Exercises you just can't do!

Options

Replies

• dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    But there are some exercises I just can't do:

I believe the correct sentence here is "But there are some exercises I just can't do YET" ... it will come :) You are clearly working towards it and being positive and thinking positively about the future instead of negatively in the present are huge in seeing success. You've got this!!
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    But there are some exercises I just can't do:

I believe the correct sentence here is "But there are some exercises I just can't do YET" ... it will come :) You are clearly working towards it and being positive and thinking positively about the future instead of negatively in the present are huge in seeing success. You've got this!!
    Thank you! What an uplifting post!

I'm definitely going to try the crocodile arms thing. Anything that will help.
  • lukesmama
    lukesmama Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Pull ups.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Ab hold, my arms are to frikking short!
    Hollow man also, I tense up in my neck and it just dosent work for me.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on what you can't do. Focus on what you can do! :) Just keep working at it. You'll get there!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    plenty of exercises i can't do..

the ones that are most prominent are pull ups, push ups and plank.
  • dragonflydi
    Options
    Don't focus on what you can't do. Focus on what you can do! :) Just keep working at it. You'll get there!

I agree :) Even if you try an exercise and can only do one (or do one for a short amount of time, like with a plank), focus on the fact that you CAN do one or CAN do a plank for that amount of time ... and then close your eyes and visualize yourself doing TWO or a longer period of time. When you get to two, repeat and visualize THREE. You will get there ... and before you know it, you will open your eyes and you will be doing TEN and wondering why you ever thought you couldn't do those to begin with :) It's the power of positive thinking and slow, steady, consistent progress.
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I would think you should try light dumbells, elastic band type exercises.
  • nikkif87
    nikkif87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Plenty of them! The Dreya Roll onn P90x is impossible for me though.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    I can't do burpees. I had a stroke about 2.5 years ago, a result of an allergic reaction to a migraine med. Now, I have to do my best to "avoid migraines," and after only 1 burpee, I have TERRIBLE head pain. I think maybe from the up/down motioin... Anyway, I just trade it in for something else, depending on my mood!

Anything else I find I can't do, I just TRY my best. I may have to do it slower or not squat so far down, or on my knees, whatever the case may be. Eventually, I'll be able to do them all (except the burpees!).

Good Luck to everyone, conquer those exercises!!!!!!
  • artsyathlete
    Options
    Everyone has things they can't do yet. I teach fitness classes and there are times when even in front of the class I'll have to say "I'm going to demonstrate the modification for this one, if you want to take it to the next level, then you do it by..."(and give a verbal explanation). Everyone starts somewhere and the ones you listed are really common for people to struggle with at first. Niner buffs tips were really good. Also on the plank if you set is to hold it for 30 seconds (for example) and y9ou can only hold for 3, then hold for three, drop down to your knees for 5, back up for 3 and alternate like that for the 30. Or just work on moving your knees back a little each workout.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I can do planks fine at the start of workout, including the leg lifts and moving them out while in plank.

Burpees.

Burpees.

Burpess.

Suck.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty heavy, so I find anything that demands I bear all my weight with my arms very difficult (I do box press ups instead of proper ones). But there are some exercises I just can't do:

-Tricep dips (using a chair)
    - The Plank. I manage about 2 seconds then fall down.

I know it'll get better, but I just need to know there are other people who just skip some exercises. I always do replacement ones though! Promise!

YEAH!Anything involving strength. I can do cardio all day long. When it comes to push-ups....Forget it.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I can't do press ups. I seem to have absolutely no strength there, tried many times and failed! Same with the plank.
  • dragonflydi
    Options
    I can't do press ups. I seem to have absolutely no strength there, tried many times and failed! Same with the plank.

Assuming "press ups" are what I would call "push ups", I had trouble with these at first too. A trainer at my gym suggested I start with "negative" push ups, which is essentially starting in the "Up" part of the push up and very very slowly, lowering yourself down to the floor. It helps to build the muscles. It helped for me, so I thought I would share :) The same can be done for pull ups. Start by jumping up to the bar and then while hanging, slowly lower yourself all the way down.
  • josaleigh
    Options
    Planks hate me
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    V-sits... those are crazy hard for me. I use to be able to do them once upon a dream!! haha! A lot of ab stuff and pull ups. I miss pull ups!!
  • Midori_i
    Midori_i Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have worked out like crazy for about three and a half years now (like crazy meaning 4-5 times a week when I never got off the couch all my life before that) and I still can NOT do pull-ups. I know those are really hard, especially for women, but when I try, there's not even a twitch. :/

But at least I increased the distance I can run from less than half a mile to seven miles, I can do a bridge now, I can hold a plank for over a minute when I couldn't do it for 3 seconds back in the day, I can do squats till kingdom come... Gotta focus on all the improvements :D
  • WillbeWilma
    WillbeWilma Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    turkish getups, I'll conquer them one day
    Same here.

Ditto :(
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    The main reason I don't do burpees is the name. Seriously. Why?! Where did it come from? It sounds so gross.