Should I take an iron tablet?

Options
Every day my iron intake is lower then the goal. Should I take a vaitamin?

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Consult, but know that most every woman pre menopause needs an iron supplement.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    If you are going by your food diary, many of the entries are incomplete. Users enter most of the food entries, and a lot of users don't pay much attention to micros so they don't take the time to enter them.

You should only take single mineral supplements if a deficiency is revealed through a blood test and your doctor says supplementation is the best fix.

What she said.

Low iron is easy to find with a blood test. Ask your doctor.

As someone with low iron, it kinda sucks to deal with, so if you don't *have* to boost your iron with a supplement (or gods forbid an infusion *shudders*), don't.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about your iron intake you can always just cook in cast iron. It won't be logged, but it is one way to get iron in your body without having to take supplements.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about your iron intake you can always just cook in cast iron. It won't be logged, but it is one way to get iron in your body without having to take supplements.

Anyone anemic reading this should disregard and work closely with their doctor to manage their condition. I've become very unwell several times when my anemia was not managed properly, and was using cast iron before, during, and after.

Additionally, more iron is absorbed from cast iron pans when one is not using cast iron normally - brand new pans, for acidic foods, for applesauce.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    If you are going by your food diary, many of the entries are incomplete. Users enter most of the food entries, and a lot of users don't pay much attention to micros so they don't take the time to enter them.

You should only take single mineral supplements if a deficiency is revealed through a blood test and your doctor says supplementation is the best fix.

Yes, I'm anemic, and don't rely on food alone to get the iron I need, but do notice that many foods have incorrect or missing iron counts. For example, manufacturers may list iron in grams, but MFP uses percents, and I have seen when people create an entry and do bother to fill in iron, they use the gram value rather than the %, resulting in a much lower number.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Every day my iron intake is lower then the goal. Should I take a vaitamin?

NO to an iron supplement. If you look at multi-vitamins they do not include 100% of your daily iron for a good reason. As MikePTY
    pointed out too much iron is dangerous.

If you are diagnosed as anemic, then your doctor will prescribe iron.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I said:
    Consult, but know that most every woman pre menopause needs an iron supplement.
    Menstruation has been shown to be the major cause of anemia and iron deficiency in nulliparous women. A prophylactic dose of iron and folate supplements may be indicated for menstruating females to cushion the adverse effects of menstruation on hematologic status.

https://academic.oup.com/labmed/article/44/2/121/2657721
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Get your iron level measured by the doctor and see if you actually need it. Excess iron isn't good for you either.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    a