Leg building excercises

Say what does everyone do for leg building excerises? Excluding squats and leg presses. I don’t have a leg press machine yet for my gym and I need to workout some bad pain in behind me knee before I can do squats again

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    You're SOL for now.. heal up that knee before you can do legs..

Leg extension probably not gonna help your knee issue either.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    If you've got knee problems you're going to be limited as far as what leg exercises you can do. Pretty much every muscle in your leg, above the knee, functions to support knee flexion. The only thing you're left with are muscles below the knee, basically calf muscles, and maybe some hip flexion exercises, like hip thrusts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Yup, you're kinda SOL right now.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2020
    Did you have trama that caused knee pain?

I'm confused how you plan to workout some pain.

More details are needed on what you are experiencing, training history, and goals.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    If it's in the budget, I suggest seeing a physical therapist.
  • OP I’d suggest you head on over to barbellmedicine.com and listen to their podcasts on training and pain. Might be helpful, certainly their content is evidence based and no nonsense and free of BS.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    If you can do anything (ask pt/doc), consider stationary bike.
  • smith667metal
    smith667metal Posts: 29 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »

More details are needed on what you are experiencing, training history, and goals.

Sorry should have gave more info about my situation. So if I had to guess the pain was caused from stupidity and rushing I live and work in a family farm so I do a lot of jumping outta the machinery. The pain is behind my knee really bad when I squat down just in the left knee. My goal is to build my legs bigger and stronger and actually be consistent with training legs. Also I figure it’ll just go away through strength training and stretches
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Go see a doctor.. pin point if ya "break" something than being macho of sucking it up.
  • smith667metal
    smith667metal Posts: 29 Member

Sorry should have gave more info about my situation. So if I had to guess the pain was caused from stupidity and rushing I live and work in a family farm so I do a lot of jumping outta the machinery. The pain is behind my knee really bad when I squat down just in the left knee. My goal is to build my legs bigger and stronger and actually be consistent with training legs. Also I figure it’ll just go away through strength training and stretches

Yah ok.

If things are progressing for the better over time, then with proper load management and proper stimulus things will continue to return to normal.

Not being to access you in person, I would first try different foot position for squats.
    See if different width or toe angle are comfortable.

If no luck then go through squat variations that you can achieve full ROM. Switching from low bar to high bar, SSB, front squat. Pretty much in that order.

If that doesn't help, a lesser ROM. Find a point the pain is tolerable and work from just above that. With pause or pin squats.

Next we look at step ups starting with smaller steps. If this means we use dumbbells or only body weight. That is fine as long as pain is tolerable.

Leg press is a decent option with the same protocol.

As far as volume, intensity, and frequency start on the mid low end and monitor and adjust where needed.

Since your goal is to squat again and build strength/hypertrophy...I want you to do the closest thing with specificity to the squat that you can tolerate with a caveat that things progress for the better over time.

Report back with any questions and/or good news on how the situation and training is progressing. We'd love to hear feedback.
    Thank you! Yes this sounds good I’ll give this a go and let you know how it’s works out for me thanks again!
  • DevonKaroline
    DevonKaroline Posts: 19 Member
    Great advice from @Chieflrg I'd also add that this may be a good time to focus more on glutes (hip thrust/bridge variations, hip extensions, etc.) and hamstrings (leg curl variations, Romanian deadlifts, etc.) to continue to load the lower body during this time
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Depending on the amount of pain you could start with wall sits.

For me I had some but could still squat.
    I had right knee pain last year but was able to do body weight squats and alternated with sumo squats to reduce pain when necessary. If this is not possible only do half motion squats (example sitting onto a chair or stability ball)

progress to a tensions band than then a dumbbell goblet squat.

Worked for me! No more knee pain and my quads are just starting to pop. 1 year of progress slow, but no injuries.