Iron level calculation - is it correct?

Options
I need help with the iron calculations when logging nutrition.
I have changed the overall percentage to be in line with UK RDA values of 14.8mg iron / day.

Despite following a very balanced diet I haven't yet managed to get my iron levels to register over 10%, so I thought I would break it down and see whether the foods I am entering are actually being counted. I just had a post-exercise bowl of Shreddies and milk with some fruit. Shreddies are fortified with iron, and one bowl should provide me with 20% of my iron levels yet after logging my snack, my iron levels are still saying 0%.
Over the course of the past two weeks I haven't managed to get over 10% iron levels per day, yet every day have eaten good portions eat red meat, spinach and kale, lentils and tofu.

Can anyone help explain?

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    The database is user-sourced. Most likely the entries you've chosen are incorrect or incomplete. If that's the case, you'll need to look for a correct entry (or create your own, if that function is working...)

Yup.

I don't pay attention to iron here because the database is so inaccurate. I donate blood several times a year in addition to getting my annual bloodwork done and use the hemoglobin number from those tests to see if I need to eat more iron rich foods. The last 4 years all of the tests have ranged between 13 and 14 so I am good.
  • annasver
    annasver Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Annoying as I thought the scan widget would add the proper information. I’ve already started adding recipes by hand as it inserts some weird variations on foods, so I’ll have to go through and add my regular foods into the database.