Any older folks with disabilities out there?

I am a 59 year old woman with Ankylosing Spondylitis, destroyed knees, and now a recent diagnosis of diabetes and fatty liver. I would love to hear from folks who struggle with how to exercise with disabilities. I am loving how using the app is helping me look at food in new ways.

Replies

• matthewsfarm
    matthewsfarm Posts: 3 Member
    Boy, God really does use others to teach us. My husband is disabled from an accident when he was seven. His injury mimics CP and he has limited mobility.However, he has always supported our family and still volunteers in retirement. He has, though, gotten used to being waited on when at home, and I do chafe at that. However, listening to stories like yours reminds me that many people have challenges they face! Bless you for taking such good care of him. And thanks so much for your encouragement!!
  • fmingione
    fmingione Posts: 10 Member
    I'm 50 with osteoarthritis in my knees that has me walking with a cane. I used to love long walks and hikes with my dog. I just can't do them anymore. Instead I'm swimming more and working on strength training, stretching/flexibility, and modified yoga. I feel great and my pain is reduced. Look up chair yoga and you'll find some very doable yoga routines. I know it's not easy, but remember it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Find the things you can do, do them consistently, and you WILL see results! Good luck!
  • wendydoodle
    wendydoodle Posts: 17 Member
    So I’m 50. I have had right knee replaced, left hip replaced, just found out I have scoliosis. My osteoarthritis is threw most of my lower body. I have been way over weight alll my life. I weighed in at 350 at my heaviest. I am now at 330. Trying my best to get life under control.
  • craw_cat18
    craw_cat18 Posts: 6 Member
    I'm 55 and weigh in at 234 lbs with osteoarthritis in my spine, sciatic, knees, thumbs & neck. Getting mobile some days is near impossible. but I get up and I get moving, sometimes very slowly. The cold weather really hinders my likeliness to exercise. I do stretches/flexibility and weights. Walking is minimal due to pain. I plan to keep moving a little more each day and things should get better.
  • suziieq44
    suziieq44 Posts: 14 Member
    I am 63 with Fibromyalgia and arthritis ....yes the cold weather or any front coming in be it good or bad can effect....everything.... (smile). I too have been big all of my life, my whole family pretty much are big people so fighting the genetics is no fun either. I know all this extra weight is not helping my pain levels so trying hard to get some of it off. I joined a gym and weather permitting go twice a week to a class with others who are older and also have arthritis and such. Not really a social person, but I find the working with others does help a lot. Got myself a used treadmill and trying to do at least a half mile a day 6 days a week. I know for most people a half mile is nothing, but for me is such an accomplishment. Also watch youtube videos that have low impact exercises and chair exercises, so while not moving as much as most am still getting moving. Just started all this almost 3 weeks ago, started at 248.8 and have lost 4 pounds so far. Sure is a lot easier putting it on then taking it off. So, we shall all just keep on keeping on and good luck to us all. :D
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,281 Member
    I admire all of you for getting out there and doing what you can. I've heard testimonies people who were home bound who said just moving.. walking to the mailbox or getting on the floor and doing some form of exercise started them on a journey to mobility.
  • I have to say I am inspired by your ideas and routines! My husband has CP and can get around on his knees but is mainly in his chair now. He is a martial arts instructor and works out M-F. He lifts weights and gets cardio from punching his heavy bag and using a peddler on a chair or table. Weather isn’t good enough for us to take our walks now. He had a stroke in June but was back to baseline almost immediately and is prediabetiic. He’s keeping his blood sugar pretty good with diet and exercise and drinking more water. His philosophy has always been to do what you can do and try to modify as much as you can.