Want to lose 30 pounds before turning 30

Options
lpw612
lpw612 Posts: 8 Member
Hi! I am a 29/F/5’1/155 I’m looking to loose 30 pounds or close to 30 by June. I have a huge problem of overeating and feeling hungry after I ate a big meal. I am looking for advice on what to eat or tips to get to my goal!

Replies

• happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    6 lb per month sounds pretty drastic. I am 5’2, 32 years old, currently weighing 154-155. I have lost all my baby weight and then some. My goal is to lose 10 more lb by the end of the year. I want to hit 148 by end of April. You seem to be new here. Welcome! My Fitness Pal isn’t about crash diets to lose a bunch of weight in a short amount of time. Sometimes that happens and the momentum/motivation that gives is great, but more likely it’s going to take a month or two before you really find your rhythm.
    Instead of focusing on the numbers, use MFP as a tool to learn how you currently eat, and learn how to eat and move better for long term, SUSTAINABLE weight loss. It’s about changing your lifestyle. There are lots of great people on the forums who I’m sure will jump in and post some really helpful graphics and links and stuff to help get you started.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    It takes time to learn to portion control and feel satisfied on less, but binging on food and still feeling hungry is a bad habit that you can change. But it does take time and practice, and you WILL fail sometimes but you have to keep moving forward. Don’t keep eating just because you already ate too much and feel like it doesn’t matter. You can’t make a bad day better by making it worse. Which sounds stupid obvious, but I know it’s what happens sometimes! But don’t worry, you can break the cycle. You just have to try.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    lpw612 wrote: »
    Hi! I am a 29/F/5’1/155 I’m looking to loose 30 pounds or close to 30 by June. I have a huge problem of overeating and feeling hungry after I ate a big meal. I am looking for advice on what to eat or tips to get to my goal!

Put your statistics into My Fitness Pal (MFP) and choose a weekly weight loss goal of ONE pound a week. I know that seems slow, but it's realistic. Even at that pace your weekly weight loss will slow down the closer you get to goal (to more like 1/2 pound a week).

The reason weight loss slows is because you become a smaller person, with smaller calorie needs. You can't keep eating less and less, all while doing that in a healthy way.

The way MFP is designed is you get a calorie goal before exercise. You can earn more calories thru exercise. Start by eating a portion of exercise calories back (because calorie burns are hard to estimate, many are inflated). After awhile you will get to know what realistic calorie burns are for you.

What to eat? Foods you enjoy. Learn about your own eating habits instead of substituting a list of diet foods temporarily. If you want to keep the weight off forever, you have to make some permanent changes.

Foods components that are filling - protein, fiber, and fat. The combination that makes me full (longer) is likely a different combination for you. Like HappySquid pointed out, this all takes practice. You won't be perfect, but that's okay. You don't have to be perfect, just continue to make progress.

Here's a link to some really helpful threads: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest