I started weight training (basic compound lifts, nothing abs-specific)... Those movements made a huge difference to my core strength. Barbell rows, in particular, definitely made a huge difference when I was too weak to be able to do things like sit-ups properly. I added them in when I was able to do them, adding weight as my strength improved.