Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) - The days/weeks after?

Options
Muscleflex79
Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
edited January 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all, I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has had PRP done for the knee and what they were able/not able to do in the weeks/month afterwards. I'm having PRP done for my knee next week (after years of other failed treatments/surgeries - this is the last stop before a replacement).

Obviously I'm going to ask the doctor what exactly I can do/not do, but have been reading up online and heard everything from return to normal activity the next day to being on crutches for a couple weeks! I'm wondering mainly if I'll have to stop all lower body workouts? Stop yoga? Ease back on all activity? etc.

Hoping for some real life experience stories so I can have an idea of what my next month of workouts will look like before I get a chance to ask the doc. Thanks!

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    My wife had it done for a torn rotator cuff. She swore it helped her immensely to finally heal. It was a smaller, but painful tear. I'm not sure why anyone would be on crutches. Makes no sense but the internet is full of whacky stuff. Just listen to what your doc tells you and good luck!
  • Muscleflex79
    Options
    My wife had it done for a torn rotator cuff. She swore it helped her immensely to finally heal. It was a smaller, but painful tear. I'm not sure why anyone would be on crutches. Makes no sense but the internet is full of whacky stuff. Just listen to what your doc tells you and good luck!

thanks, it was actually a real-life person that told me he was on crutches for two weeks - seemed a bit drastic to me! most of what I read online talked about being back to normal stuff pretty quickly.

glad to hear it helped your wife! I've read a lot of not so promising stuff about the outcome, so it is good to hear something positive!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I had a PRP injection into an achilles last year and my brother has had PRP on both his knee and his big toe. In both cases, the recovery was fast and no crutches needed.
  • Muscleflex79
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    I had a PRP injection into an achilles last year and my brother has had PRP on both his knee and his big toe. In both cases, the recovery was fast and no crutches needed.

thanks! was there anything the doctor told you not to do right away (im thinking workout wise). I did ask the doctor a long time ago (before I was seriously considering the PRP) and I remember him saying you don't want to do anything that could interfere with the healing -thats the part I need clarification from the doc on what exactly that means.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

thanks! was there anything the doctor told you not to do right away (im thinking workout wise). I did ask the doctor a long time ago (before I was seriously considering the PRP) and I remember him saying you don't want to do anything that could interfere with the healing-thats the part I need clarification from the doc on what exactly that means.

I wish I could give you some help, but I had other factors in play (lower back). PRP recovery was only part of the equation. I didn't take too long, but I also went through months of chiropractic care before I resumed running.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I had in done to my elbow in November 2019. It was so painful for the first week that I was regretting having the procedure, but after a couple of weeks of physical therapy, the pain was gone except for first thing in the morning. After six weeks of physical therapy my arm felt better and stronger than it had in a very long time.

My treatment was more than just an injection. It involved breaking up a lot of scar tissue and my arm was completely immobilized for the first few days.
  • Muscleflex79
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    I had in done to my elbow in November 2019. It was so painful for the first week that I was regretting having the procedure, but after a couple of weeks of physical therapy, the pain was gone except for first thing in the morning. After six weeks of physical therapy my arm felt better and stronger than it had in a very long time.

My treatment was more than just an injection. It involved breaking up a lot of scar tissue and my arm was completely immobilized for the first few days.

thanks! great to hear these positive stories!