Should I eat my step calories while trying to lose weight?

Options
I'm trying to lose weight at 1lbs a week. I use my pixel to track my steps and it's synced to my fitnesspal. I usually have about 5k steps on my days off and around 15k steps on days that I work. If I put my activity level to sedentary (atm it's at lightly active), I should... in my head be able to eat those calories I gain from walking back correct? Or am I making this more complicated for myself lol.

Replies

• ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up to eat back calories. People vary in how many they eat back-some do all, some start with a percentage and see if they are loosing weight as they are set to. I typically eat most of mine and lost 24 pounds doing it that way. I at least make sure my net is over 1200.
  • roxyrobitaille
    roxyrobitaille Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Why would you eat your out calories if you want to lose weight. Shouldn’t you have a calorie deficiency in order to lose weight?
  • egsteinlen
    egsteinlen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    It is either or. You either increase your activity level which will give you a higher base calorie amount or you eat some or all of your exercise calories derived from steps.

You could even try 2 weeks of one then swap to 2 weeks of the other to compare methods. The "right" way is whatever is easiest for you to use.

I'll have to try that. Thank you!

• Britxclarity
    Britxclarity Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack this thread but I have something around the same question. I do not want to eat back my exercise calories in fear that my apple watch may not be accurate. That and honestly I do not be hungry. I think my journal is open if anyone wants to take a look at it. Reason im asking is because I seem to go up and down on the scale and it's so annoying and discouraging.

I do 30min of this walk away the pounds YouTube video three to four times a week. I weigh everything on a food scale and I also drink a gallon of water a day ( jug from hydromate ) Along with doing intermittent fasting 16:8. So my question is am I sabotaging myself from not eating back my calories?
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    kayfaei wrote: »
    Not to hijack this thread but I have something around the same question. I do not want to eat back my exercise calories in fear that my apple watch may not be accurate. That and honestly I do not be hungry. I think my journal is open if anyone wants to take a look at it. Reason im asking is because I seem to go up and down on the scale and it's so annoying and discouraging.

I do 30min of this walk away the pounds YouTube video three to four times a week. I weigh everything on a food scale and I also drink a gallon of water a day ( jug from hydromate ) Along with doing intermittent fasting 16:8. So my question is am I sabotaging myself from not eating back my calories?

You're right to be suspicious of the calories calculated form activity. They're all calculated on some pretty rough estimates in order to apply to the general population rather than you specifically. That said, they're going to get you into the right ballpark and give you something to build from.

In order to hone in on a calorie burn more specific to you takes a little bit of maths and a little bit of patience. The idea is that via some trial and error you can get a pretty good idea of how many of those activity calories you should eat back.

To do this you start by eating back 50% of the activity calories. Do this for a month or so then take a look at your weigh in results. If you're losing at more or less the predicted rate then congrats you've found your number. Keep eating back 50%. More likely however you'll discover that you're losing weight a little faster or a little slower than expected. If you're rate of loss is less than predicted reduce the % of activity calories you're eating, if you're weight is dropping quicker than expected then you can increase the % of activity calories you're eating and thereby making your weight loss progress easier to maintain.

Each month or so repeat the process, check your actual progress against your expected progress, make any adjustments needed. From there, it's a case of rinse and repeat until you've honed in on your personalised number.

Not eating those extra calories won't cause you to stop losing weight directly as it's only increasing your calorie deficit. However it's not unthinkable (and perhaps even likely) that not eating back activity calories might cause you to be in an unsustainable and overly aggressive calorie deficit which can trigger overeating to compensate.

The walking video will do wonders for your health and fitness but won't really have much of a noticeable on your weight for the most part. Do the videos for fitness not weight loss.

Drinking water (or any fluids really) is important for hydration. There's no magic 'drink this amount' each day number. As long as you're drinking when you're thirsty you'll be fine. If you want to confirm that you're hydrated just check your pee. As long as it's a pale/straw yellow you're all good.

16:8 or any other eating or fasting approach doesn't inherently impact your weight. They can be useful tools for some people who find that eating/not eating at a specific times or in a certain pattern makes it easier for them to manage their calorie intake and maintain the required calorie deficit needed for weight loss.

G'luck
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

Your diary is not open.

Going up and down on the scale is common. I have done it for 2 years now. Over a long enough period of time though it will continue to go down if you are in a calorie deficit.

Read this:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

The rest of my advice would pretty much mirror @danp so there is no much point in making you read the same thing twice.

• Britxclarity
    Britxclarity Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much @Danp and @NovusDies I will definitely follow the advice
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    egsteinlen wrote: »
    I'm trying to lose weight at 1lbs a week. I use my pixel to track my steps and it's synced to my fitnesspal. I usually have about 5k steps on my days off and around 15k steps on days that I work. If I put my activity level to sedentary (atm it's at lightly active), I should... in my head be able to eat those calories I gain from walking back correct? Or am I making this more complicated for myself lol.

Correct.

Because during setup you are attempting to tell MFP a non-exercise daily activity level.
    It has 4 rough levels available.
    Obviously we don't burn the same daily. Perhaps a level is correct on a daily average. Perhaps you are right smack in the middle of levels though.

As your steps and daily burn from Pixel probably show - you are very variable and go across all 4 levels.

You are merely allowing MFP to correct itself to a better estimate.

And then it takes off a deficit in order to lose fat.

Still causing you to eat less than you burn.

Take the correction.

• heybales
    Options

If you are syncing accounts, MFP to Apple - then you are getting a worse effect.

Any activity calories above an Apple Sedentary figure (close to MFP sedentary) are NOT synced over to MFP.
    Only the Sedentary figure is synced over.
    And workouts you log on Apple sync over. Which you seem to indicate.

And you know the one totally wrong calorie count for a workout? Zero. Absolutely always wrong.
    Did you know nutrition labels are allowed to be upwards of 20% off from what's in container - never mind you logging accurately?
    Does that mean you'll log food as Zero also since not accurate?
    Apply the same logic.

Anyway, Apples method is incorrect and causes the opposite effect - it doesn't appear you burned more, but actually less. Don't sync account.

If you mean you merely used the MFP app to say to use Apple as step source, then MFP is getting a step count and estimating distance and calories.
    Could be rough, usually on low side it seems.

But dittos to watch and adjust.
  • pence429
    pence429 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think everyone tends to make this overly complicated with their graphs and long lectures. If you are hungry, eat them back. If you're not, don't.
  • heybales
    Options
    pence429 wrote: »
    I think everyone tends to make this overly complicated with their graphs and long lectures. If you are hungry, eat them back. If you're not, don't.

You aware the vast majority of people are here attempting to lose fat gained because they ate when they felt hungry.

And you can cause your body to adapt in negative ways if you have too big a deficit for awhile, and not feel hungry though the body is needing more calories/nutrients.

The lengthy comments is for education and knowledge that many people are lacking.

So....
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    pence429 wrote: »

Not everyone has reliable hunger cues that are a guide to when they actually need food. Some people aren't hungry when they need to eat more. And, obviously, lots of people are hungry when they need to eat less.
  • egsteinlen
    egsteinlen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not everyone has reliable hunger cues that are a guide to when they actually need food. Some people aren't hungry when they need to eat more. And, obviously, lots of people are hungry when they need to eat less.
    This is true for me. I get "hunger cues" when I'm stressed/anxious. Over the last month of keeping track of what I'm eating, I find it easier to tell when I'm actually hungry and when I just want to eat because of stress.