Protein Bars

2»

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Protein bars are okay in a pinch if you're not diabetic. Most of them are loaded with sugar.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,847 Member
    I never ate them until recently. I took a box on a trip for “emergency” nutrition, liked
    them- a lot- and started eating them daily for a couple of weeks.

I also noticed I was swollen and bloated but chalked that up to the international flight. I was a little puzzled why it was hanging on so doggedly, but figured it would eventually go away.

It was my dietician who put two and two together after I mentioned adding the bars to my daily diary and then later mentioned my clothes getting tight and being irregular. She said some people don’t handle the sugar alcohols well, and may not digest the proteins used in them well, either. She suggested taking them out.

I stopped eating them, and two or three days later the bloating was all gone and everything started moving. It was a drastic difference in waistline.

But boy, I was in love with those chocolate peanut butter bars. It just about killed me to take all the open boxes to the gym and leave them on the counter.

I figure I was probably on a path back to candy bars with those things, though, so they are well out of the house. Too sweet and too tempting.

Yes, I would personally never have a Snickers bar every day, but thought nothing of having a chocolate peanut butter protein bar or two per day, because protein. For some time, I ignored the fact that these just didn't fit in my calorie budget, Finally, I got a grip and now limit myself to one small box during my TOM.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Treat a protein bar like a snickers bar, with benefits. Nothing else.

I had these when I visited London. The only place I found them in the US was on Amazon but they were super expensive -7okmzidjbszg.jpg

• ssorg9
    ssorg9 Posts: 30 Member
    I stash protein bars at work for a treat when the office gets treats (usually donuts) brought in. That way I can partake with the social aspect and still get my own treat with them. I log everything.I agree that it's like a candy bar with benefits.
  • NicbPNW
    NicbPNW Posts: 47 Member
    I never ate them until recently. I took a box on a trip for “emergency” nutrition, liked
    them- a lot- and started eating them daily for a couple of weeks.

I also noticed I was swollen and bloated but chalked that up to the international flight. I was a little puzzled why it was hanging on so doggedly, but figured it would eventually go away.

It was my dietician who put two and two together after I mentioned adding the bars to my daily diary and then later mentioned my clothes getting tight and being irregular. She said some people don’t handle the sugar alcohols well, and may not digest the proteins used in them well, either. She suggested taking them out.

I stopped eating them, and two or three days later the bloating was all gone and everything started moving. It was a drastic difference in waistline.

But boy, I was in love with those chocolate peanut butter bars. It just about killed me to take all the open boxes to the gym and leave them on the counter.

I figure I was probably on a path back to candy bars with those things, though, so they are well out of the house. Too sweet and too tempting.

VERY interesting! I notice bloating too.
  • JennDoingTheThing
    JennDoingTheThing Posts: 24 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    To answer the OP, I don't think protein bars serve the same purpose as a shake, to me. I like bars because they fill me up and it's a (somewhat) yummy snack to have in the middle of the afternoon. It's like having a candy bar, that isn't as tasty, but fills me up and has some protein.

A shake I would drink because I just need more protein and don't want to spare too many calories. It helps curb my hunger a little but nothing like a bar would.

Same. I basically have them occasionally in the afternoon when I used to have a candy bar, and now instead can have something that is more filling, slightly less sugar, and slightly more protein. I never use them as a meal replacement or anything like that. Basically just an extra snack if I want something chocolate.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    garber6th wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Treat a protein bar like a snickers bar, with benefits. Nothing else.

I had these when I visited London. The only place I found them in the US was on Amazon but they were super expensive -7okmzidjbszg.jpg

Have you checked the quality of protein they use? When I had tried it, a UK version bought in Canada, most of the protein was from collagen (= low quality protein). HOWEVER, I notice that the US version ingredient list currently on Amazon doesn't list collagen. So there may exist regional differences.