Your experience with Saxenda

Options
Hi everyone. It’s been a long time since I posted and I have completely fallen off the wagon and regained all my weight.

This time around I am finding it harder to lose weight because I’m on several different medications that make me want to eat everything on site and never feel full.

I asked my doctor today for some help and he prescribed saxenda which is supposed to make me feel full.

I know that the forums here tend to look down on taking anything to help you lose weight. However, I was wondering if maybe anyone here has tried it before. If you have, did it help? How long were you on it and how much did you lose when taking it? Anything I should be warned about when starting the medication?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Put Saxenda in the search box several threads about it.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Hi Elphie!

I think you're a bit of a different case from a newbie using something like this, you know you still need to put in the work, be at a deficit, etc etc. Plus this isn't like the stuff that's basically Speed that I can't remember the name of (pretty sure we'd all still say 'Noooo, don't do it Elphie!' to that).

I know naught about Saxenda aside from what Google just told me, but I hope it helps :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Oh duh lol. Blonde moment. I didn’t even think to check about other threads.
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Hi Elphie!

I think you're a bit of a different case from a newbie using something like this, you know you still need to put in the work, be at a deficit, etc etc. Plus this isn't like the stuff that's basically Speed that I can't remember the name of (pretty sure we'd all still say 'Noooo, don't do it Elphie!' to that).

I know naught about Saxenda aside from what Google just told me, but I hope it helps :)

True. My doctor actually went over several options with me. The one that is pretty much legalized speed he didn’t that was appropriate because it causes too many side effects. He was also concerned that that one would cause me to have a manic phase and is just not worth it. The two he thought were they best options we Saxenda or contrave. However he was iffy on the contract to because my issue isn’t that I crave certain things and wouldnt likely be helpful. My issue is Im always hungry. I’ve been on high doses of steroids for the past few months and they make me want to eat everything, have 3 plates of dinner instead of just one, constantly snacking in between meals and still eating a ridiculous amount. I absolutely understand CICO since it how I lost over 120 lbs about 5 or 6 years ago. I have been tracking but then I binge eat and it will put me over my calorie allotment by a lot! Not trying to make excuses, but it’s a bit hard to stay in your calorie allotment when you feel like you need to eat all the time. Since Saxenda helps with feeling full, he thought it was the best option to start with, give it 2 months and see if it helps. If not, we try something else.

I am slightly concerned about the black box warning fir cancer. I can’t seem to find any info about of likely it is to develop cancer, so not sure if the benefits outweigh the risks. My doctor didn’t mention the Increased risk and I didn’t notice until after I left the office, other wise I would have asked him. I did however send him a message through the patient portal, so will see what he says.

The other thing is only 18-19 lbs were lost by patient taking it for 56 weeks. That seems incredibly low so potentially not worth it.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Hi Elphie!

True. My doctor actually went over several options with me. The one that is pretty much legalized speed he didn’t that was appropriate because it causes too many side effects. He was also concerned that that one would cause me to have a manic phase and is just not worth it. The two he thought were they best options we Saxenda or contrave. However he was iffy on the contract to because my issue isn’t that I crave certain things and wouldnt likely be helpful. My issue is Im always hungry. I’ve been on high doses of steroids for the past few months and they make me want to eat everything, have 3 plates of dinner instead of just one, constantly snacking in between meals and still eating a ridiculous amount. I absolutely understand CICO since it how I lost over 120 lbs about 5 or 6 years ago. I have been tracking but then I binge eat and it will put me over my calorie allotment by a lot! Not trying to make excuses, but it’s a bit hard to stay in your calorie allotment when you feel like you need to eat all the time. Since Saxenda helps with feeling full, he thought it was the best option to start with, give it 2 months and see if it helps. If not, we try something else.

I am slightly concerned about the black box warning fir cancer. I can’t seem to find any info about of likely it is to develop cancer, so not sure if the benefits outweigh the risks. My doctor didn’t mention the Increased risk and I didn’t notice until after I left the office, other wise I would have asked him. I did however send him a message through the patient portal, so will see what he says.

The other thing is only 18-19 lbs were lost by patient taking it for 56 weeks. That seems incredibly low so potentially not worth it.

Ugh, yep, high dose steroids would definitely make appetite control hard!!

This is the paper on the phase 2 trial. Participants were meant to be at a 500 cal deficit, but it doesn't discuss adherence. It also doesn't give maximum weight loss, only the mean (which is the 18-19lbs). Really, it's going to come down to if the medication makes enough of a difference to allow you to stay at a deficit.

https://www.nature.com/articles/ijo2013120
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Hi Elphie!

Ugh, yep, high dose steroids would definitely make appetite control hard!!

https://www.nature.com/articles/ijo2013120

Thank you. Waiting to hear back from doctor to see if there might be a better alternative. As much as this sounds like the medication that would help me, thecancer blackbox warning scares me. I just lost my sister in law to cancer in May and the idea that it could increase a risk for cancer makes me worried. I have a feeling I am over thinking it though because that is what I do.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    oh and if anyone needs sources of information to back up my statements, let me know.....
  • phatdivabbw
    phatdivabbw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. It’s been a long time since I posted and I have completely fallen off the wagon and regained all my weight.

This time around I am finding it harder to lose weight because I’m on several different medications that make me want to eat everything on site and never feel full.

I asked my doctor today for some help and he prescribed saxenda which is supposed to make me feel full.

I know that the forums here tend to look down on taking anything to help you lose weight. However, I was wondering if maybe anyone here has tried it before. If you have, did it help? How long were you on it and how much did you lose when taking it? Anything I should be warned about when starting the medication?

Thanks!!!

I've been on Sax since Nov. 2019. I've lost 20lbs.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Just reading the site alone freaks me out... so many "it is not known if saxenda does this" and its unknown if it causes cancer but medications like it have caused cancer in mice =/ just too many unknowns for me..

• lrf56
    lrf56 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Saxenda helped me lose 40 lbs. I see my doctor every 60 days. You still need to eat healthy and exercise along with warer
  • MrsLead
    MrsLead Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Hi Elphie!

I don’t know how much you looked into Contrave after your doctor discussed it with you but it is typically prescribed for those with binge eating disorders which is similar to the eating pattern your described.

Now I don’t know if it is safe to take with high dose steroids or steroids in general, but I’d suggest you look into the medication a little more than what your doctor described to you if that is something you have considered.