Lose fat and gain muscle at the same time?

Options
I'm new-ish to MFP, but not calorie counting. However, this is the first time I have ever been concerned about wanting to tone up AS I lose weight, instead of just burn fat.

Is it possible to burn fat at a moderate pace, but also maintain/build muscle? From what I read, it looks like not eating too much of a deficit, obviously weight training, and eating enough protein.

Any other tips?

Thanks!

Replies

• MissKristy35
    MissKristy35 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been working out using strength training as well as cardio. From what I understand the more muscle you have the more fat you'll burn.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I'm new-ish to MFP, but not calorie counting. However, this is the first time I have ever been concerned about wanting to tone up AS I lose weight, instead of just burn fat.

Is it possible to burn fat at a moderate pace, but also maintain/build muscle? From what I read, it looks like not eating too much of a deficit, obviously weight training, and eating enough protein.

Any other tips?

Thanks!

If you don't have one in mind, this thread could help you find a well-designed weight training program suitable to your schedule and goals:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

A good program is key, along with the other things you mentioned. The things you mention will be the biggies.

Well-rounded overall nutrition is a good plan, in addition to being sure to get enough protein. For best health and performance, you'll also benefit from enough healthy fats (sometimes people lowball that to cut calories), plus plenty of varied, colorful veggies and fruits. Good hydration is a plus, too: Not crazy much, but enough.

Best wishes!
  • rodnichols69
    rodnichols69 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    MissKristy is correct. We get so focused on losing weight that we forget to protect or build muscle.

It is possible to lose weight and maintain or build a small amount of muscle. Everyone is different, but I want to share this as a baseline example. I paid people to build this plan, so why not share it.

I am 200lbs. In the last 40 days and I have lost 14 lbs of fat and gain a couple pounds of lean mass. Like you, I was concerned about burning lean mass, so I am checking my body mass weekly. A trainer tracks my results and tweaks the plan. She added some protein, limited my cardio, and convinced me to consume almost half my daily intake right after my strength training (and right before bed)

Meal plan: Calories just under BMR (example: my BMR is 1861 & my meal plan is 1800). Macros +40% Protein, 40% Fat, <20% Carbs. Consume at least 1g of protein per pound of lean mass and ideally 1g of protein per pound of body weight. I also take a few supplements.

Workout: 4 days a week (M, TU, TH, F) 40-45 minutes of strength (high weight, higher sets, low reps), & 15-25 minutes of HIITS, and some Saturdays I do a spin class.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Whatever routine you use, my recommendation is to log at maintenance level, rather than wing it. This helps to keep you from overcompensating for your workouts in terms or eating.

Also, if you've never lifted, personal or group training is the absolute best!

Best of luck!
  • JennDoingTheThing
    JennDoingTheThing Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Any other tips?

Thanks!

If you don't have one in mind, this thread could help you find a well-designed weight training program suitable to your schedule and goals:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

A good program is key, along with the other things you mentioned. The things you mention will be the biggies.

Well-rounded overall nutrition is a good plan, in addition to being sure to get enough protein. For best health and performance, you'll also benefit from enough healthy fats (sometimes people lowball that to cut calories), plus plenty of varied, colorful veggies and fruits. Good hydration is a plus, too: Not crazy much, but enough.

Best wishes!

Awesome, thank you!