Previous Eating Disorder, now trying to diet healthy

Options
I am a 31 year old woman. When I was in highschool, aged 13-20 I had Bulimia. It took a long time, but I finally recovered from Bulimia by going to a psychiatrist and learning to love my body again etc. But then I went the complete opposite direction and learned a love for food (all the bad kinds of food) pizza, poutines, chicken wings, pasta, cake, chips etc. Now, I am at the complete opposite side of the relationship with food I was when I was a youth. I've been trying to lose the weight the healthy way this time around. I have been going to the gym doing cardio workouts for 2 hours each time, as well as keeping my calorie intake at 1300, but I have only lost 5 pounds, and I am hungry all the time.

My question is, how do I keep on my dieting without going back to binge eating or bulimia because I am feeling discouraged :( Any advise from others in the same situation who have overcome?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    What proportion of your exercise calories are you eating back, and how did you calculate them? MFP intends you to eat back all exercise calories assuming they are calculated correctly. If you’re not eating them back, you may be undereating.

Depending on your starting weight and how long you’ve been trying to lose weight, 5 pounds may be reasonable or even too fast.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    First, if you are going to workout, 1300 calories is way too low - no wonder you're hungry.

How much weight are you trying to lose? Set your goals accordingly and EAT.

I would suggest you go back to your treatment team to get you set up with a calorie and food plan.

cfpqwo9vvrsi.png

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    If the cardio is new, you are likely retaining water from that, which can mask fat loss.

You've lost 5 pounds in what amount of time? And how much weight do you have to lose total?

I agree that depending on these factors, 5 pounds could be reasonable or even too fast.
  • Mov3mor3
    Mov3mor3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hunger when losing weight is not sustainable. You are eating man made food and it's confusing your body. Try natural foods like meat and vegetables and stop eating processed foods. If that doesn't work, or you need further help, then message me and I'll help you figure it out.
  • Mov3mor3
    Options
    After41 wrote: »
    Hunger when losing weight is not sustainable. You are eating man made food and it's confusing your body. Try natural foods like meat and vegetables and stop eating processed foods. If that doesn't work, or you need further help, then message me and I'll help you figure it out.

You have no idea what s/he is eating.

What are you even talking about?

Hormones. Insulin, cortisol, ghrelin, etc.. Are you hungry? I'm not. I eat 1 meal a day. So let's see..
  • Mov3mor3
    Options

Hormones. Insulin, cortisol, ghrelin, etc.. Are you hungry? I'm not. I eat 1 meal a day. So let's see..

I'm not hungry, but thanks for caring.

This woman isn't eating enough in general and is working out two hours a day.

She suffered from bulimia in the past.

Pretty sure there's more going on there than processed food causing her to be hungry.

Number of meals is not relevant here.

That's why I told her to message me if she has further problems with hunger. There are tons of reasons, being processed foods as the most common.
  • Mov3mor3
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

I'm not hungry, but thanks for caring.

This woman isn't eating enough in general and is working out two hours a day.

She suffered from bulimia in the past.

Pretty sure there's more going on there than processed food causing her to be hungry.

Number of meals is not relevant here.

That's why I told her to message me if she has further problems with hunger. There are tons of reasons, being processed foods as the most common.

Are you a registered dietitian, or a mental health professional trained in treating eating disorders?

Straw man argument. I'm just offering help.
  • Mov3mor3
    Options
    Please quit hijacking the thread. This person needs advice on hunger. That's all I'm helping them with. If they need bulimia help, that's on their own accord. Quit with the straw man arguments. There are some foods more nutritious than other foods. Flour that has been enriched is processed. Quit with the if this food generalizations. They have no part in this discussion. Have respect.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Please quit hijacking the thread. This person needs advice on hunger. That's all I'm helping them with. If they need bulimia help, that's on their own accord. Quit with the straw man arguments. There are some foods more nutritious than other foods. Flour that has been enriched is processed. Quit with the if this food generalizations. They have no part in this discussion. Have respect.

OP is hungry because she is not eating enough for someone who is doing 2 hours of cardio per day, it's that simple.

Regarding the bolded yes there are, but you don't know what she's eating as all she has said about her current diet is:
    I've been trying to lose the weight the healthy way this time around. I have been going to the gym doing cardio workouts for 2 hours each time, as well as keeping my calorie intake at 1300,