Peloton Bike

Options
Hello,
Just did my first ride on the Peloton bike, and loved it.
Can you connect the workouts here like you can an app like MapMyRun? Also, how do you log? My bike said 245 calories, but the "spinning" option here showed much fewer calories, so I chose "cycling - moderate" which was closer.
Thanks in advance, Lauren

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I think Peleton bones have power meters. Did yours report watts? If so and if it's measured accurately, you'll need a metabolic ward to get better numbers than the bike gives you.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I've never used the Peloton Bike (though it looks amazing), but the problem with all calorie-burn estimators is that, well, they're estimators. I would use the Peloton's estimate as a way to gauge how intense your workout is. For instance, today it said 245 calories. In future workouts, keep shooting for that number until it doesn't feel challenging anymore. Then shoot for 300. Then 350. Then 400. You get the idea!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I thought they synced with Strava, and indeed with watts - so the calorie burn is super accurate.
    Unless they have different models that don't have it, I saw plenty during the winter with stats from Peloton bike.

And Strava syncs with MFP - so there's the workout synced in with best calorie burn.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Does the display on the bike tell you your average watts for the duration of your workout?

If it does (and it uses the appropriate formula - not all bikes do!) then its calorie estimate will be both accurate and net calories not gross.

If you can recall or review your duration, average watts and the calorie estimate given I or someone else can verify it for you.

PS - if accurate I would log under the category "peloton" and insert your own numbers.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I've never used the Peloton Bike (though it looks amazing), but the problem with all calorie-burn estimators is that, well, they're estimators. I would use the Peloton's estimate as a way to gauge how intense your workout is. For instance, today it said 245 calories. In future workouts, keep shooting for that number until it doesn't feel challenging anymore. Then shoot for 300. Then 350. Then 400. You get the idea!

FYI,

Calories can be measured, and not just estimated. That should be obvious because estimates would be meaningless if they weren't tied to some kind of reality. A bike is a special case in the exercise world, you can't estimate calories very well because it's an efficient machine that was invented to save time and effort. But calories on a bike can be measured very well. In almost exactly the way your bathroom scale measures your weight instead of estimating it. If Peleton is doing everything right (which, for a $3k indoor bike, they should be) the calorie numbers they produce have a maximum error of +/- 2.5%, which is pretty good.
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options

FYI,

Calories can be measured, and not just estimated. That should be obvious because estimates would be meaningless if they weren't tied to some kind of reality. A bike is a special case in the exercise world, you can't estimate calories very well because it's an efficient machine that was invented to save time and effort. But calories on a bike can be measured very well. In almost exactly the way your bathroom scale measures your weight instead of estimating it. If Peleton is doing everything right (which, for a $3k indoor bike, they should be) the calorie numbers they produce have a maximum error of +/- 2.5%, which is pretty good.

I've owned one since 2016 and I can't say enough wonderful things about this product. It provides data on total and avg. output, distance, avg. cadence, calories, avg. resistance & speed. Within this set of metrics you can get even more detailed info on each and track how well you performed throughout the ride, so yes, it is a very accurate depiction of calorie burn and performance.
    I paid 2k for mine and didn't realize they were now selling for 3k. The monthly membership is a fraction of what I would pay for a gym membership where I live but I get my money's worth because I use their classes daily. My friends think I'm nuts to pay $40 for the monthly fee but that fee grants me access to treadmill classes (I'm primarily a long distance runner), yoga, strength training, etc. I am using their marathon training program as I train for my marathon this fall. I think the instructors are amazing.
    It's certainly no replacement for outdoor cycling (just as a treadmill is no replacement for road/trail running), but I am fearful of riding outdoors so it works for me!
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Just did my first ride on the Peloton bike, and loved it.
    Can you connect the workouts here like you can an app like MapMyRun? Also, how do you log? My bike said 245 calories, but the "spinning" option here showed much fewer calories, so I chose "cycling - moderate" which was closer.
    Thanks in advance, Lauren

do you use a smart watch? It connected to my Garmin (through Strava if I remember correctly), and then to MFP. When I used fitbit, it was an automatic sync.
    Congrats! You are going to love it! I've had mine for almost three years and still use it almost every other day depending on my race training schedule :)
  • nksinha
    nksinha Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can see your calories on Peleton. Click on your profile. Then go to the activity tab. You click on your workout and it gives you all your stats. Calories, ave speed, max speed, etc
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

FYI,

From what I've seen, the bike massively overinflates watts. If that's not right, how can the work estimate be right?

However! It could just display too high numbers to make people feel good and calculate off a real number.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »

FYI,

From what I've seen, the bike massively overinflates watts. If that's not right, how can the work estimate be right?

However! It could just display too high numbers to make people feel good and calculate off a real number.

Ray Maker (of DC Rainmaker) recently managed to fly a peloton from Los Vegas back to his home in Amsterdam. It'll be interesting to see read his review and look at the power meter's accuracy.