Need Motivation to Get up Early!

I need motivation to get up and run BEFORE work! Yes, that means leaving by 5:30 AM to get my run in. I struggle. Mostly because I get on my phone as soon as I wake up. It charges by my bed as I use it as a secondary alarm clock. I need to motivate myself to STOP playing on my phone and getting up to run. I was on it for just over an hour this morning before putting it down to get ready for work. I'm to addicted to my phone in the morning. I need to stop!
«1

Replies

  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 211 Member
    What is your reason or motivation to run? I ask because maybe that might not be stronger than the motivation or desire to play on the phone.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,095 Member
    Because I love to run. Getting it done in the morning, means I don't need to try to get it in when I get home. I'm training for a half-marathon. My runs are starting to get to long to do on my lunch break at work.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,095 Member
    YellowD0gs wrote: »
    I used to be an alarm-clock kind of guy to wake up at 5:30 every day. That was my routine to get to work, and after a few years it wasn't much of a thing to get up then. Then 3 years ago, we got a Labrador retriever who sleeps on the floor right next to the bed. I swear that dog can tell time, cuz at 5:20 every day, she's sitting by the bed staring at me. Sometimes she'll put a paw on the bed just hard enough that I can feel it, and that gets me up. But whatever, she's waiting for me before the alarm clock goes off to be fed and let outside. This has gone on long-enough that I don't need my alarm clock anymore, and knowing she "really" needs to be let out is plenty of motivation to get up and get going. It's gotten so bad that I can't sleep past 5:30 even when I traveling or camping or otherwise not at home...I'm getting up at 5:20 and that's that. Haven't used an alarm clock since we got the dog. So, my suggestion is to get a dog that can tell time...that'll get you going! :D

    I had a cat that was good at that. (I'm not a dog person.) However, where I live I'm not allowed either.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,095 Member
    mgfit2020 wrote: »
    I used to feel terribly guilty for spending time on my phone when I first got up (I mean basically every "wellness" resource out there claims this is bad for you) and then one day I just realized that I LIKE having that 30-40 minutes in bed, coffee in hand, browsing my feeds, checking the news, and slowly waking up my brain. So instead of fighting it every day I built it into my schedule: I get up a bit earlier and have 45 minutes dedicated to coffee and phone time, and then I get up and go run. Instead of feeling like I "should" be doing something else (aka getting out and running--which I also love) because I've scheduled both things into my morning I'm doing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing in that moment, which somehow makes it easier to pop on my shoes and get out the door as soon as my coffee is done or the 45 minutes are up, whichever comes first.

    It already goes off at 4:30 (and every 5 minutes between 4:30 and 5:00) I need to have my Bible study time before my run. Depending on the length I need to do, I need to leave between 5:45-6:00. I need to be home to get ready for work by 6:30, as I leave for my bus at 7:10.
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 211 Member
    angf0679 wrote: »
    Because I love to run. Getting it done in the morning, means I don't need to try to get it in when I get home. I'm training for a half-marathon. My runs are starting to get to long to do on my lunch break at work.

    A couple questions come to mind. 1) Are you training for a specific half marathon on a specific date in the near future or are you training to do an unspecified half marathon sometime later this year? 2) what is your reason for not wanting to run after work?

    Please know that I am not being critical of you; just trying to find a way to help you find the motivation you are looking for.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,273 Member
    angf0679 wrote: »
    I need motivation to get up and run BEFORE work! Yes, that means leaving by 5:30 AM to get my run in. I struggle. Mostly because I get on my phone as soon as I wake up. It charges by my bed as I use it as a secondary alarm clock. I need to motivate myself to STOP playing on my phone and getting up to run. I was on it for just over an hour this morning before putting it down to get ready for work. I'm to addicted to my phone in the morning. I need to stop!

    Do you end up running later in the day then or skip it?

    Just comes down to what is more important. We all have 24 hours in a day. The hour on the phone in the morning may be taking away from something more beneficial.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,095 Member
    jbruced wrote: »
    angf0679 wrote: »
    Because I love to run. Getting it done in the morning, means I don't need to try to get it in when I get home. I'm training for a half-marathon. My runs are starting to get to long to do on my lunch break at work.

    A couple questions come to mind. 1) Are you training for a specific half marathon on a specific date in the near future or are you training to do an unspecified half marathon sometime later this year? 2) what is your reason for not wanting to run after work?

    Please know that I am not being critical of you; just trying to find a way to help you find the motivation you are looking for.

    1) I'm training for half on April 18. I'm not registered for it yet, as I still need the money to. However, I'm not starting my training after I register, as it would only be 1-2 months way at that point!!!

    2) I just find it hard sometimes to get back out the door. It's easier if I pack a snack to eat around 4pm, so I'm not so hungry when I get home. Running after work usually means it's past 8pm before supper.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,095 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    angf0679 wrote: »
    I need motivation to get up and run BEFORE work! Yes, that means leaving by 5:30 AM to get my run in. I struggle. Mostly because I get on my phone as soon as I wake up. It charges by my bed as I use it as a secondary alarm clock. I need to motivate myself to STOP playing on my phone and getting up to run. I was on it for just over an hour this morning before putting it down to get ready for work. I'm to addicted to my phone in the morning. I need to stop!

    Do you end up running later in the day then or skip it?

    Just comes down to what is more important. We all have 24 hours in a day. The hour on the phone in the morning may be taking away from something more beneficial.

    Mixture of both. Tuesday I didn't get up on time but did get myself out the door later. Last night I couldn't make myself get out for my 6k run. It was to long for a lunch run (I need 10 minutes before and after the run for changing) and the wind was so bitterly cold last night, I couldn't bring up the courage to go!
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,095 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    You don't need motivation you need a little discipline and you need to avoid temptation. Do your Bible study with an actual Bible and from now on you are not allowed to engage with your phone until after you run.

    I wouldn't even keep it by the bed until the habit takes hold.

    I actually do use my actual Bible. I have a Bible app, but I rarely use it.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    I do not think you have a motivation issue, I really believe motivation is one of the most overused words around.

    I noticed you have a number of items you say YOU NEED TO DO. But is that really true? Are you sure it is a NEED VS a WANT?

    If the phone is an issue, move it away from the bed, buy a real alarm clock, and make a new habit get out of bed when it goes off. Do not get in habit of playing the snooze button game.

    Is it a need or want that Bible Study must be done at beginning of day?

    Maybe changing some of your priorities and when you actually do them during the day will help you get them all done during the day.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 859 Member
    Know what made me more of a morning person? Not getting jolted out of bed by an alarm. I got a "dawn simulator" that wakes you up with gradually increasing amounts of light, and then if you sleep through that, it starts in with soft nature sounds that progressively get louder. It's rechargeable so you don't have to buy batteries and cost me about twenty bucks. I really like the temple bell setting, it's so relaxing, but at the same time wakes me up. You can have loons or water sounds too. Because of this I get up around 5 every morning and don't mind and I used to be one of those who felt bad if they got up before 10.

    Anyway, keeping that by your bed and your phone somewhere away from your bed may help. Also keeping everything you need to run close at hand is nice - like running shoes by the door, that kind of thing. That way you can get your dopamine hit by running instead of the phone. All the best to you!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    angf0679 wrote: »
    jbruced wrote: »
    angf0679 wrote: »
    Because I love to run. Getting it done in the morning, means I don't need to try to get it in when I get home. I'm training for a half-marathon. My runs are starting to get to long to do on my lunch break at work.

    A couple questions come to mind. 1) Are you training for a specific half marathon on a specific date in the near future or are you training to do an unspecified half marathon sometime later this year? 2) what is your reason for not wanting to run after work?

    Please know that I am not being critical of you; just trying to find a way to help you find the motivation you are looking for.

    1) I'm training for half on April 18. I'm not registered for it yet, as I still need the money to. However, I'm not starting my training after I register, as it would only be 1-2 months way at that point!!!

    2) I just find it hard sometimes to get back out the door. It's easier if I pack a snack to eat around 4pm, so I'm not so hungry when I get home. Running after work usually means it's past 8pm before supper.

    The bolded is not a problem unless you are hungrier than you would be normally and you eat more than you need.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 628 Member
    Ugh, I'm going to apologise in advance if this sounds harsh, I do have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about phones.

    They are a phenomenal waste of time, if it is a positive relaxing activity then that's great. If it's preventing you from doing something you want to, that is a choice - one you can own and change.

    Why not just wait until you're on the bus?
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,095 Member

    Is it a need or want that Bible Study must be done at beginning of day?

    That is very much a need.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,095 Member

    Why not just wait until you're on the bus?

    No WIFI on the bus :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,002 Member
    I'm not a runner and definitely not good with more intensive exercise in the AM as I am generally not a morning person, but I was a get up and get on my phone first thing guy. I would grab my phone and my coffee and head out to the patio and sit and go through social media or the news or whatever and watch the sunrise. I would sit there and do that for 30-45 minutes before I'd go start getting ready for work.

    I'm kind of a morning fog, groggy riser, so that's how I woke myself up but it always felt like such a waste of productive time. I decided that I and my dog would be better served to go for a walk in the morning. I have a desk job so I don't get a whole lot of movement throughout the day outside of deliberate exercise after work and thought that would be a good way to just add a bit more activity.

    I used to use my phone as an alarm as well so the phone was the first thing in front of me in the morning and just hard to put down. I bought myself a sunrise alarm clock and started leaving my phone in the kitchen overnight. I was surprised at how much easier I woke up with the new alarm clock and felt better than just being jolted awake by the alarm. Then I just made it a point to put my clothes on and get my coffee in a travel mug and get my dogs stuff and go out. The first week or two was actually kind of hard because it was such a habit to grab my phone...but it got way easier after that and it's just a phenomenal way to get my day started.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,965 Member
    I agree with others, put your phone somewhere else. Leave it downstairs in the kitchen (or wherever). use a real alarm clock. To me it's not a matter of motivation. You just have to make a choice. Do you want to form new habits? How bad do you want to? Yes getting out of bed early in the morning is hard. It takes me a few tries, but once you actually do it that first time, it gets easier from there. The more you do it, the more it will become part of your daily routine and won't seem like anything out of the ordinary.

    I have a planner this year with a goals feature built in. There is a spot for my annual goals, monthly goals, and weekly goals. There is a spot on each weekly spread for daily habits, so I get to check mark each day that I complete each habit that I'm trying to adopt. I am a lot more likely to actually do those habits that I put on there because I love getting to check them off as complete. May sound stupid, but it works for me. I love working towards goals and writing them down in my planner makes them more concrete and then I am more likely to actually complete them.