Thyroid?....

Options
I would like to know if anyone else on here deals with hypothyroidism or has had there thyroid removed. And if you have I would like to hear of your success. I am a cancer survivor and had thyroid cancer almost three years ago.I had my whole thyroid removed and have hypothyroidism. I seem to take a few pounds off and if I just relax a little will put it back on in a snap. So I have never tried the calorie thing and I am hoping in will work for me. I REALLY need this to work for me. If you have any tips for me or suggestion's it will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• klouh14
    Options
    hello there,
    i am not sure if i have thyroid problems but i get blood taken a week ago to check and see.
    i am so happy that you beat your cancer and i wish you luck on your weight loss journey!
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have a Thyroid condition and I go back and forth often from high to low! However, I have my blood tested every 8 weeks to monitor it! I have not had any issues! I talked to my doctor and he told me if I am aware of what is going in vs what is going out there should be no impact. 83 pounds later I would have to say it has not impact!

Congrats on being a Survivor!!!! That is so amazing to hear!
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    If your replacement hormone dose is well regulated, you should see great results when you start counting your calories and activity. Congratulations on beating your cancer and good luck getting in shape!
  • SydandPaigesMom
    SydandPaigesMom Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid killed off with RAI almost 6 years ago. After I developed hypothyroidism and take synthroid as a replacement.

So far just the counting calories and daily exercise is working for me. 25 lbs down in 11 weeks. Good luck :)
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    Hi! I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism a little over 3 years ago. I started this MFP journey (all round healthier me journey) near the end of June. I have lost over 29 pounds so far. It's possible but everyday is a challenge.
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I had thyroid cancer in 2006. My entire thyroid is removed. I was 29 when it happened, 34 now. The whole reason I was even diagnosed was because I had put on 60lbs seemingly out of nowhere and decided to go to an endocrinologist since my family has a history of thyroid problems...but not Cancer. That was just me. I was at my highest weight ever and have spend the past few years gaining and losing the same 20lbs. But this year, I finally crossed below the line that I hovered over for so long and now am about 15lbs even lower. So I am losing. I started logging on sparkpeople first, then on here. You can lose weight. Synthetic thyroid is different than natural so I don't believe any doctor who says it isn't. As Cancer survivors they actually keep our levels very high so that we are pretty much HYPER thyroid which is why I thought it would be easy to lose weight or it would drop off with minimal effort. (I had Hashimotos thyroiditis in addition to the Cancer). In actuality, I found that being so hyper all the time made me hungry. So my grandfather had hyperthyroidism and he wittled down tooo skinny, but my great aunt had it and she got fatter, too. So it's not just me. She was ravenous all the time.
    Being more active and not having a desk job anymore definitely helped me from noticing hunger and I felt better overall. Also, being over 5 years clean, the doctors don't think my medicine needs to be quite so high anymore so I think being less hyper has helped me this year be able to lose weight. That and not eating out frequently, keeping moving, limiting fast or processed food (but I do work it in to my calories if I really want it to avoid a complete fall off the wagon). I used to think weekends were free and I could eat well all week and then not pay attention on the weekend, but I think that messes up your insulin levels as well as just counterbalances all the work you just did so you can't create a deficit to lose pounds.
    So, your metabolism is different and it may take a bit of tweaking before you find the right dose of your synthetic thyroid, but it's not impossible!
  • ludke
    ludke Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Dizzygirl12,
    First of all, congratulations on being a survivor!
    I've had hypothyroidism for a very long time and take medication daily. I've found it a little more difficult to lose weight over the years, but now that I've been using MFP for about 4 months, I've taken off some weight. I've always been active, but now I'm learning how to manage my calories better and eat foods that help my metabolism more. As for tips, I find that working out in the morning is better for me. I tend to get tired in the afternoon, and need some downtime after work. Check with your doctor and they should be able to tell you more. I know mine has been very helpful with any questions I've had.
  • grammy04
    Options
    I have been hypothyroid for over 20 years now and have struggled to lose weight and keep it off, I don't know if this is going to work for you, but what I can say it that it has helped me take a look at what I am doing and clearly some of my struggles have been about what I am putting into my body. The best advice I can give you is to give this your best try, you never know what the results will be unless you try, and it certainly isn't going to cause you any harm.
  • dizzygirl12
    dizzygirl12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    thank you and good luck to you.:smile:
  • m5johnson
    m5johnson Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Congrats on beating the cancer!!

My mom is having her thyroid removed in two weeks. Non-cancerous masses that are getting too large. This post caught my attention because I am interested in what she might be dealing with once it's removed.
  • TexaSyl
    Options
    Hi, I'm Sylvia from Texas. I had my thyroid removed 5 yrs ago. Doctor has never been able to stablize me, I yo yo from .75-175 to 200mg of synthroid! i dont like it. I lose a few lbs n yes, gain them it seems overnight! I seem to be ok for about three months then I go whacko again , extreemly tired all the time. I also have diabetes. since 09. :( I am happy to hear of your sucess, Its great that you beat it.My momma had thyroid cancer in 75 and is now almost 85! and going strong , amen! Wish continued health! thanks for sharing
  • starpi22
    Options
    Hypothyroid here!

I gained 70 pounds by the time the Doctors knew what was going on, I actually demanded for them to test my TSH.
    It has been an uphill battle, and I'm the same way if I relax for a second the pounds pile on. So far I have lost about 14 lbs.
    I found a great Endocrinologist that suggested a low carb diet. it has really helped. I think that Hypo's can beat this weight thing even if our losses are slower than most :-)
  • courtneylyna
    Options
    I have had hypothyroidism my entire life~born without a thyroid. I have gone up and down, but never been over 200 lbs. until last pregnancy (almost 9 months ago). It has always come off slow for me, but making sure your dosage is correct, being sensible with diet, and keeping active always helps me get back on track. It definitely seems to be slower for me than for others, but I love my sweets and hate to exercise, so that could have something to do with it :-) You can do it!! Do you take something for T-3 as well as T-4, or just T-4?
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I take levothyroxin. I am able to take weight off slowly.

The calorie counting, weighing and measuring food really helps. I don't know if it is different if you have had your entire thyroid removed, but I do find that every year or two mine goes out of wack where I either need to take more levothyroxin or less.

For me, weight bearing exercise is very important in addition to diet. It seems to give me that extra umph in metabolism that allows for the slow weight loss. I do weight bearing exercise three times a week and cardio at least three times a week. It seems if I let the weight bearing exercise slack I slow down a lot.

I have been dealing with an underactive thyroid for over 45 years. I am post cancer and taking medicines for which one side effect can be weight gain and I am still losing, but slowly, slowly, slowly. I was not successful with the weightloss until I accepted and embraced the slowness. I have lost over 50 pounds in five years. To my mind it is more like 100 or 150 (since I have not gained from the medicine). I weigh myself on a digital scale once a week at the Y and celebrate 1/10 lb increments the way some people celebrate lbs.

Good luck. It can be done, but it requires patience.
  • dizzygirl12
    dizzygirl12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so very much! And showgirlbody you know your stuff girlie. Thanks for all the info you had to share with me. As far as low carb that too was suggested to me by my doctor being that I also deal with some diabetic issues. I think it is all triggered from our thyroid. People don't realize how much our thyroid does. And to m5johnson all I can say from my experience is when they were trying to adjust my meds and even now sometimes I felt very moody and overwhelmed. So just remember when you mom is acting crazy the synthroid or which ever she chooses needs to be adjusted or she may have to much. It's like PMS on steroids when your unbalanced. Well thanks again.:smile::smile: :smile:
  • countinonme
    Options
    My son has it.. born without one... in box me and we chat...
  • ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have had mine removed but as the cancer was the size of a golf ball and had just began spreading they want me to ALWAYS be on the high end on my levels so normally I can eat anything and not gain. I have heart pains from it *angry face* because my heart beats crazy fast sometimes (like 120 sitting jumps to 160-80 standing), I get nervous and paranoid, have trouble sleeping. Anyway that is better than low and I only swing that way if i don't take my tablets or am pregnant. Well two of my children have asthma and have needed hospitalization monthly before being put on stronger drugs so in the stress of watching their meds I was forgetting to take mine and put on a stack of weight.

3 years ago just after I had my twins I was diagnosed with bipolar! Well it was actually just that my body had started absorbing the meds different and my levels were soooo high I was toxic and it causes you to become manic much like being low causes depression.

I had mine removed when I was 12 cancer treatment at 13 and am now 22. BTW anyone reading you NEED to go to the gp and up your dose for pregnancy it was a miracle my son wasn't born retarded because my dose was so low for being pregnant for the first trimester. Actually it was a miracle i had him at all because if your low it can be very hard to get and sustain a pregnancy

I am pretty sure I have swung high again because I am getting chest pains, weight is sliding off way too fast and I am having trouble sleeping.
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    The endocrine system is very complex. All these little hormones have important jobs. I tend to agree that they are connected. I also have PCOS so I just consider my whole endocrine system a mess...thyroid, estrogen, testosterone, insulin. With PCOS you tend to be insulin resistant/pre diabetic. So an issue with your ovaries and your sex hormones, also affects how your body processes insulin. Which came first the insulin resistance or the high testosterone? Who knows? But basically the hormones are tricky little buggers and finding balance can be hard. So it works for you or against you in terms of weight loss, but it still comes down to calories in and calories out. Maybe the balance of calories helps ones body process more efficiently so low carb may help just like some conditions benefit from altering your diet in a different way, no wheat, dairy, etc. I don't like to be too restrictive and just try to eat the best that I can.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Does anyone what distinguishes Levothyroxin from Synthyroid? Are they the same thing different names?
  • Bethywethy93
    Options
    when I was 16 I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid carcinoma cancer. Thats where the cancer starts in your thyroid, but in my case it went to my lymph nodes and lungs. I had my thyroid removed along with all the lymph nodes in my chest and neck. Right after I had i-131 radiation to help get rid of the cancer. Then I was put on levothyrexine.
    Um, after my surgery I lost about ten pounds. I see no difference in my weight at all. I did lose some hair, but that was because of the no- iodine (salt) diet they put me on before radiatoin.
    I just learned that t stay healthy I need to keep exersizing and eating well. (fruits and vegtables) Over eating will make me feel sluggish.
    I am now 18 and have been cancer free for about 4 months.