Counting calories forever?

Options
mojavpa
mojavpa Posts: 4 Member
I weigh all my food and Im counting calories and seeing results..lost about 6 pounds in two months at 1500 calories a day. But I dont want to count calories forever. Do you count calories when youre maintaining your weight? I feel like I will have to or else Ill eat like 2500 calories a day and then Ill gain everything back.

Replies

• dunenoret
    dunenoret Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    At this stage - do you not know when you are over eating?
  • mojavpa
    mojavpa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    dunenoret wrote: »
    At this stage - do you not know when you are over eating?

Its hard to judge without counting..I can eat a lot and still not feel satiated. I gained a lot of weight these past few years and I didnt think I was binging or going crazy with eating...but 100 calories here and there added up. Especially now that Im older and my metabolism is slower.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    mojavpa wrote: »
    I weigh all my food and Im counting calories and seeing results..lost about 6 pounds in two months at 1500 calories a day. But I dont want to count calories forever. Do you count calories when youre maintaining your weight? I feel like I will have to or else Ill eat like 2500 calories a day and then Ill gain everything back.

Some people do need the accountability of logging, but others don't.

I found that by weighing foods when I was losing weight, I've become far better now at eye-balling portions.

I have taken several breaks from logging and have maintained for a month or two, on one of these occasions I actually saw a slight downward trend in my weight.

I think there are several things that need to be taken into account if you do want to forego logging:
    • Continuing to monitor weight or other method (measurements/fit of clothes).
    • Spot checking portion sizes occasionally to try and keep portion creep at bay.
    • Remembering if your routine changes to offset any drops/increases in activity by adjusting intake.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I've been logging (although pretty loosely) for about 3-4 years. I've got a bit addicted to it, but I don't weigh much at all - just guess.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    I've been logging for six years. I think it would be harder to maintain without logging than it would be to lose without logging, although I know that if I tried losing without logging I would most days have a bigger deficit than necessary, just to be sure I was in a deficit. You can't do that in maintenance. If you generally were in a deficit because you were trying to be sure, without logging, that you weren't in a surplus, you would continue to lose weight when you wanted to be at maintenance.

The other reason for logging for me is that it makes it easy for me to balance days I decide to eat more with days I decide to eat less. Trying to keep track of whether I've already "paid" for a day with pizza and beer with previous lower calorie days, or whether I need to "repay" those extra calories with some lower calories days in the future seems like a lot more work (and a lot less likely to be successful) than just continuing with logging.

But YMMV.
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've been logging 5 years as of this coming weekend - around 3 and half years of that has been while maintaining.

I'm not AS strict with it as I used to be but I find it helps keep me on track if I have a visual of what I have eaten so will probably be logging for a lot longer!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I've logged only sporadically for the last year and a half after losing 40 lbs over 7 years or so. I monitor my weight on the scale at the gym 3 to 4 times per week.

If I see an upward trend, I log until I'm back where i want to be. I tend to not fluctuate much. So, a couple of weeks up a kilo and I react to it by logging.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    It will vary by person. Not just how well you eyeball, but how much you're willing to accept fluxuations and how much you're willing to consider maintenance a process of getting a little over and reeling it back in, or if you want it to be very steady state.
    Having regular physical activity will also make a difference. There seems to be mechanisms with being active that bring appetite more in line with calorie intake.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    For me, my maintenance calories are only 1500 (before any exercise) so there's not a lot of room for regular overindulging. I went on an extended 3 month trip and only loosely logged while away. I stepped on the scale when I got home and had only gained 2 pounds. A win in my books. However, my loose logging over the past 3 years of maintenance and the recent holiday season have left me eight pounds over my "happy weight". That's not a win. So now I am back to weighing, measuring, and logging every morsal till I'm back where I want to be. So I guess the answer to your question is "it depends". Keep an eye on your weight and rein back your calories by logging when required. Or log every bite every day. You'll have to figure out what works for you when you get there.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Until the laws of physics stop being a thing, unfortunately you'll either have to count, or get into such a solid routine that you know how much you're consuming automatically. The latter works for me, but I still have to count on days when I go off my normal schedule.