Pain in joints while running - push through or rest?

I started running about a month ago. I'm currently running 2 miles at a 9 min pace then doing 1 min walk, 90 second run until about 3 miles.

In about the last week I've gotten to the point where I'm not super tired after the run, and I could run through the full 3 miles, but I don't because my knees and hips are a little sore. In other words, my limiting factor before was my lungs, but now it's joints. After I'm at about 1-1.5 miles the joint pain decreases, so I could somewhat easily continue, I just stop because I'm nervous.

I've started taking more rest days and doing other things like biking on other days, but biking just seems so boring and I don't get the endorphin high.

Is joint pain (definitely/maybe/definitely not) something I can push through?

Replies

• devoutacademic
    devoutacademic Posts: 2 Member
    The tendons and connective tissue is not used to the strain that you are putting on it, but luckily just like your muscles and aerobic system these tissues will also adapt as you continue to train. The issue, as you are observing, is that the connective tissues adapt much slower. It is great that you are being mindful of this. If you let your (rapidly improving!) strength and aerobic capacity be your limiting factor then you will risk injury.

The best course of action will be to continue to monitor the pain and discomfort, and do not increase your load until it is getting better. Of course if it gets worse then back off! In the meantime if you want to keep increasing your aerobic load then your best option might be to find a more scenic biking route ;P
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    How many days a week do you run and what mileage??
  • shewhoismany
    shewhoismany Posts: 182 Member
    How are your shoes? I had terrible knee pain until I changed my shoes. The right shoes for me literally ended the pain in a day.
  • Urun4me
    Urun4me Posts: 37 Member
    Thanks, I should mention it's all inside the gym, so running is on the treadmill and biking is on a stationary bike.

I was running 6 days per week, but after my first good run last Wednesday (when I started to feel the joints) I've only run 3 days since.
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    What type of program are you using on the stationary bike? It sounds like you started with too much volume. It might have been better to start with running 1 mile every other day for two weeks then add a quarter mile to that every week or two. As noted above, tendons and connective tissues adapt slower. The blood supply is much lower to these tissues so the recover slower. An every other day schedule allows time for recovery/repair of these tissues.

Regarding the stationary bike you can try doing intervals based on your current condition. Fairly easy to do if the bike has heart rate and or power/watts information.
  • ianwhite5555
    ianwhite5555 Posts: 17 Member
    Spooky (or not, considering the anoint of people running). I used to have to train /run as part of a career so I when I had an injury ending event I just found training boring and didn't bother. Till 6 months ago. So like the OP did, my running times came down and my distances increased exponentially. Great. Heart and lungs flying! Never giving out how every much I push. Muscles, general soreness because they are new to being worked. But my body, especially my joints are somewhat creaking, sometimes painfully. I feel if I stop I just won't bother again, so I shut the pain out. Especially the knees and ankles. Hips are fine.
    50 year old running between 25-50 miles a week. Mainly flat, but seaside so lots of strong winds in different directions mixing up tempo /interval/sprints /slow/fast runs.
    For the moment I'm wrapping everything in neoprene hoping the extra support will help..... Or not....?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    Switch to every other day for your running for now. When you can run for 30 minutes straight without pain. Add a day. Slow down your pace. You should not feel like you have to pant or hold on when you run. It should feel easy. Increase your running segments if that feels comfortable. Instead of 90 seconds, do 120 seconds, then 180 seconds, etc. Slowly increase the duration of your runs. Couch to 5k is a good program for increasing the run segments, or you can do it on your own.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Sounds like too much too soon. Slow down, get fitted at a running store for proper shoes, take 1-2 days rest between each run. General rule of thumb is not to increase weekly mileage by more than 1% per week to avoid injury.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    I agree with those who suggest "too much too soon". There should always be a rest day between running days. Also, don't increase your running distance too much. Move forward slowly.

Shoes are important. A good Running Store will ensure you have the shoes that fit your gait. And wear is important. When my shoes wear out, it's often my knees that start to ache; either knees or my legs feel "heavy" during a run.

All of your body systems progress at different rates. Your heart and lungs are usually the first to strengthen, your tendons & ligaments are the last. They will catch up in time. Until that point, it's a matter of taking it easy and having patience.

Welcome to the world of running. It's a good place to be. Keep us posted on your progress.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Most likely too much too soon. I have been running for 5 years and don't run 6 days a week. I am glad to hear that you didn't push through. I believe the general rule of thumb to avoid injury is don't add more than 10% per week. New shoes if you are running on old shoes. Also, if you are going to run...keep your shoes just for running to be able to track mileage. Replace them every 300 to 400 miles.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    I made the mistake of trying to push through knee pain and 11 years later I still have knee pain. So learn from me and don't :)

Now hamstring pain, that I can push through, or fix fast with a foam roller and some yoga.
  • emmamcgarity
    Most likely too much too soon. I have been running for 5 years and don't run 6 days a week. I am glad to hear that you didn't push through. I believe the general rule of thumb to avoid injury is don't add more than 10% per week. New shoes if you are running on old shoes. Also, if you are going to run...keep your shoes just for running to be able to track mileage. Replace them every 300 to 400 miles.
    ^ this - my response has a typo and should have stated 10% maximum increase in mileage per week is what is recommended. I inadvertently left off a zero... sigh
  • Urun4me
    How are your shoes? I had terrible knee pain until I changed my shoes. The right shoes for me literally ended the pain in a day.

I run with Asics that is the same style and size that was recommended to me about 5 years ago when I was running more and got fitted, gait analyzed, etc. Maybe I should go do it again in case something has changed. The shoes I'm wearing are new and I only use them while inside the gym. I'm tracking miles and plan to replace at 250-300 (because of my weight).
    jbruced wrote: »
    What type of program are you using on the stationary bike? It sounds like you started with too much volume. It might have been better to start with running 1 mile every other day for two weeks then add a quarter mile to that every week or two. As noted above, tendons and connective tissues adapt slower. The blood supply is much lower to these tissues so the recover slower. An every other day schedule allows time for recovery/repair of these tissues.

Regarding the stationary bike you can try doing intervals based on your current condition. Fairly easy to do if the bike has heart rate and or power/watts information.

I was nervous that if I took more than a day or two off each week that I wouldn't be able to get into the habit and I would just quit, which has happened several times before in the last several years. At this point I'm craving running, so I'm not too worried about that. On the bike I just set it to 30 min and ride, and sometimes adjust the resistance based on my speed.
    jm_1234 wrote: »
    A few things to consider on your next run:
    How loud are your steps on the treadmill?
    How is your foot strike? Heel, toe, fore, 50/50...
    How is your form?
    How is your weight?
    Do you use the same treadmill or different ones?

Most of the above relates to bad form causing too much impact. A higher weight and going too fast can also cause too much impact. Some treadmills are too stiff which can also cause pain.

Without knowing much I would say watch your form, go slower, have a .5% incline, cross train (bike) every other day, and if your weight is high consider lowering it before running. If you're a new runner I recommend building total weekly mileage rather than any kind of pace/speed goals. HIIT gets a lot of attention, but if your goal is weight loss then LISS can be just as effective if you have the time.

My running form and foot strike is generally pretty good. I weigh between 245 and 250 (5-11) and I have no doubt that that has contributed, at least partially, to the pain. I'm not super interested in HIIT even if it's ultimately more efficient for my goals. I like the feeling of just being able to run for a long time. When I was in shape about 5 years ago I was watching a football game, the game got to halftime without me focusing on how long I was running and I had run 10 miles accidentally when my usual was around 5.
  • Urun4me
    PaytraB wrote: »
    Your heart and lungs are usually the first to strengthen, your tendons & ligaments are the last. They will catch up in time. Until that point, it's a matter of taking it easy and having patience.

Unfortunately patience isn't one of my strong points, but I'm recognizing the need to be cautious.
    ^ this - my response has a typo and should have stated 10% maximum increase in mileage per week is what is recommended. I inadvertently left off a zero... sigh

I figured 😁.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Urun4me wrote: »

I run with Asics that is the same style and size that was recommended to me about 5 years ago when I was running more and got fitted, gait analyzed, etc. Maybe I should go do it again in case something has changed. The shoes I'm wearing are new and I only use them while inside the gym. I'm tracking miles and plan to replace at 250-300 (because of my weight).
    jbruced wrote: »

I was nervous that if I took more than a day or two off each week that I wouldn't be able to get into the habit and I would just quit, which has happened several times before in the last several years. At this point I'm craving running, so I'm not too worried about that. On the bike I just set it to 30 min and ride, and sometimes adjust the resistance based on my speed.
    jm_1234 wrote: »
    A few things to consider on your next run:
    How loud are your steps on the treadmill?
    How is your foot strike? Heel, toe, fore, 50/50...
    How is your form?
    How is your weight?
    Do you use the same treadmill or different ones?

Most of the above relates to bad form causing too much impact. A higher weight and going too fast can also cause too much impact. Some treadmills are too stiff which can also cause pain.

Without knowing much I would say watch your form, go slower, have a .5% incline, cross train (bike) every other day, and if your weight is high consider lowering it before running. If you're a new runner I recommend building total weekly mileage rather than any kind of pace/speed goals. HIIT gets a lot of attention, but if your goal is weight loss then LISS can be just as effective if you have the time.

My running form and foot strike is generally pretty good. I weigh between 245 and 250 (5-11) and I have no doubt that that has contributed, at least partially, to the pain. I'm not super interested in HIIT even if it's ultimately more efficient for my goals. I like the feeling of just being able to run for a long time. When I was in shape about 5 years ago I was watching a football game, the game got to halftime without me focusing on how long I was running and I had run 10 miles accidentally when my usual was around 5.

If your weight has changed in the 5 years since you got your shoes fitted, you may need a different shoe now. Heavier runners and lighter runners sometimes have different shoe needs. Additionally, the style of shoe may have been redesigned, your gait may have changed for some other reason, etc. I would go back to the running store and be re-evaluated.

I would recommend that new runners take at least every other day off. Doing too much too soon is a good way to get injured as others have said.

I would also strongly recommend not doing something like running 10 miles if you have not worked up to that distance!

Overall, I would not push through pain. I did that last spring and I'm still dealing with nagging ITBS issues. I am currently not running for at least a couple weeks, which is VERY hard. "A little soreness" can signal DOMS, which usually isn't a problem, or it can signal injury, and it can be hard to tell those things apart if you're not experienced. Heck, it can be hard for experienced folks to make themselves stop running when they're injured.

I would rest until the pain goes away, and after that, follow a structured training program like C25K.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Nooo don't damage your joints! Go see an orthopedic doctor who can analyze things like how your feet hit the ground, what kind of shoes you need, exercises you may need to balance muscle strength etc. Once things are busted, it's much harder to claw your way back. Address it now.
  • Urun4me
    As an update, I ran again today, focusing on various aspects of my run.

At 2 min I started to feel some slight pain in the lateral right hip. At 8 min that pain was gone, and started to develop some slight pain in the lateral right knee area which lasted for 4 minutes, and was then gone. I continued running for another 4 minutes with generally no pain. Then did my walk - run - walk.

I'm going tomorrow to get my gait and strike analyzed for a shoe suggestion tomorrow.

I appreciate the recommendation for a doctor, but don't really feel like that's quite the correct profession I should be looking to. In school I had access to some top quality professionals who could assist with these kinds of things, but a general orthapedist is unlikely to be particularly helpful, especially where I live. And it's pretty difficult to get a session with a top quality sports trainer for just one session to check me out, hence the question here from experienced runners.

I do appreciate everyone's advice, and plan to do more non impact cardio for at least a week despite how boring it is. I think I basically needed the confirmation that I'm not being a lazy fat guy for letting the pain subside.
  • emmamcgarity
    Urun4me wrote: »
    As an update, I ran again today, focusing on various aspects of my run.

At 2 min I started to feel some slight pain in the lateral right hip. At 8 min that pain was gone, and started to develop some slight pain in the lateral right knee area which lasted for 4 minutes, and was then gone. I continued running for another 4 minutes with generally no pain. Then did my walk - run - walk.

I'm going tomorrow to get my gait and strike analyzed for a shoe suggestion tomorrow.

I appreciate the recommendation for a doctor, but don't really feel like that's quite the correct profession I should be looking to. In school I had access to some top quality professionals who could assist with these kinds of things, but a general orthapedist is unlikely to be particularly helpful, especially where I live. And it's pretty difficult to get a session with a top quality sports trainer for just one session to check me out, hence the question here from experienced runners.

I do appreciate everyone's advice, and plan to do more non impact cardio for at least a week despite how boring it is. I think I basically needed the confirmation that I'm not being a lazy fat guy for letting the pain subside.

FWIW I started running a year ago and am currently returning to running after 8 weeks off due to a hamstring injury. One of the important aspects of my rehab was addressing the issue that caused the injury. This meant focusing on strength training and including cross training in ways that included lateral movement. My gut says your knee issues are related to the hip pain you experienced. I think the pain is related to muscle imbalance and overuse. You might consider cutting back on your mileage and focus on incorporating a plan to address the imbalance. I’ve linked an article below you may find interesting.

https://www.active.com/running/articles/hip-strengthening-and-mobility-exercises-for-runners

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited February 2020
    Don't push through the pain. You probably don't yet have the muscle strength built up to protect the joints even if you have the cardiovascular capacity.

Try longer rest periods between runs. If you are running every day try running alternating days instead. Running gives your body the signal to build but the building happens during the rests between runs. The older we get the longer those rests have to be because we build slower.