What's One Ingredient You Swear by - That People Should Use More Often?

Options
124»

Replies

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    butter and heavy cream. Yes, I'm working on losing weight, but the real stuff in small quantities (say, two tablespoons in a sauce for four people) is incredibly satisfying and satiating. That, for me, leads to less grazing and snacking, and wards off binges because fat has hit some dopamine switches in my brain. I honestly think that careful use of fat in this particular diet has made it one that I can stick to as long as I need to to lose pounds.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    Vietnamese fish sauce. Add a little to any savoury dish for a umami undertone.
    https://nextshark.com/david-chang-fish-sauce/
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Ground mustard.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    I just ran out of rosemary, which is really good on chicken or with garbanzo beans.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Oli+Ve balsamic vinegars, especially the strawberry, coconut or dark chocolate flavors. Use on salads, on daily snack bowls of cottage cheese and berries. A tsp in some sparkling water makes a nice soda substitute. The ginger one makes a great light stir fry seasoning.

Frontier Co-op Vietnamese Cinnamon. I never knew cinnamon could taste so.....cinnamony. Crazy sweet yet no sugar.

Any spice blend by Victoria Taylor, but especially their Herbs de Provence. It’s good in or on everything. Spaghetti, potatoes, beef stew, grilled vegetables.

YES to the Vietnamese cinnamon! I only use the super finely ground kind. It really has such a unique flavor that is much different from your standard mccormick cinnamon.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    Yes to nutritional yeast!
  • jberr888
    jberr888 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Pure Egg Whites, 1/2 cup is 67 calories with 13 grams of protein and no fat.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    I grind in a mortar and pestle fennel seeds, anise seeds and red peppers in my marinara sauce.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    I just ran out of rosemary, which is really good on chicken or with garbanzo beans.

Grow your own. Depending on where you live you could grow it in the ground and not worry about the weather getting too cold. It also can be grown indoors.
  • lizaltfillisch
    lizaltfillisch Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Nutritional Yeast <3 Seriously, I sprinkle it on eggs, my cream cheese toast, fries, popcorn, baked potatoes. So good! I also love Everything Bagel seasoning. You get the coarse salt, garlic flakes, onion, poppy.

YES to Nooch! Will also repeat vinegars. I have no less than five or six vinegars on hand at all time. So much flavor and very low on calories. Acid can balance so many things.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I could never survive in a world without Garlic :smile:
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Grow your own. Depending on where you live you could grow it in the ground and not worry about the weather getting too cold. It also can be grown indoors.

I'll give it a shot!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Digression: I've grown it in the US North for years. It's hard to get a meaninful amount (if you like rosemary) from a potted plant, especially if you're not willing to go to a big pot over time. It wants a lot of sun, ideally a full-exposure South window when indoors, but West will keep it alive in Winter. Greenhouse is better, if you've got one, especially if you can ground-plant it in a greenhouse.

Mine goes outdoors in Summer. Slightly better results from burying the pot in the ground in Summer, but that's more hassle, so I don't.

Plant is inclined to root rot, so it's important IME to manage watering with care. A well-draining soil will help, but then need to make sure it gets adequate water, or it leaf-drops (or dies). I've found upright thyme varieties to be more robust in this way than trailing types, but YMMV.

Others may be better plant parents, and get better results than I. But if I weren't a plant geek, I frankly wouldn't bother to overwinter it, because there's more effort than return IME. Growing it in the ground as an annual is an option in cold climates, but most varieties will Winter kill below +10-20F or -7-12C. The plants are very affordable here, so seasonal growth as an annual is an option.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    55jamieb wrote: »
    If I have to pick just one, it's probably Penzey's Fox Point/Justice. They're the same spice blend, except Fox Point has salt and Justice doesn't. I put it in and on everything; notable examples include scrambled eggs, pizza, pasta, and beans.

If I can list more than one, let me know :)

Never heard of these, will be looking into!

I prefer the Justice blend because I like to adjust salt myself, so I always go for salt-free seasonings when I can. But I highly recommend both :)https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/justice/c-24/p-3228/pd-s

If you happen to live near a Penzey's, you can go smell all the spices in the store.

Have you tried Sunny Paris? It is similar but doesn't have as many onions. Instead it has more herbs like dill weed, basil, tarragon, chervil and bay leaf.

My favorite all purpose blend from them is their California seasoned pepper. Black pepper with red and green bell peppers (salt free).

For personal reasons, I have switched from Penzeys to The Spice House. Same family (owned by siblings) and many of the blends are the same since they were developed by the father of the 2 siblings. Spice House is Chicago based since the 90's so they have changed some of the blends' names but kept the same ingredients (for example, they renamed Fox Point to Lake Shore Drive Shallot Seasoning to reflect an upper crust Chicago neighborhood instead of the original upper crust Milwaukee neighborhood)

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,584 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    If I have to pick just one, it's probably Penzey's Fox Point/Justice. They're the same spice blend, except Fox Point has salt and Justice doesn't. I put it in and on everything; notable examples include scrambled eggs, pizza, pasta, and beans.

I prefer the Justice blend because I like to adjust salt myself, so I always go for salt-free seasonings when I can. But I highly recommend both :)https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/justice/c-24/p-3228/pd-s

If you happen to live near a Penzey's, you can go smell all the spices in the store.

Have you tried Sunny Paris? It is similar but doesn't have as many onions. Instead it has more herbs like dill weed, basil, tarragon, chervil and bay leaf.

My favorite all purpose blend from them is their California seasoned pepper. Black pepper with red and green bell peppers (salt free).

For personal reasons, I have switched from Penzeys to The Spice House. Same family (owned by siblings) and many of the blends are the same since they were developed by the father of the 2 siblings. Spice House is Chicago based since the 90's so they have changed some of the blends' names but kept the same ingredients (for example, they renamed Fox Point to Lake Shore Drive Shallot Seasoning to reflect an upper crust Chicago neighborhood instead of the original upper crust Milwaukee neighborhood)

Sunny Paris is great in my veggie scrambles with eggs or tofu. I love that CA pepper blend, I use it all the time. I started a Penzey post last summer before going to the store on vacation, between my favorites and recommendations my suitcase was so heavy I had to carry my haul on the plane. Spice House is just as good, I've gifted and have some of their spices. I like being able to go to the actual store.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »

Sunny Paris is great in my veggie scrambles with eggs or tofu. I love that CA pepper blend, I use it all the time. I started a Penzey post last summer before going to the store on vacation, between my favorites and recommendations my suitcase was so heavy I had to carry my haul on the plane. Spice House is just as good, I've gifted and have some of their spices. I like being able to go to the actual store.

The two companies are really funny because the sibling rivalry is very, very strong. The one thing to remember is they both started in the same place (their parents' store) and they still often buy their spices from the same growers, which are the ones their parents bought from. The 3rd generation is starting in the business so you have 2-3 generation merchants buying from 3rd and 4th generation farmers. The quality is high no matter which one you buy from. I like the new flat pack free shipping Spice House is offering.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    u6qomnixwbp4.jpg

technically it's for olive oil, but I love it spread on chicken or on salads... also great on pizza with some parm