Not losing weight~advice please

Options
Hi!
I started myfitnesspal back in late December, and almost every day I have been under my calorie goal (lose one pound a week). However, I weighed myself yesterday and...well I seem the pounds won’t come off.
I know I can increase my protein content, but I don’t know what else to do. It quite frustrating to be eating better and not see results. (I do feel healthier, but the weight HAS to come off)

Replies

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    q1q0ay7b6y2d.png
  • tesenychristi
    tesenychristi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    bf1068 wrote: »
    Probably not what you want to hear, but you're eating too much. You are not logging accurately, for whatever reason. Tighten that up, weigh your food. Set your TDEE (as accurate as you can) and don't bother with exercise calories - TDEE should give you enough information. Give it two consistent and accurate weeks. Reassess and adjust.

What evidence do you have for this? OP didn’t say anything about how much they’re eating.

OP, how long has it been since the scale moved down at all? Your weight is not going to decrease every single week. That’s normal. You will lose fat if you’re consistently in a calorie deficit, but you shouldn’t expect the scale go to down like clockwork. If you’ve seen zero change, then you may not be in a deficit, but if you’re seeing slow change or it hasn’t been long since the scale moved down, that could be reasonable.

The scale went down intitially, but has crept back up the last week or so. My eating habits been improving (healthier snacks and more protein, less “bad” carbs). It just been frustrating since I’m hungrier now than a few weeks ago. I’m back on campus and walking up and down hills/stairs a lot.
  • tesenychristi
    tesenychristi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Probably not what you want to hear, but you're eating too much. You are not logging accurately, for whatever reason. Tighten that up, weigh your food. Set your TDEE (as accurate as you can) and don't bother with exercise calories - TDEE should give you enough information. Give it two consistent and accurate weeks. Reassess and adjust.

What evidence do you have for this? OP didn’t say anything about how much they’re eating.

OP, how long has it been since the scale moved down at all? Your weight is not going to decrease every single week. That’s normal. You will lose fat if you’re consistently in a calorie deficit, but you shouldn’t expect the scale go to down like clockwork. If you’ve seen zero change, then you may not be in a deficit, but if you’re seeing slow change or it hasn’t been long since the scale moved down, that could be reasonable.

The scale went down intitially, but has crept back up the last week or so. My eating habits been improving (healthier snacks and more protein, less “bad” carbs). It just been frustrating since I’m hungrier now than a few weeks ago. I’m back on campus and walking up and down hills/stairs a lot.
    Carbs bad or good have zero impact on weight loss. Neither do healthy versus unhealthy snacks. Log your food accurately and stay within your calorie goal. That is all that matters to weight loss. The nutritional quality of the calories you take in has an impact on your health, but doesn’t change your rate of loss.

Since you mentioned a change in activity, I’m guessing that increased hunger due to activity has been leading to portion creep. Brains are tricky that way, some people eat more overall when they exercise.

Carbs bad or good have zero impact on weight loss. Neither do healthy versus unhealthy snacks. Log your food accurately and stay within your calorie goal. That is all that matters to weight loss. The nutritional quality of the calories you take in has an impact on your health, but doesn’t change your rate of loss.

Since you mentioned a change in activity, I’m guessing that increased hunger due to activity has been leading to portion creep. Brains are tricky that way, some people eat more overall when they exercise.

I’ve still been careful about this and even bring my lunch and snack to avoid buying fast food on campus. I don’t add back in my exercise calories, so I should be in greater deficit, which is why I’m so confused as to the weight gain.

I think I’ll invest in a newer, better food scale and see if that helps
  • pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It's the same for me. I was losing weight fine for two weeks ... now the scales are stuck!

But I am not letting it get me down. I am planning on keeping this deficit going for the next seven months, so I'm trying to see it as a long-term thing.

I am eating significantly less and doing more exercise, so surely my weight HAS to change at some point.