losing weight on Megestrol? Long post about health issues.

Options
Hello,

I was diagnosed with Complex Atypical Hyperplasia ( fancy term for abnormal cells in my uterus). I'm on a medication to treat my health issues, but the medication has the side effect of weight gain, it is actually used for that purpose in some patients.

I am overweight and dont need to gain extra weight. Last i weighed myself i was at 241 lbs 5'5" and im 35 years old. i might be heavier as my clothes are fitting tighter.

To be honest, i gave up on eating healthy a few years back, i have been on every single diet and always go back to my previous way of eating. I was able to keep myself between 220-230 lbs and kept myself active at work (i walk around a lot at work). Still heavy, but i could get through my life with energy. Ever since i started on this medication i have gained 20 lbs, and feel so tired and run down. Im in pain and struggle to get up in the morning.

This pill has made my normal overeating issues, even worse. I used to emotionally eat, now i feel actual hunger all day long, so it just makes things worse.

Any advice? anyone been on meds that cause weight gain?

I'm not sure if i should get on another diet, or start making healthy changes. i feel lost and not sure what to do.

- i apologize for the long post. Its been a long three years of dealing with this health issue.

Replies

• Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've had endometrial hyperplasia since I got my kidney transplant 19 years ago (I think it's a side effect of one of the medications, but they haven't actually studied it yet). I've been on progestins ever since. I get the hunger. I've gained weight from eating too much on certain medications, but I've always been able to get things under control despite the pit.

If you're hungry and like to eat a lot, become a volume eater. I eat lot of fruits and veggies, usually raw, every day. Full fat greek yogurt has a satisfying mouthfeel and fills me more than sweetened lowfat yogurts. Tacos feel like you're indulging, but you can fill tortillas with all sorts of healthy things for fewer calories than most breads. Baked potatoes are crazy-filling, too.

Use a food scale and pay attention to what portions of what foods satisfy you. Choose a less aggressive deficit, so you don't fall into a binge cycle. Keep things simple most of the time. Save feasting for when the occasion is truly worthy (you don't have to feast for everyone's birthday; leave that to them). Resistance training is your friend. On the occasions that you do overeat, turn that energy into something useful. And have patience. You also have things like water retention working against you, so there will be a lot of ups and downs. It can be done. Good luck!
  • tere_b
    tere_b Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Vune wrote: »
    It can be done. Good luck!

thank you! it makes me feel better knowing someone else went through something similar and managed to find control.

i will try your suggestions. thank you for taking the time to respond. =)