Switched from yogurt to Oatmeal.

Options
OAS5
OAS5 Posts: 376 Member
Since the beginning of this crazy weight loss thing I have eaten Yogurt or Skyre for breakfast but just switched to Oatmeal with bananas mixed in. I like it quite a lot. It's always scary to change what has worked but this is not a huge deal. Any suggestions for Oatmeal that's tasty but keeping in mind not adding much calories. I'm just 10-12 pounds from goal weight. Hoping this move helps a bit. 73 down tight now, goal is 85 or around here.

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing I’d consider with this switch is making sure you are getting enough protein throughout the day. Depending on your yogurt, the oatmeal probably has much less protein, so I’d just be sure that you’re getting enough at other meals or adding something with protein to your oatmeal.

Some people like savory oatmeal rather than sweet. I haven’t tried any of these recipes, but maybe one will catch your eye: https://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/savory-oatmeal-recipes
  • OAS5
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    The biggest thing I’d consider with this switch is making sure you are getting enough protein throughout the day. Depending on your yogurt, the oatmeal probably has much less protein, so I’d just be sure that you’re getting enough at other meals or adding something with protein to your oatmeal.

Some people like savory oatmeal rather than sweet. I haven’t tried any of these recipes, but maybe one will catch your eye: https://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/savory-oatmeal-recipes

Yes, that's the first thing I thought of is I'm losing a good bit of protein. I do get a lot of protein everything but I'm still losing a bit with this move. Thanks for the advice.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    OAS5 wrote: »

Yes, that's the first thing I thought of is I'm losing a good bit of protein. I do get a lot of protein everything but I'm still losing a bit with this move. Thanks for the advice.

Protein does make some people feel full, but fiber also makes some people feel full, so you may or may not find the oatmeal as satiating as your yogurt. If you feel like you're getting hungrier earlier in the day, that could have something to do with it. Otherwise, if you're still hitting your protein target after switching to oatmeal, then I would say enjoy your oatmeal however you like it and don't worry about it :)
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    How do you make your oatmeal? If you use unsweetened almond milk you'll get back some of that protein and it's SO good!!
    Look for overnight oats recipes. I made one that called for pumpkin, almond milk, walnuts and maple syrup. It was really good and I modified it to lessen the amount of calories in the recipe. Another way I make mine is chop up an apple, add some cinnamon, water and cook it all in the microwave. That's really good too. :) I love oatmeal!
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of adding oatmeal, also. I used to squash my bananas, use almond coconut milk to make it, and add vanilla and cinnamon. It's good to mix things up, but I understand the fear of changing what's working! I'm using mango chunks (unfrozen) with Trader Joe's Organic Whole Milk Greek Yogurt and it is becoming a little too addictive!
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    OAS5 wrote: »

Protein does make some people feel full, but fiber also makes some people feel full, so you may or may not find the oatmeal as satiating as your yogurt. If you feel like you're getting hungrier earlier in the day, that could have something to do with it. Otherwise, if you're still hitting your protein target after switching to oatmeal, then I would say enjoy your oatmeal however you like it and don't worry about it :)

I switched from yogurt to oatmeal for breakfast for about a week and I became RAVENOUS for the entirety of the day after eating my oatmeal. I don't know if it was the decrease in protein for that one meal, the increase in carbs, or what, but I no longer eat oatmeal. Hopefully OP doesn't experience the same thing. If it works for OP, then I'm happy for them because oatmeal is delicious!
  • OAS5
    Options
    Well I really just started today, actually Saturday but today is the true switch in my mind and I'm not hungry at all. No difference between the yogurt and Oatmeal. I use water to cook it or heat it up. I don't want the extra calories at all from any type of milk. I use Kirkland unsweetened almond milk organic when I do drink milk. I think I'll be ok with protein because I just started drinking Fairlife protein chocolate milk and mixing with Collagen protein.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat steel cut oats cooked overnight with water in a crock pot or rice cooker. I find they keep me full longer than stove top oats.

My favorite way to eat it is with frozen wild blueberries, a little cinnamon, and a little cocoa powder. That adds a lot of flavor without a lot of calories (about 50 the way I fix it).
  • aliciap0116
    aliciap0116 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I use 1/2 cup rolled oats, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and 3/4 cup water. Microwave for 2 minutes. Then add 2 Tbsp of unsweetened almond milk, 1 tsp of flax, 1 tsp of hemp for nuttiness and texture. Then I chop 2 tbsp of crystalized ginger and add 1/2 cup to 1 cup fruit (blackberries, blueberries, apple, etc.). Total is about 300 cal. The ginger is a game changer; just don't microwave the ginger because it gets sharp.

Other options are stirring in a tbsp or 2 of plain yogurt for added creaminess and protein or topping it with chopped nuts or nut butter.

I was so sad the other day when I forgot my oatmeal at home and had to scavenge at work!!
  • OAS5
    Options
    I'm gonna stick with the Oatmeal and banana for now and down the line experiment a bit. I had a great day of not being hungry or anything so its been the same or maybe better actually. I have flavored Quaker Oats Oatmeal too in the little bags. 160 calories in one bag. I'm gonna use those too sometimes. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • OAS5
    Options
    Oh an actually I was still 5 over my protein for the day so I didn't fall behind on protein.
  • psrt
    psrt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been having for breakfast the Quaker granola I get from Costco and the Dannon Lite and Fit Greek Vanilla yougut mixed together. 290 calories, 17 grams protein and low sodium. Works well for me.
  • Blondie_130
    Blondie_130 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal and half a banana for breakfast, with a serving of natural peanut butter stirred in!! So good, and adds a bit of protein.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal and half a banana for breakfast, with a serving of natural peanut butter stirred in!! So good, and adds a bit of protein.

I'm a peanutbutterholic, I WISH it didn't come with so many calories. :( And I've tried the PB2 stuff; it just isn't the same. :/
  • OAS5
    Options
    I'm definitely going up try some peanut butter in my oatmeal this weekend. That will be my weekend variation of Oatmeal. Maybe oatmeal and banana both.
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    40 gr of oats, 200ml of half skimmed cowmilk, a good pinch of ginger (powdered), allspice and cinnamon + a sliced small banana. 5 minutes in the microwave and that's my breakfast for almost 20 years now.
    Every now and then, I'll switch to yoghurt and fruit to finish off some that will spoil and then I'm ravenous halfway through lunch; not so with the oats + milk.
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I like mixing cinnamon in, sometimes honey. Dried cranberries or other fruit, too.
  • OAS5
    Options
    aries68mc wrote: »
    I like mixing cinnamon in, sometimes honey. Dried cranberries or other fruit, too.

In mixed cinnamon in today actually with the banana. It was delicious.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I'm boring. I cook the oatmeal in half water half milk, and then add a little brown sugar, and that's it. Pecans, blueberries and banana are good in there too but I usually don't bother.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Love oatmeal with flaxseed, chia, apple chunks, pumpkin spice, extra cinnamon, and cashew milk. I'll have to try allspice!