Hungry Vegan

Options
Hi all

I'm 5'2 and 144 lbs. My goal weight is 120, but that means I only get 1,250 calories a day. That's not a lot of food!!! I like to eat and if I'm not careful I can easily double that in just one meal, so spreading it out to three, plus snacks...I'm just always hungry.

I'm also vegan. Does anyone have any belly filling ideas, that don't involve animal products? EVOO helps with "whole foods plant based" cooking, but TBH I don't really cook and don't really want to. So I'm eating a lot of carrots and triscuts with hummus...so much hummus...

Thank you!!!

Replies

• angeleswine
    angeleswine Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I absolutely should but I'm just so tired of all this weight. It doesn't seem like a lot but on my small frame it is. I want to feel good about how I look for the summer.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Oh, and this:

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, asparagus, green beans, squash, mushrooms. Berries, oranges, apples, strawberries. Those are my go to fillers outside of salads.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Boca makes a vegan burger that is only 70 calories and 13 g protein. Just microwave. I serve it on a "slim" bun (90 cal) with a little avocado (60-80 calories). Microwave veggies to go with it.

Much of the Sweet Earth brand frozen food is vegan. That's my go to for quick meals.

Frozen edamame pods are a great snack and are cooked in the microwave. Depending on the brand, they are 80-130 calories and have a good amount of protein. I also like that they take time to eat. I feel full after eating them.

I also like the dry roasted edamame as a snack.

Protein powder was actually a game changer for me. I was hungry all the time before adding it to smoothies. I really like Garden of Life Raw Organic Unflavored and Unsweetened (plant based).
  • nuzziek
    nuzziek Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm a a happy and full vegan. You want to make sure you're getting enough protein, first of all. Beyond that, I find volume eating to keep me full. I eat GIANT bowls of steamed vegetables with dinner every night (w/ a cup of beans or lentils for the protein). Lunch is a gigantic salad with nothing but raw veggies and a boca burger on top (the one mentioned in the previous post). Try to cut back on the olive oil - it's very calorie dense - eat your veggies steamed or raw. As others have mentioned, you might want to choose a less aggressive deficit or work out more.
  • GeminiLady159
    GeminiLady159 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Mentioned above, but I’ll second it: eat larger quantities of low cal nutritional veggies like broccoli, greens, cauliflower, etc. with every meal. And of course look at protein too. The extra volume and fiber with more vegs will help you feel fuller and with fewer calories than more triscuits and hummus (which I now want lol).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    nuzziek wrote: »
    I'm a a happy and full vegan. You want to make sure you're getting enough protein, first of all. Beyond that, I find volume eating to keep me full. I eat GIANT bowls of steamed vegetables with dinner every night (w/ a cup of beans or lentils for the protein). Lunch is a gigantic salad with nothing but raw veggies and a boca burger on top (the one mentioned in the previous post). Try to cut back on the olive oil - it's very calorie dense - eat your veggies steamed or raw. As others have mentioned, you might want to choose a less aggressive deficit or work out more.

@angeleswine speaking of lentils, they are very easy to cook, IMO. A lentil and veggie soup would be very filling.

But if you don't want to cook and have the budget for buying premade soup, Pacific and Amy's are two of many brands that make vegan lentil soup. Progresso Vegetable Lentil With Roasted Vegetables Soup says vegetarian but unless I'm missing something, it looks vegan and would be easier on your budget than the first two brands https://www.walmart.com/ip/8-pack-Progresso-Vegetable-Lentil-With-Roasted-Vegetables-Soup-19-oz/917911412
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It's all about that FIBER! Eat more beans and other fiber-rich foods. I'm never hungry on days when I get my 50+ grams of fiber. Make sure you're hitting your protein goals and getting a B12 supplement, too!
  • mtsprout
    mtsprout Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Higher protein, fiber, and fat will fill you up! I'm also vegan and make a soymilk and powdered peanut butter shake every morning (220 kcal, 23g protein). It does wonders for me. I also set higher goals for protein and fat and lower for carb because I stay fuller that way. Grab a small spoon of peanut butter, munch on some homemade coleslaw, drink broth instead of water. I've lost 52 lbs in a little less than a year, and I felt hungry all the time at the beginning, but now my stomach has adjusted.
  • runrunveg
    runrunveg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’m in a similar boat (but with more to lose) and I’d second the protein comment many have made. I can easily meet a 1200 calorie goal most days as long as I get enough protein. Beans, hummus and tofu are *ok* sources of protein, but sorry to say, the processed stuff is far more protein-dense. I’ve recently started eating an Impossible Burger (by itself, no bun, seasoned) as my usual breakfast/lunch (1 meal—I don’t do both), then a regular-sized balanced dinner (e.g. tofu with veggies and noodles or beans +veggies +quinoa or some such) and usually at some point a light snack of usually fruit or veggies. It has been way easier getting a big serving of protein early in the day than trying to restrict calories on a low-protein diet. In fact, I think the main reason I gained a lot of weight after moving here 5 years ago is that it’s a much less vegan-friendly area than the larger cities I lived in before, and I found it really hard to get enough protein, or any healthy vegan options at restaurants and catered events and I was always hungry. It’s gotten better, thankfully!

Unless you have a medical condition requiring frequent meals/snacks, it might not be in your best interest to eat 5+ times/day. Regardless of popular wisdom on that, I think not everyone has more success eating smaller, more frequent meals. I don’t, and really can’t if I want to run without getting either weak or sick to my stomach. You might experiment to see what works best for you.

My other suggestion would be to exercise more if you can, to allow for a slightly higher calorie budget.
  • OliverRaningerVegan
    Options
    I love #vegan food
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I just finished a 3-session vegan cooking course taught by a non-vegan clinical dietitian. I hate to say this, but you need to learn to cook. There are lots of things you can do to make it less painful (canned beans instead of dried, frozen precut vegetables, cut your vegetables for the week in advance all at once), but you need to learn to cook some. Even if it’s just heating up beans in jarred tomato sauce and then serving it with whole wheat toast. Or making a stir-fry with tofu and shredded vegetables from a bag served with brown rice.

We learned that a *balanced* vegan diet has tons of vegetables with some fruit, a lot of whole grains, a moderate amount of legumes and leafy greens, and a small amount of fats and oils from sources like nuts, olives, avocados, etc.