50 @ 50 how much running do you do a week (any age)?

Options
So, I'm a 50 year man and I run around 30 to 40 miles a week. These include slow/quick/tempo/interval runs. I'm not training for any races, just for fun and as an ex-serviceman and sportsman who didn't particularly take care of his body when I was young, my joints will only take so much in one go. My max is around 10k in one go but I usually run 2 x 5k in the same day x 7. This week though with a little effort I should have a PB of 50 miles in the week at age 50 (I'm also aware of the 10% rule).
My question, and so will give us a chance to say well done to each other is how many miles running do you get through per week?

Replies

• allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    This is impressive!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I'm in my late 50s and I've decided to cross train rather than just run. This means I ride twice, swim twice, and run three times in a (perfect) week. I keep the running at 15-20 miles. I've been really liking it, although the longer miles is tempting.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I average 40 miles a week at the moment but will gradually increasing as racing season is upon us. :D I do have lower mileage weeks at least once a month where I keep it at 25 or less.

FWIW - I just turned 51. I know others older than me that run many more miles.
  • ianwhite5555
    ianwhite5555 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey, thanks for your replies, it's really motivating to hear about similar people and their achievements.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 48 and running is just part of my training schedule, I workout for an average of 3hrs 6 days a week, which includes running.
    I used to run every day, but that became too much for me, now my running schedule looks like

Monday : fast 5k
    Tuesday : no running unless in PT or if I really want to
    Wednesday : 6am sprints (1.5-2miles), long run (6-13miles)
    Thursday : no running unless in PT or as a warm up
    Friday : hill training (3 miles)
    Saturday : running in bootcamp (1.5-3miles)
    Sunday : 3-5miles slow pace (4-5min/mile slower than my easy pace) as active recovery

So far this week I've run 16.5 miles....10 of those yesterday
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I'm 63. I do one marathon a year, in the spring, and try to keep my mileage up the rest of the year. My average the past couple of years was about 35-40 mpw - or 2000 miles for the year. While marathon training it goes up, but then I drop back to about 30 mpw when we travel in the summer.
  • ianwhite5555
    Options
    I'm 63. I do one marathon a year, in the spring, and try to keep my mileage up the rest of the year. My average the past couple of years was about 35-40 mpw - or 2000 miles for the year. While marathon training it goes up, but then I drop back to about 30 mpw when we travel in the summer.

I bow down in awe of anyone taking on a Marathon as I'll never come anywhere. Trying not to sound patronising but very well done! I know milestones are a little silly why 50 and not 49 or 51. Though I will be pleased as punch if I can manage 50 mpw and then repeat it. But then again pride precedes a fall....
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I'm 69 and HATE running. Always have and always will. I exercise and remain fit in other ways.

I admire and am happy to cheer on anyone who enjoys running, especially marathons (regardless of age) from the sidelines.

It's just not for me.
  • ianwhite5555
    Options
    Marathon runners deserve so much praise. I have to agree with you, after being forced to run, first in the armed services then in a pro ski team off season I find running repetitive and dull. I enjoy the achievements and goal setting rather than the activity. That and the loss of lbs!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Marathon runners deserve so much praise. I have to agree with you, after being forced to run, first in the armed services then in a pro ski team off season I find running repetitive and dull. I enjoy the achievements and goal setting rather than the activity. That and the loss of lbs!

Yes, I haven't run since I got out of the military and no one could force me to run anymore :lol:

This time of year, I love to hike and work on trails in the woods. Later in the year, I'll be gardening. A few months after that, I'll be swimming. When the weather keeps me inside I strength train and practice yoga.

I'm 53 and try to get in at least an hour of something, preferably two, every day.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    OP, 50 MPW is a very solid number. I know that when I hit 40MPW during marathon training in 2017, I really started to feel it. I've never run 50 miles in a week. Congrats on that achievement!

I'm 62 years old and do some running as part of my multisport training. I run either 2 or 3 times per week, depending on the other training volume my coach gives me that particular week, especially bike volume.

My weekly run mileage isn't terribly high, but one of my runs is always a long run to get time on my feet. We run based on time rather than distance. Our long runs end up being between 10-18 miles, depending on where we are in the training build. Also, we track overall training stress to minimize the risk of injury.

• RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Marathon runner here too....wooohhoooi.

I run 4-5 days a week.
    Saturday long run: 11-22 miles depending on training needs
    Sunday: HIIT and lifting
    Monday: easy/moderate temp 5-7 miles
    Tuesday : speed on a track 5-8 miles
    Wednesday: lifting
    Thursday: moderate tempo/ dedicated hill work 6-10
    Friday: active recovery (yoga, deload lifting, band work)

So 27ish to 50ish depending on what I’m training for. Sometimes I’ll add a fast 5k if I need to practice tired leg running on Friday.

I take a fullllllll stop rest day every 10-12 days or so. Sleep a lot. Eat well. Also, does chasing my kids count???
  • ianwhite5555
    Options
    Marathon runner here too....wooohhoooi.

I run 4-5 days a week.
    Saturday long run: 11-22 miles depending on training needs
    Sunday: HIIT and lifting
    Monday: easy/moderate temp 5-7 miles
    Tuesday : speed on a track 5-8 miles
    Wednesday: lifting
    Thursday: moderate tempo/ dedicated hill work 6-10
    Friday: active recovery (yoga, deload lifting, band work)

So 27ish to 50ish depending on what I’m training for. Sometimes I’ll add a fast 5k if I need to practice tired leg running on Friday.

I take a fullllllll stop rest day every 10-12 days or so. Sleep a lot. Eat well. Also, does chasing my kids count???

Well done Runner Girl, I can't really get across as much kudos and awe marathon runners deserve. I haven't quite got into planned rest days. I usually just broke down for a day every 10 days. But even things are a little painful I may do 50 two weeks in a fow
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I run anywhere from 0 to 65 miles a week. I’m doing a marathon next weekend so my mileage has been 45-50 per week for the last few months. Some weeks a little higher, some lower. Very low this week and next.

I don’t run more than 5 days a week. I take full rest days. I do a long run that ranges from 8 to 24 miles (depending on what I’m training for). I also strength train and do other workouts/cross training.

I don’t recover well at more than 45-50 mpw and my runs suffer as does my overall training.

I will be 46 in a couple of weeks.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    64 here and it varies. During the off season I'll run less and x-train more (anywhere from 20 to 30km) and during race season my maximum is probably around 60km a week. I also swim and bike as triathlon is my sport of choice.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    At age 45ish I ran in the lines of 55-60 miles a week with no rest days for over a year while playing catcher for baseball and resistance training 3×week. I also did cycling and some other things but a smaller scale.
  • ianwhite5555
    Options
    Well done everyone, all your stories give a real boost. Best of luck to Duck and their marathon. And if charging around after your children counts then racing around after my siberian does too :)
  • GL458
    GL458 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a 61 (almost 62) year old women and typically run about 40 miles per week. I started running in my mid-30s.
  • ianwhite5555
    Options
    I did it, completed 52.7 miles in 7 days. Had my first day off for weeks yesterday. Now I have to get motivated later today to just get one foot down after another after hitting such a milestone hmm. I guess that's the problem with enjoying hitting a target rather than enjoying running (which I loath).
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I have ran a marathon, but definitely will not give myself the title marathon runner. I prefer the Half.

I am 46 (started running 5 years ago) and run 3 to 4 days a week. Typically two short runs and one long run a week. I also cross train - cycle, started swimming and lift weights. I enjoy the variety!!