Pros/Cons of cheat days

Options
Most of the time I do pretty well, calorie wise. Certain days are more challenging or I might binge a day a month before I can stop myself.(if you're not including the hairy holidays!)
But part of me really wants to plan a day each week where I can simply indulge without the guilt or regret that normally follows. I am within my GW range and will probably stay within it. Would it be really terrible to set aside one day a week to buy a pint of Ben and Jerry's and eat the whole thing myself(or whatever else I happened to be craving?)? I can't simply add a portion into my daily calories and call it good because I wouldn't be able to stop at 1 portion anyways. :/ I'd bring it into the house, eat it, and be done with it. Gone.

I know it's not ideal. :( But it's certainly not game-changing in the long run, is it? If I give myself permission to kinda run amok 1 day a week? Not totally amok, just a pint of ice cream amok. And not Halo either. If you have a craving, you need to fill it with what you crave. :blush:
Opinions please?

Replies

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    Very few peolpe stick to their plan in it's entirety as you have discovered. You have a trigger food that you know you will eat all of it rather than control the portions - fair enough, I have the same. Based on my experience here is what will happen;

- You plan for a cheat day, that day you go and buy the ice cream, scoffed, enjoyed, moved on
    - At some point you think rather than go on the day I'll have some ice cream in the house ready, scoffed, enjoyed, moved on. However this wasn't you cheat day, you' cheated' because it was there. Never mind you just won't do cheat day this week.
    - You still do cheat day that week.

You know there will be days you don't stick to your goal, don't actually plan for that to happen or it will happen and you will still have other days you break plan.

At the same time don't deny yourself food you clearly enjoy, make a point of going to places you can buy individual portions rather than a big tub. Not a day off-plan and you still get your favourite food.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Enlightened Ice Cream? I know, it isn't Ben and Jerry's, but a pint of the low calorie Salted Caramel and a few others are only 320 calories. That is about 1 serving of B & J
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Good points MrWobbly and yes, I could afford a once a week splurge Quiksylver, it's just the chance it might become too easy to do as MrWobbly touched upon. :)
    Nighthawk, I've never seen Enlightened Ice Cream in our stores; will have to check around.
    Thanks everybody :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call what I do a cheat day, but I save up extra calories for the weekend where I can eat in a surplus for two days. Typically it's more carbs, but it really is more of everything. For me it helps with my workout performance and adherence. That being said, it doesn't work for everyone. If you are going to be a tiger out of your cage come those days and go way over your intake, then that might not be a good plan for you. Also if you already have a low calorie intake it will be hard to bank calories each day and you might be more likely to binge.
  • eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Well, a pint of Ben and Jerry's is approximately 1000-1200 calories depending on the flavor. Do you have enough of a deficit built into your week that an extra 1000 calories won't bump you into a surplus?

Exactly this. You can have whatever you want if it fits into your daily or weekly calorie allotment. Logging will also help you decide when it is worthwhile, and keep you in control. You can try to plan in advance. For example, tonight I will go to dinner so I tried to log what i think I will eat tonight, and ate lighter during the day. There is less room for error with a tub of ice cream since the calories will be more accurate.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Ben & Jerry's has lower calorie options (at least in the US), albeit not as low as some other "light" ice cream options, but I've liked the ones I've had.

It's just important a cheat day doesn't knock you out of your deficit. If you eat too much on your cheat day, you could easily wipe out you caloric deficit for the week and put yourself in maintenance or you could even eat enough to make it so you start gaining small amounts of weight.
  • polvo71
    polvo71 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have doing mfp for several years. I’m a serial starter. I can tell you that for me when I take off the weekend I always gain back what I lose.😫 And I’m not going crazy binging etc. That has never been my problem. I might have 5 or 6 drinks over the weekend and not log in lunch and dinner. I don’t eat junk or fried food. It’s just me. I gain weight quickly and easily when I don’t track calories. So, I know I’m a lifer with this. I think if I continue to take the weekend off I’ll just have to take the suggestion from pp and focus on creating a deficit during the work week.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you can get single serving B&J at the grocery store - instead of a pint - would that work? mentally the contianer would stil be empty its just a less serving size
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of the cheat mentality. Some people do a 6 day program. A planned day off isn’t cheating. Nothing that’s planned is cheating.

The only real issue is whether it works or not. Only one way to find out.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    you can get single serving B&J at the grocery store - instead of a pint - would that work? mentally the contianer would stil be empty its just a less serving size

I live in a small town and our options in the stores here seem much more limited than other places. :( I WISH there were single size servings available but haven't seen them.

I've been checking out options of starting maintenance, etc., because I've been at 135 lb. 5'9" for a bit now. My scale even dipped to 133.5 this week but weight fluctuates so much. I take in around 1300-1500 cal. a day. I found a site yesterday with Smart BMI amounts, suggesting I don't go below that weight as it would not be beneficial and might actually be unhealthy for my age. With that said, I'm hoping I can feel good(better?) about incorporating either a cheat treat or small indulgences every so often without doing damage. I feel my current mindset is healthier than it's ever been with incorporating the 'get back to it' mantra I rely on. I just hope that's true. :blush:
    Thank you for all your thoughts and suggestions on this topic. I appreciate it very much. :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    what works...just works. Trying to reason out or justify something that doesn't is a waste of time. If going off for one day eating what you want is totally subjective. It could be an ice cream for you. It could mean nachos, large pizza, bag of chips and Chinese food to go for someone else.

So..do what ends with results that work. For me, I eat off a meal or two every week....but that meal isn't something off the charts fattening. Like this week I had a crab cake dinner. I've been able to lose and it keeps me sane and I can live my life.

Yet someones else could read this and go out and have chicken fried steak with gravy with a brownie sundae for dessert as their "meal off". They won't be losing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Most of the time I do pretty well, calorie wise. Certain days are more challenging or I might binge a day a month before I can stop myself.(if you're not including the hairy holidays!)
    But part of me really wants to plan a day each week where I can simply indulge without the guilt or regret that normally follows. I am within my GW range and will probably stay within it. Would it be really terrible to set aside one day a week to buy a pint of Ben and Jerry's and eat the whole thing myself(or whatever else I happened to be craving?)? I can't simply add a portion into my daily calories and call it good because I wouldn't be able to stop at 1 portion anyways. :/ I'd bring it into the house, eat it, and be done with it. Gone.

I know it's not ideal. :( But it's certainly not game-changing in the long run, is it? If I give myself permission to kinda run amok 1 day a week? Not totally amok, just a pint of ice cream amok. And not Halo either. If you have a craving, you need to fill it with what you crave. :blush:
    Opinions please?

I calorie bank: Eat a little under maintenance most days, to have an indulge-y meal or day some days (for me, not on a fixed schedule). This is year 4 of maintenance at a healthy weight.

Personally, I don't believe in "cheat days" in pretty much the same sense that, as an adult, I don't believe in Santa Claus. They're charming, but mythical. My body counts everything. Fit it in, eat it, log it, enjoy it, go on.

To the bolded, guilt and regret are always optional, IMO: They make me feel bad, and help nothing.

To me, it makes no sense to think of myself as a bundle of whims and impulses that overtake me sometimes, and require negative feelings to exorcize/expiate. For me, better to have plans/strategies that fit my nature/context, and that head toward my goals. Always, what I do is a decision, like it or not, own it or not. If I regularly make decisions that lead away from my most important goals, I need to rethink my plans and strategies to make achievable ones, not emotionally self-flagellate. YMMV.

Best wishes for successful maintenance! :)
  • kperk91
    kperk91 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I don't really do a cheat day - I'll have what I consider a cheat meal that still falls close to my calorie count. I usually do a cheat meal twice a week (i.e. a breakfast indulgence or pizza dinner :smiley: )

I know myself - a cheat day would lead to a cheat week and then I'd be starting over again.

Part of this new healthy lifestyle for me is learning to let myself have the little treats, but make sure I hold myself accountable for their calories. Sneaking a handful of M&Ms is no longer "calorie free" or "not that bad" or "not going to matter" because then I won't see the scale or inches go down.

I don't feel guilty about giving into a craving - but I make it work into my calories. Otherwise, I might get cranky without satisfying that craving o:)

Congrats on getting to maintenance! :)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    There are definitely days that I know will be a challenge, and I eat at maintenance when needed to stay on track.

For me, if it's tracked, then it isn't cheating.

If I'm not tracking, then I know I'm probably eating way more than I realize, so that would be cheating. I generally don't cheat...if I'm having issues with MFP, the I track on Fat Secret, and I try to avoid days that don't include tracking.

I do sometimes calorie cycle, so I eat less to bank for days when I have special events and know I will want to eat more...sometimes I eat less on cardio days and more on lifting days...sometimes I just give myself a maintenance day or two because I need the sanity check or it's PMS week, or something crazy stressful and unanticipated has happened.

You have to find what works for you long term. If you eat the ice cream and it makes you happy and you can tweak the rest of the week so you aren't gaining, then win-win!!!
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Opinions please?

How do you know it's not ideal?
    If you just drop the value-laden term cheat day from it and call it a higher calorie day, the pros and cons just become math.
    Pro - you eat a food you want to eat.
    Con - you spend longer getting to a given goal weight.
    That's really about it. It is your own life and time. Do which ever you feel you'd get the most enjoyment from.