Need some common sense

I literally just came from getting oral surgery. I did not realize that for the next two weeks (until they remove the sutures) i am going to have severe restrictions on excersize activity. I need to discontinue all exercise for a week and even then I should limit activity. This is essential to healing. There are also food restrictions but I think I can work around them to still eat within my calories (which will be far fewer without the activity).

So I know I am being completely irrational but I am freaking out at the thought of not exercising and not getting my steps in. I run 4-6 miles 4x a week and take barre class twice a week. I walk everywhere and average 20K steps a day. I am a 5’4” woman who weighs 132 and I’m 2 pounds away from my goal of 130. I have lost 30 pounds.

Running and walking are what keep me sane. I know this just for 1-2 weeks but the shock of it is just messing with me mentally, even though I know I am being crazy. It’s like I’m afraid I’m going get fat again in one week, even if I keep the calories in check (which I usually get more bc the exercise).

I will calm down. I just need a voice of reason to remind me I will be just fine and it is not the end of the world not to exercise for 2 weeks and that healing is what is important. I know I’m being irrational, I just didn’t realize this would be the case and am freaking out a bit.

Thanks everyone

Replies

• canthony3505
    canthony3505 Posts: 35 Member
    I've had oral and other surgeries that set me back in a similar way and it is infuriating in a way, but your body will appreciate the rest and your mind will adjust in a few days. It's tough, I won't lie, but you'll come back with a vengeance when you are able.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    Hope you heal quickly! In the meantime, take the time you need so that you don't set yourself back farther by doing too much too soon.

I've had a few injuries myself over the years and although the set backs are hard they really make you appreciate the ability to be active. Makes me much less likely to skip a workout just because I might not feel like it at the moment. I remember the times when I couldn't work out and how I felt.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited January 2020
    You'll be ok.

I took 3 months off from rowing 5k meters/day to heal from an elbow procedure. Just started rowing again and am aleadybout of shape but am working back up to it

Still maintained my wt between 147-152 just thru cal control. So, no reason 2worry about regaining any wt unless u go off ur diet
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    If you have surgery, follow the doctor's instructions exactly. You'll heal faster and be able to get back to your normal routine. If you don't follow those instructions things will get nasty and waste much more of your time in the long run.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    +1 for maintenance eating to the point that you are able so that your body has adequate nutrition (micro and macro nutrients) to heal. Having some experience with maintenance is also good practice for when you get to goal. (Note: a scale gain of a few pounds is totally normal as your body is moving more through your gut and requires more water to do so. Freak not.) Walking is probably OK.
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Thanks so much everyone - all good advice
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    So how is your recovery? How are you feeling? And where's the puppy picture I'm expecting?