Scale isn’t moving?

Replies

• dsgoingtodoit
    dsgoingtodoit Posts: 803 Member
    Check out damnripped.com and play with the macros and such.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,585 Member
    Confused as to goals?

What's wrong with recomp @ maintenance/near maintenance? Which will generally look exactly like what you're doing now, i.e. no major scale changes other than normal fluctuations!

Actually. Are you using a weight trend app? The size of deficit you *should* be using--and which you do appear to be using--means that you could lose one or two lbs of fat in January, yet weigh more on January 31 than you did on January 1!
  • aidayazd95
    aidayazd95 Posts: 46 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Confused as to goals?

What's wrong with recomp @ maintenance/near maintenance? Which will generally look exactly like what you're doing now, i.e. no major scale changes other than normal fluctuations!

Actually. Are you using a weight trend app? The size of deficit you *should* be using--and which you do appear to be using--means that you could lose one or two lbs of fat in January, yet weigh more on January 31 than you did on January 1!

So I should go for “recomp”?

And no I don’t use that app, what is it exactly?

I go boot camps twice a week at my gym and other days normal weights and cardio.

And I dont count calories I just know I eat enough amount of calories to burn fat.
    Keep my protein high and try to eat less fat and carbs.

• aidayazd95
    aidayazd95 wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Confused as to goals?

So I should go for “recomp”?

And no I don’t use that app, what is it exactly?

I go boot camps twice a week at my gym and other days normal weights and cardio.

And I dont count calories I just know I eat enough amount of calories to burn fat.
    Keep my protein high and try to eat less fat and carbs.

If you don't know how much you're eating, how are you confident that the scale *should* be moving?

Yeah sure, gonna start the calories counting again maybe.
  • aidayazd95
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    Unless you have health issues, or you're lifting like a beast and on gear, there's only one reason you're not losing weight, you're eating the same number of calories that you're burning. Eat less or burn more.

What do you mean by not losing weight though? Has your weight not moved in a week or more? You can't base calculations on weight over a day or two, or three, you have to base it on what your weight is doing over a week or two so that variations due to hydration and nutrient transit aren't what you're seeing.

I mean by like a week - 2 weeks.
    Maybe yeah it’s true.. I eat more that I don’t know of.
    But all I know is I’m very active like excercise a lot and stand/walk a lot plus don’t really eat that much.

It could be the nuts, the good fats (that are high in calories) Cuz I eat a lot of that.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2020
    Unless you have health issues, or you're lifting like a beast and on gear, there's only one reason you're not losing weight, you're eating the same number of calories that you're burning. Eat less or burn more.

What do you mean by not losing weight though? Has your weight not moved in a week or more? You can't base calculations on weight over a day or two, or three, you have to base it on what your weight is doing over a week or two so that variations due to hydration and nutrient transit aren't what you're seeing.

But all I know is I’m very active like excercise a lot and stand/walk a lot plus don’t really eat that much.

It could be the nuts, the good fats (that are high in calories) Cuz I eat a lot of that.

It is totally normal to not see the scale move for 2 or 3 weeks, even when you are doing everything right, because of normal weight fluctuations.

It seems like you really don't like this answer, but the answer is that you need to be more patient, focus on your goals, and settle in for the long haul. No matter what you eat, what workouts you do, how much water you drink, etc etc, you need realistic expectations. Once you are already lean, further improvements are really slow, over months and even years, that's just real life. :smile:
  • aidayazd95
    edited January 2020
    Two weeks is no time at all at your size - when you are fairly small/light, it takes blinking ages to lose any weight (unless you amputate something).

I see

kimny72 wrote: »

It is totally normal to not see the scale move for 2 or 3 weeks, even when you are doing everything right, because of normal weight fluctuations.

It seems like you really don't like this answer, but the answer is that you need to be more patient, focus on your goals, and settle in for the long haul. No matter what you eat, what workouts you do, how much water you drink, etc etc, you need realistic expectations. Once you are already lean, further improvements are really slow, over months and even years, that's just real life. :smile:

Oh no I totally get it,
    Patience that’s exactly what I need.
    I was just curious since I’m new to the muscle building and if that could be the reason of the scale not moving/going up.
    But thank you so much :)
    mmapags wrote: »
    I'm confused. You are at a very healthy weight. Why do you want to lose more? To rework your body composition, follow the advice people have given you for recomp. But I'm not getting why you feel you need to lose weight or want the scale to move.

I know but I just wanted to be a little less or maybe it’s the body fat.
    Because when I gain weight it goes mostly in my face, my thighs and butt.
    The problem is the face, it’s still little chubby Lol and still have little bit of double chin and lower belly fat.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Ok, but I don't think losing more weight is the best choice for that. Recomp is. You will (slowly) reduce fat and add muscle. You will look great over time and should lose that last little bit of fat. But either way, it's going to be slow going and require lots of patience. When you are already fairly lean, it's hard to lose that last bit of body fat in the trouble spots.
  • aidayazd95
    Ok, but I don't think losing more weight is the best choice for that. Recomp is. You will (slowly) reduce fat and add muscle. You will look great over time and should lose that last little bit of fat. But either way, it's going to be slow going and require lots of patience. When you are already fairly lean, it's hard to lose that last bit of body fat in the trouble spots.

Got it, thank you!
    Most are saying recomp.
    I have no clue what that is exactly.

Where can I find the best info all about it? :)
    What is it exactly?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

Got it, thank you!
    Most are saying recomp.

What is it exactly?

Great thread on recomp here.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • aidayazd95
    sardelsa wrote: »

Got it, thank you!
    Most are saying recomp.

What is it exactly?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Yay thanks!
    It talks about TDEE can someone explain what is it exactly and where can I find mine?

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »

Got it, thank you!
    Most are saying recomp.

What is it exactly?

Yay thanks!
    It talks about TDEE can someone explain what is it exactly and where can I find mine?

Your TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure, the total amount of calories you need to maintain your current weight (includes the calories you burn at rest, exercise, daily activities and digestion). You can find an estimate of this number with a TDEE calculator (there are many floating around the web) you can enter your stats into a few and take the average them go from there. Otherwise if you have been tracking you can use real world data to know your total intake.

At the end of the day, whether you know your TDEE or not, you want to be maintaining your weight over time to recomp.
  • kyle0404
    kyle0404 Posts: 33 Member
    Two weeks is no time at all at your size - when you are fairly small/light, it takes blinking ages to lose any weight (unless you amputate something).

I see

kimny72 wrote: »

Oh no I totally get it,
    Patience that’s exactly what I need.
    I was just curious since I’m new to the muscle building and if that could be the reason of the scale not moving/going up.
    But thank you so much :)
    I'm confused. You are at a very healthy weight. Why do you want to lose more? To rework your body composition, follow the advice people have given you for recomp. But I'm not getting why you feel you need to lose weight or want the scale to move.

I know but I just wanted to be a little less or maybe it’s the body fat.
    Because when I gain weight it goes mostly in my face, my thighs and butt.
    The problem is the face, it’s still little chubby Lol and still have little bit of double chin and lower belly fat.

If you're not making a dramatic change in weight the scale can be very confusing, even at your size your weight could fluctuate several pounds in a day just from water. You could be losing a pound or two of fat and not seeing it on the scale if you are holding water. Likewise if you are that small but have a "chubby" face lol, it may very well be water weight held in your face. If you are holding extra water then possibly changing what foods you're eating, and tracking sodium, could be the only change needed to achieve your goals.
  • 13Strong
    13Strong Posts: 502 Member

Well, mainly loose body fat and get muscles.
    Don’t wanna get big I just want to get toned/fit how do I say it. Mainly just loose BF.

There's a smart scale by Renpho that will show Bodyfat percent, water percent and calculate muscle mass, it's +/-3% accurate from what I can tell by spot checking it against the doctor's numbers and my work place's annual wellness check. If you are interested in body fat percent- I'd look into a different scale and watch the percentages vs total pounds. To reduce body fat percent when close to ideal range, it's better to watch macros and keep up on exercise from what I've been told and some of my friends who go for abs every now and again for different competitions.