Serial restarter

Options
So a few years ago I lost 20kg and was doing great with this app until I got with my current partner. My lord I never gained 20kg so quickly!

So since then I have tried to get fit to give myself not only a body I’m proud of but also have the strength and fitness I’m proud of multiple times.

My problem seems to be motivation when I’m surrounded by my friends, thus needing to restart all the time.

So far this time I am 2 weeks in and I’m still very motivated and satisfied. I could definitely log my food better and also drink more water but I’m doing better each day!

Anyone else a serial restarter?

Replies

• Laura93_
    Laura93_ Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a serial restarter! I can't even remember how many times I've restarted. I seem to get motivated for a couple of months and then frustrated when I'm not seeing results fast enough, stop and then repeat a few months later.
  • thinkyskinny
    thinkyskinny Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Serial restarter over here too! Just over a week into my reset and trying to keep laser focused on how l was able to lose and maintain the weight the first few times (vs. getting frustrated by how I let it go). You got this! Feel free to add me - always happy to stay inspired by others on the journey toward health.
  • cassieshae
    cassieshae Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Laura93_ wrote: »
    I'm definitely a serial restarter! I can't even remember how many times I've restarted. I seem to get motivated for a couple of months and then frustrated when I'm not seeing results fast enough, stop and then repeat a few months later.

I’ve learned this time to change my mindset and keep telling myself that I need to be patient. Just adding gym to my life, I’ve lost 2kg in the first week. I’m also making small lifestyle changes as I go so I don’t get overwhelmed by such a massive change.

Tell you what I’m hoping I last
  • cassieshae
    Options
    Serial restarter over here too! Just over a week into my reset and trying to keep laser focused on how l was able to lose and maintain the weight the first few times (vs. getting frustrated by how I let it go). You got this! Feel free to add me - always happy to stay inspired by others on the journey toward health.

I’ve added you 🙂
    I’ve decided to change my mindset and like you focus on how I lost the weight. But this time, rather than losing weight, I want to lose fat.

You got this, I believe in you!
  • MovingRumsAss
    MovingRumsAss Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was great a few years ago. I'm still on here but I'm terrible at logging. It's not like putting a recipe in is hard. I get to focused on one thing and forget the other
  • kayslbee
    kayslbee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same! Back on it and hoping this time it's for real >.<
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,437 Member
    Options
    I have been on this site on and off since 2009...I lost count on how many times I have restarted ....This is OUR year ....We got this :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Just a quick tip from someone who USED to be a serial restarter...

Sometimes you have to keep restarting because you make it harder than it needs to be and expect too much too soon (speaking from experience!)

All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Every other rule you make for yourself should make it EASIER to hit your calorie goal. If you're struggling, pick one rule you think will benefit the most, and set the rest aside, you can add them later.

And weight loss is slow and inconsistent, no matter how hard you work, if you don't accept that you'll never stick with it.

Hang in there and good luck :drinker:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I'm more like a serial-old-lady-gets-injured. Like I do great (if slow), lose the weight, enter maintenance and then BLAMMO there's an injury, an illness that drags on and then relapses, or worse yet, some kind of surgery. Some of the weight creeps back on. I recover. I start over. I lose back off whatever crept back on while carefully ramping the exercise back up. Longest I've gone without such an event is 4 years. I'm 51 now.
  • cassieshae
    Options
    I was great a few years ago. I'm still on here but I'm terrible at logging. It's not like putting a recipe in is hard. I get to focused on one thing and forget the other

Certainly get that!
  • cassieshae
    Options
    kayslbee wrote: »
    I'm exactly the same! Back on it and hoping this time it's for real >.<

It will be!
  • Jes2kids
    Jes2kids Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Me! It’s always Monday, or after this event, or another arbitrary day. No more restarts for me either.
  • cassieshae
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Sometimes you have to keep restarting because you make it harder than it needs to be and expect too much too soon (speaking from experience!)

All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Every other rule you make for yourself should make it EASIER to hit your calorie goal. If you're struggling, pick one rule you think will benefit the most, and set the rest aside, you can add them later.

And weight loss is slow and inconsistent, no matter how hard you work, if you don't accept that you'll never stick with it.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

I never expected results straight away, I understand that it’s a patient game, I did really well the first time, I just got comfortable with my partner and was so focused on having this good time, I neglected all the work I was putting in.

My main problem when I restarted the following times, I often find myself not eating enough to meet the bare minimum, not because I’m trying to lose weight but because I just wasn't hungry.

My other big problem is when I go out to eat with friends I give in to where they want to go and it’s usually a fast food place which in itself is not a problem but it’s kilojoules galore and I’m hungry 30 minutes later.
  • cassieshae
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I'm more like a serial-old-lady-gets-injured. Like I do great (if slow), lose the weight, enter maintenance and then BLAMMO there's an injury, an illness that drags on and then relapses, or worse yet, some kind of surgery. Some of the weight creeps back on. I recover. I start over. I lose back off whatever crept back on while carefully ramping the exercise back up. Longest I've gone without such an event is 4 years. I'm 51 now.

Wow sounds like quite the cycle. I hope you don’t hurt yourself this year!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    cassieshae wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

I never expected results straight away, I understand that it’s a patient game, I did really well the first time, I just got comfortable with my partner and was so focused on having this good time, I neglected all the work I was putting in.

My main problem when I restarted the following times, I often find myself not eating enough to meet the bare minimum, not because I’m trying to lose weight but because I just wasn't hungry.

My other big problem is when I go out to eat with friends I give in to where they want to go and it’s usually a fast food place which in itself is not a problem but it’s kilojoules galore and I’m hungry 30 minutes later.

Try looking at the menu online before you leave the house, pick something that sounds yummy but won't sink your day, and prelog it right into your food log. Sometimes just putting my intention down in writing so to speak helps me stick with it once I'm there.

I actually try to prelog my day every morning. That way I can see how the numbers are going to fall and play around with my choices before I've done the deed. Doesn't always help, but sometimes it does!

I also tried to learn from my log to see what my typical eating patterns left me short on or over. Like I noticed I tended to eat lower protein, so I'd keep HB eggs, yogurt cups, and tuna packets on hand. That way if I realized my calories were a little low, I had ready made snacks that could fill in the blanks, but I wasn't likely to go overboard with. :smile:
  • casieblizzardsjb
    casieblizzardsjb Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Me! Haha I'm a mommy of 4, weighing 200 lbs and trying to get to at least 150 lbs. I've been trying for years and somehow alway ended up pregnant (joke haha) I would love new friends to help motivate me