Lack of sleep

Options
This is my tenth day on 1860 cal. I am staying late in bed with wide open eyes struggling to sleep. Anyone else experiencing the same problem ? could it be that my body is trying to adjust to fewer calories, less fuel ?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Anasqarman wrote: »
    This is my tenth day on 1860 cal. I am staying late in bed with wide open eyes struggling to sleep. Anyone else experiencing the same problem ? could it be that my body is trying to adjust to fewer calories, less fuel ?

Is hunger keeping you awake? Have you changed your eating schedule? Are you accustomed to having a snack before bed?

How much weight do you have to lose and how fast did you tell MFP you wanted to lose it?

• erizo19
    erizo19 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yup, when I eat less I get a huge energy boost- I think it’s my body telling me to go out and hunt/gather more calories? It can keep me awake if I don’t exercise enough to tire myself out. Oh, and 24-hour fasting gave me CRAZY insomnia. But the effects are the most intense when I make a big cut, and they even out within a few days or weeks, maybe it’ll be the same for you?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Is hunger keeping you awake? Have you changed your eating schedule? Are you accustomed to having a snack before bed?

How much weight do you have to lose and how fast did you tell MFP you wanted to lose it?

I'd also like to know the answers to these questions.

Regular exercise helps me sleep, and lately I've been adding yoga not long before bed, which helps shut off my brain.

I do save calories for a bed time snack.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising close to bedtime, that could keep you up. Exercise energizes some people and makes others tired. I do cardio and lift early in the morning; evening is for my yoga.

If you've changed your caffeine intake--either more caffeine and/or caffeine later in the day--that could do it too. I cut out all caffeine by 1 pm at the very latest, preferably by noon.

Going to bed too hungry can keep you up, but some people also have trouble sleeping on a very full stomach. I personally do best if I go to bed satiated or slightly hungry.

It's also worth looking at any other changes you might have made in that time--new projects at work, new medication, etc. Your diet/exercise might have nothing to do with it other than coincidence.
  • Anasqarman
    Anasqarman Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Yes I think hunger keeps me awake. I feel empty stomach. I normally snack before bed time, which lm still doing but very small portions/light snacks. I need to lose 10-15kg, I'm doing 0.5 kg per week, 2 kg a month.
  • Anasqarman
    Options
    erizo19 wrote: »
    Yup, when I eat less I get a huge energy boost- I think it’s my body telling me to go out and hunt/gather more calories? It can keep me awake if I don’t exercise enough to tire myself out. Oh, and 24-hour fasting gave me CRAZY insomnia. But the effects are the most intense when I make a big cut, and they even out within a few days or weeks, maybe it’ll be the same for you?

I think it is the glucose spike that helps my body relax and sleep easily. I would have long day at work forgetting to eat anything, comes the end of day and l treat mysdlf well. Thinking about it now,food is an addiction...
  • Anasqarman
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    If you're exercising close to bedtime, that could keep you up. Exercise energizes some people and makes others tired. I do cardio and lift early in the morning; evening is for my yoga.

If you've changed your caffeine intake--either more caffeine and/or caffeine later in the day--that could do it too. I cut out all caffeine by 1 pm at the very latest, preferably by noon.

Going to bed too hungry can keep you up, but some people also have trouble sleeping on a very full stomach. I personally do best if I go to bed satiated or slightly hungry.

It's also worth looking at any other changes you might have made in that time--new projects at work, new medication, etc. Your diet/exercise might have nothing to do with it other than coincidence.

I was diagnosed with GERD few years back. I took proton pump inhibitors for 2 year and just decided to stop a month a go cutting coffee and eating smaller portions. I have did some cardio tonight will see how my body will react. But I lm really getting tired, it has been the same for almost a week now.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

I was diagnosed with GERD few years back. I took proton pump inhibitors for 2 year and just decided to stop a month a go cutting coffee and eating smaller portions. I have did some cardio tonight will see how my body will react. But I lm really getting tired, it has been the same for almost a week now.

Does that mean you stopped taking your medication? Did you talk to your doctor before stopping it? GERD is a common cause of sleep problems.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    If I drop carbs too low I have a heck of a time with sleep!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    plan a snack right before bed - the first thing that goes in my food diary each day is my pre-bed bowl of cereal
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    plan a snack right before bed - the first thing that goes in my food diary each day is my pre-bed bowl of cereal

This.

Also, you need to be eating your calorie goal plus at least a portion of your exercise. Your calorie goal should also be based on an appropriate rate of loss:

j5pkiw1lajr4.png

Sleep deprivation is no good for many reasons. Specific to weight loss it can increase hunger and lower your NEAT. It can also raise cortisol which will make the bathroom scale go up or at least not go down. This can be disheartening to people who have not been losing for very long even if it has nothing to do with fat weight.