50 @ 50 how much running do you do a week (any age)?

Options
2»

Replies

• Bari_Tone
    Bari_Tone Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I only run 3 or 4 miles every Saturday. A baby amount compared to the above.

On an unrelated note -
    Swim day is Sunday 1.0-1.5 miles.
    Weekdays (in the winter off-season) are for cycling/Spin Class.
  • uglydogfarmer
    uglydogfarmer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am 44. Last year at this time I weighed almost 350 lbs and couldn't run for 2 minutes consecutively. I am down to around 240 lbs.

My crazy plan to keep myself motivated is to tell everyone I know that I am planning to complete a sprint and Olympic length triathlon in 2020. I don't want to let them down.

I currently run about 15-20 miles, cycle 30-40 miles, and swim 2000-2500 meters per week.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I am 44. Last year at this time I weighed almost 350 lbs and couldn't run for 2 minutes consecutively. I am down to around 240 lbs.

My crazy plan to keep myself motivated is to tell everyone I know that I am planning to complete a sprint and Olympic length triathlon in 2020. I don't want to let them down.

I currently run about 15-20 miles, cycle 30-40 miles, and swim 2000-2500 meters per week.

Congrats on a terrific weight loss! Well done.

And based on your current S/B/R volume, your plan isn't crazy at all. Just pick a race and then follow a training plan to get ready. Looking forward to reading your race report!
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm 44, started running after an 80lb weight loss (using MFP of course!) 6 years ago. I fell off the good-eating wagon, and put half of it back on, but I did keep running. I run around 40 miles a month at the moment, but am hoping to up that to about 60 miles a month by the time I've lost the weight and maybe, just maybe, train for a half-marathon.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I’m 51 and run around 22-25 miles/week, in addition to lifting 3 days/week. I used to run 50-70 miles/week without any crosstraining, which was pretty shortsighted on my part because my body paid the price. 😕
  • uglydogfarmer
    uglydogfarmer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @Djproulx Thanks for the encouragement.

I have been implementing my "crazy plan" for awhile now and it does not seem as crazy as it did when I first started talking about. I am planning to complete an indoor tri in March. Then take it outside in June.

To the OP, I commend you on 50 miles a week. That is a tough goal no matter your age.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 52.7 miles @ianwhite5555

I am not sure what the 10% rule is? I turn 50 this year and I am aiming for my first marathon before I reach that milestone. My current training plan is 40 miles per week with 20 more miles brisk walking (4.5mph) and some cycling on rest days. I much prefer cycling but needs must and I signed up to support a charity so here we go.