Pre Diabetic

Options
Joined yesterday as I have been told I am pre diabetic so need to get more active and sort my bad eating habits 😊 any dietary advice would be appreciated and some friend adds for motivation πŸ‘ thank you

Replies

• debzabercrombie
    debzabercrombie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you 😊
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Joined yesterday as I have been told I am pre diabetic so need to get more active and sort my bad eating habits 😊 any dietary advice would be appreciated and some friend adds for motivation πŸ‘ thank you

The good thing here is that being pre-diabetic isn't a diagnosis of disease...it's a warning that things need to change. For most people, including myself, losing weight and being more active are the most important things for getting those glucose numbers back into the normal/optimal range.

I didn't have a particularly bad diet to start with, I was just overweight and sedentary. I did give up full sugar sodas which I drank a lot of, but that was probably my biggest unhealthy choice and it cut down significantly on sugar. I had a few other things going on like high cholesterol and triglycerides and blood pressure as well, so I started eating more veg and fruit and tried to get at least close to the RDA of veg and fruit. I started eating more lean meats and protein sources and eating fish 2-3 times per week. I also started eating more fibrous carbohydrates like beans, lentils, oats, quinoa, brown and wild rice, etc. I also worked up to being active and exercising 7 days per week...two of those days are really light exercise like walking. I'm of the opinion that moving more was the biggest key followed by losing weight. Being sedentary is really bad for us.
  • debzabercrombie
    Options
    Thank you this is really helpful 😊
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as prediabetic a few years ago. My doc then put me on Metformin. A few months later I was in hospital for something else and they asked me about my health history. I told them I was prediabetic and they asked if I was on any meds. I said yes and the reply was "then you are diabetic". So what I was I can't tell you but losing 100 lbs has returned my blood sugars to normal. My doc has taken me off the medication and my blood sugar continues to be normal. I walk 8,000 steps or more 6 days a week and watch my carb intake. That's all it took for me.
  • debzabercrombie
    Options
    Wow thank you ladies I am so sorry I have taken this long to reply I didn’t have a notification I had replies and just checked on the off chance , this is all very helpful valuable advice and I really appreciate it . Thank you. BTW I am 59 years old and work full time , I do 3 to 4 12 hour days but I have started batch cooking and looking at portion control , joined a gym and reading as much online re diabetes and pre diabetes. Thank you 😊
  • TheresaEdwardsmfp
    TheresaEdwardsmfp Posts: 64 Member
    Options

My dad has been told the same, and it does seem very daunting. The good thing is that it can be avoided so keep to the guidelines and u ll be fine. 😊
  • debzabercrombie
    Options
    Update 😁 I had my 3 monthly bloods and I am now in normal range but I now have high cholesterol and have to go back in two weeks for a fasting blood test . Whatever next lol old age certainly doesn’t come alone
  • JudyCoventry3883
    JudyCoventry3883 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as prediabetic a few years ago. My doc then put me on Metformin. A few months later I was in hospital for something else and they asked me about my health history. I told them I was prediabetic and they asked if I was on any meds. I said yes and the reply was "then you are diabetic". So what I was I can't tell you but losing 100 lbs has returned my blood sugars to normal. My doc has taken me off the medication and my blood sugar continues to be normal. I walk 8,000 steps or more 6 days a week and watch my carb intake. That's all it took for me.

How many carbs a day is your goal?
  • cherrylou123
    cherrylou123 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Eat more on healthy foods especially fruits and vegetables also protein rich for muscle building.. Lessen the unhealthy ones, keep yourself active, drink more on water when you are thirsty, exercise and have enough sleep 😊😊😊