Gastric Sleeve Community

Hi everyone!

I just had my gastric sleeve surgery 11/20/19 and started working out. I’m down 30 or so pounds, let’s connect, swap recipes and Meal ideas.

Replies

• jeslz
    jeslz Posts: 49 Member
    Congrats! I had a gastric band and plication on 16 October and am currently down 18.6kg in total. I’ve started exercising but haven’t been able to get out as much as I’d like due to excessive bushfire smoke in the region but I’m hoping to start some higher intensity exercise if and when the smoke dies down.

What exercises have you started with?
  • i was recently sleeved on Dec 3rd and am finally able to have soft foods! this has definitely been a struggle
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    jeslz wrote: »
    Congrats! I had a gastric band and plication on 16 October and am currently down 18.6kg in total. I’ve started exercising but haven’t been able to get out as much as I’d like due to excessive bushfire smoke in the region but I’m hoping to start some higher intensity exercise if and when the smoke dies down.

What exercises have you started with?

Sorry for the excessive bushfire smoke. Hope that clears up for you very soon.
  • darlin930
    darlin930 Posts: 283 Member
    Hello all! I am just starting this journey. I have yet to talk to the surgeon. I have done the preliminary work required to get the surgery and now waiting to talk to the nutritionist and surgeon. I hope to have my surgery in the next couple of months.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    I'm a sleeve five years out. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • ercelray1
    ercelray1 Posts: 12 Member
    Added. I’m 12 days now since sleeve surgery. Going good so far!
  • tellypooh
    tellypooh Posts: 5 Member
    I'm almost four months out. I would like friends as well!
  • jennippsonline
    jennippsonline Posts: 19 Member
    I'm just starting the process. My insurance requires a 3-phase approval process. The first phase is to get the paperwork all filled out and submitted. I just talked to my health coach about it today since my doctor suggested I think about it when I saw him last week. (It wasn't an unsolicited suggestion. I told him I really needed help and asked what he would suggest.) So I'll get the packet in the mail later this week. I'm looking forward to hearing your experiences and will hopefully get to share mine soon.
  • Caseyloupuckett
    Caseyloupuckett Posts: 1,037 Member
    Hi, I just got the knees from my doctor that surgery is no longer optional. So I'll be starting the process.

I'm 29 and feel like I've failed not being able to lose weight on my own. And now my blood pressure is at critical levels.

On top of that I have a stomach condition that my doctor said we are going to figure out. So there's going to be lots of testing for that as well.

One of the things she wants me to test is gluten free for two weeks.

And I'll be scheduled for a colonoscopy.

I'm scared about both processes. The weightless surgery and the one to find out what's wrong with me.

But I'm at my highest weight. And I'm tried of being sick all the time.

Not even sure how I've gained the last 30 pounds since I throw up often.

Anyway, I figured this was a good time to come back to mfp and I could really use some support.

Thank you for reading this
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    I have not had the gastric sleeve surgery myself but a family member has and they are struggling so much with getting the necessary fluids and nutrition as well due to nausea and as you can imagine, very low energy. They've been to the doctor and all appointments each week and they've had to get IVs for dehydration twice already (it has been over 7 weeks since the surgery)...did you MFP members that had the surgery go thru a similar struggle after the surgery? Any tips that I could pass on? Thank you!
  • jeslz
    jeslz Posts: 49 Member
    Hi, I just got the knees from my doctor that surgery is no longer optional. So I'll be starting the process.

I'm 29 and feel like I've failed not being able to lose weight on my own. And now my blood pressure is at critical levels.

On top of that I have a stomach condition that my doctor said we are going to figure out. So there's going to be lots of testing for that as well.

I'm scared about both processes. The weightless surgery and the one to find out what's wrong with me.

Anyway, I figured this was a good time to come back to mfp and I could really use some support.

I’ve just turned 29 and had a gastric band and plication in October. Please don’t feel like your age means you have failed. Despite our youth, sometimes we still need help.

I didn’t have any major health issues but my weight was just ballooning. My knees and ankles were hurting constantly and my plantar fasciitis was getting worse. I am currently down 22.5kg (50 pounds).

I hope your issues are resolved and your surgery is a success. Feel free to add me if you would like.
  • amandabethc
    amandabethc Posts: 16 Member
    I'm about to start month three in the insurance approval process. I've been working to make changes now so that the transition is easier. So far I've given up soda, started meal planning, and began exercising. What other changes would you all recommend? For those that have had the surgery, what's been the biggest adjustment?
  • Caseyloupuckett
    jeslz wrote: »

I’ve just turned 29 and had a gastric band and plication in October. Please don’t feel like your age means you have failed. Despite our youth, sometimes we still need help.

I didn’t have any major health issues but my weight was just ballooning. My knees and ankles were hurting constantly and my plantar fasciitis was getting worse. I am currently down 22.5kg (50 pounds).

I hope your issues are resolved and your surgery is a success. Feel free to add me if you would like.

Thank you for all the kind words. And congratulations on your successful surgery. That's awesome 😊.

I'm sorry I have replied. This has been such a rollercoaster experience for me. And so much is going on.

I got through the gluten free. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I picked a surgeon. My doctor put me on 1200 calories and no carbs high protein to prepare and lose what weight I can pre surgery.

I'm on day four and it's also not as bad as I thought it would be. 😊
  • mandy082385
    mandy082385 Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2020
    I'm a gastric sleeve patient - 2 years out!

I'd love to have more friends who have been through it too. :)
  • crouthtr
    crouthtr Posts: 1 Member
    I am getting the sleeve in 5 days! I am excited but nervous. I am interested in connecting with anyone on this journey or that have already had it!
  • gingerpower79
    gingerpower79 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello, I'm post sleeve 14 months. It's been a wonderful tool however I'm really struggling now. Been on a plateau for like 6 months and lately the worst foods for me is my craving. I need to get back on track because I have actually gained a few pounds just struggling bad with lifes stressors. Any positive input would be greatly appreciated. Would love to lose another 50 lbs
  • Z10Rtza
    Z10Rtza Posts: 450 Member
    I had a Gastric Sleeve in 2008. And now I;m in the same weight back. I need to do it now by myself
  • Caseyloupuckett
    I just finished my pysh evaluation today. I will be getting the results on Saturday. Praying that it all goes well, otherwise the last few months of appointments will have been for nothing.

I have just a few more appointments to get through and hopefully I can get my surgery date by next month.
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    I had a Gastric Sleeve in 2008. And now I;m in the same weight back. I need to do it now by myself

This is one of the things I worry about. I'm considering getting this done, but I hear about people gaining the weight back. I guess the stomach stretches?