children and homework.

Options
2»

Replies

• kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    7 and 9 is not 'old enough' to do it themselves....

is too.

That's ridiculous... maybe at 9, they are more responsible... but what kind of 1st or 2nd grader is just going to think, oh yeah, I have homework, I should put it in my bag. The teacher should be helping children put their work in their bag.

And actually, yeah, my MSEd lets me know it's not DAP to expect a 7 year old or a 9 year old to remember those things... kids are impulsive creatures, they don't have the minds of an adult to plan out what they need... therefore they aren't... it's a parent's (or in this case nanny's responsibility with the aid of the teacher to help the child be successful.... we raise children...they don't just KNOW these things, they have to be taught to systematically thing in ways and they need to be reminded.
  • shelleilei
    shelleilei Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    They need some type of binder that's only for homework. If the teacher gives them something for homework then they just slip it into the binder to take home. I believe they are both old enough to have the responsibility of taking home what they need to but I also feel that (for the 7 year old) the teacher needs to help somewhat in reminding them to bring home assignments.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    7 and 9 is not 'old enough' to do it themselves....

is too.

That's ridiculous... maybe at 9, they are more responsible... but what kind of 1st or 2nd grader is just going to think, oh yeah, I have homework, I should put it in my bag. The teacher should be helping children put their work in their bag.

And actually, yeah, my MSEd lets me know it's not DAP to expect a 7 year old or a 9 year old to remember those things... kids are impulsive creatures, they don't have the minds of an adult to plan out what they need... therefore they aren't... it's a parent's (or in this case nanny's responsibility with the aid of the teacher to help the child be successful.... we raise children...they don't just KNOW these things, they have to be taught to systematically thing in ways and they need to be reminded.

all of that's in place. they are getting reminders and guidance in the classroom as well as from their parents and myself. they are just being little slackers right now. they are certainly old enough to make sure those materials get out the door. as stated earlier, it's not like they just landed in a classroom for the first time ever. children are capable of much more than adults typically give them credit for. i just don't believe that enabling and coddling are ever developmentally appropriate practices.
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    They need some type of binder that's only for homework. If the teacher gives them something for homework then they just slip it into the binder to take home.

that's exactly what the 7 year old has! they keep it on pouches on the backs of their chairs - i think it's a fairly common setup for lower grade levels.
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have a 12 year old who has been forgetting his homework since he was in Grade 1. I've tried the laid back approach, the punishing route, the grounding route and the forcing him to go back to get his work. Nothing has worked. He's forgetful. Just because he's 12 doesn't mean that I just have to just let him. I'm not willing to sacrifice his grades or his learning. But I don't go get it for him. I check his agenda where his teacher has had her students write down their homework and if it's not there he goes back to school and gets it and then has to spend whatever it takes finishing his work.

This is working for him so he'll continue to get grounded, go back and pick up his work and I'll continue to nag him about it.

And, to be honest, if your employer is asking you to do something to assist her children, it's your job to do it. If you have some sort of reservations about the morality or principle behind what you're behind asked to do, then maybe you're working with the wrong family.
  • crittytn
    Options
    I have an almost 9-year old, a 7-year old and a 5-year old. You forget your stuff, I substitute with work I come up with. It is definitely not a free pass. And, yes, they are old enough to remember and be responsible for it. Forgetting once in a while is different than doing it every day.

In fact, I had the kids in school in SE Asia where nannies rule the school. The school was forever sending home information asking that families require the KIDS to be responsible for packing and unpacking their own school bags, helping pack their lunches, dressing themselves, doing chores, etc. and it started at kinder. There are plenty of age appropriate ways to teach responsibility and children love to feel responsible for their stuff when you allow them the chance!
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    And, to be honest, if your employer is asking you to do something to assist her children, it's your job to do it.

obviously.
  • chanstriste13
    Options
    I have an almost 9-year old, a 7-year old and a 5-year old. You forget your stuff, I substitute with work I come up with. It is definitely not a free pass. And, yes, they are old enough to remember and be responsible for it. Forgetting once in a while is different than doing it every day.

In fact, I had the kids in school in SE Asia where nannies rule the school. The school was forever sending home information asking that families require the KIDS to be responsible for packing and unpacking their own school bags, helping pack their lunches, dressing themselves, doing chores, etc. and it started at kinder. There are plenty of age appropriate ways to teach responsibility and children love to feel responsible for their stuff when you allow them the chance!

*dig* this!