coconut cream

Options
paperpudding
paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
I wanted to try making this recipe https://myfoodbook.com.au/recipes/show/cherry-coconut-cheesecake-with-chocolate-crackle-base
(yes I know it isnt diet food :D;) ) - and it calls for coconut cream.

could not find any in my supermarket - looked in aisle where creamed rice and deserts like custards are, and in fridge and in aisle where long life milks are.
Found coconut milk - is that the same thing???

also would canned cherries, drained of course, work ok if I cant get fresh or frozen?

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    If you leave a can of coconut milk (the full fat version - this doesn’t work well with the ‘lighter’ product) to stand it will separate into a thick white layer and underneath a thin watery liquid. Use just the thick top part to sub for coconut cream.

As for the cherries, I think you’d be best with frozen as they will be uncooked so a close sub but canned would be ok too, if you modify step 1 a little, because the canned cherries are already cooked in the canning process and would blend without much else done to them.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Thank u Barbara.

Will give it a go and post photo of outcome.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    In the UK itt's often in the ethnic sections of supermarkets, where you would find curry pastes and soy sauce.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Thank u Barbara.

Will give it a go and post photo of outcome.

Please do!

I had a feeling it looked familiar so checked my Pinterest to find I’d pinned the exact recipe a few days ago! It looks perfectly tempting!
  • Love_2_Hike
    Love_2_Hike Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    In Oz we have Coconut Cream in the Asian section f the supermarket. Its between the sauces and the curry pastes. Ayam brand is the best.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    ujb4e8xta3xh.jpg

Thank you for the tips everyone .

i found Ayam coconut cream in Woolworths international section

Ive made chocolate crackles before, popular at childrens parties here - but seemed easier just to make base from crushed dry chocolate biscuits ( I used arnotts chocolate ripple) and melted butter rather than chocolate crackle mixture.

Chocolate drizzle on top isnt as artistic as the article's picture - and anyway I think its surplus to requirements, if I was doing again *I would just top with flakes of grated chocolate.

Of course not using chocolate crackle base and not doing chocolate drizzle on top negates need for copha- and recipe is promoted by copha manufacturers.
    Awkward :*