Best running shoes for bad ankle and knee?

Options
What are some favorite running shoes for anyone that has dealt with a past ankle injury or torn acl?

Replies

• bretmartin09
    bretmartin09 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Im a big fan of Brooks !!
  • reekzino300
    reekzino300 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What are some favorite running shoes for anyone that has dealt with a past ankle injury or torn acl?
    personally i’ve had numerous bad ankle sprains on both ankles, and i run with the Nike Epic React Flyknits and they feel great, don’t even think about my ankles when i run

• NJF74
    NJF74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Brooks GTS been good for me after a achilles rupture a from a few years back. But agree on getting professional medical advice as stated by Machka9
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Your running form is now of a factor than the shoes you wear.

Personally I've had broken ankles and my preferred shoes have no cushion and minimal heel/ toe drop
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    None. What I like (or any other random internet runners like) may be different from you and your needs.

Go to a running specialty store, get a gait analysis and find a pair of shoes based on their recommendation. Maybe Brooks will be your favorite. Or maybe not. FWIW - I hate Brooks shoes (at least the 2 I've tried/purchased over the years).
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Go get fitted at a running store. Don’t buy shoes just because somebody on the internet liked them. Those people’s feet are not your feet.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I’m missing the ACL in one knee and have a history of Achilles’ tendon injury. I used to love the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 18, but the 19 felt like it kicked my leg around and the 20 seems more like the 19 than the 18. I also run wearing a light knee brace with side stabilizers. One option is to replace the insoles in a pair of shoes you like.

Definitely go to a running store, ask their recommendations, then try a bunch of shoes for yourself. “Gait analysis at a specialty running store” at my local running stores may mean an expert or it may mean a 20 year old girl who got a few minutes of training on how to sell shoes. Or worse, an expert with his own bizarre opinions on shoes. One of the reasons I’m a REI member is that REI will allow you to return shoes up to a year after purchase, no questions asked, wear them as much as you need to in order to find out if they work for you.