Pescatarians in the house?

Options
So I've been reading a lot about been vegetarian and I came across reading about pescatarian. I want to kick red meat to the curve but I do love fish. I have a few questions though. Do I need to take any supplement vitamins if I become pescatarian? Also what about mercury could I still eat certain fish every day or every other day?

Replies

• katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    b 12!!!!!!!!!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    katermari wrote: »
    b 12!!!!!!!!!

People who are routinely eating animal products probably do not need a B12 supplement unless their doctor says otherwise.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescatarian (for 20 years), but I only eat fish about twice a week. Therefore, I don't worry about mercury.

Here is a good article (from UK health service) about recommendations:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/fish-and-shellfish-nutrition/

My doctor is so convinced that I need B-12 that I take one every other day, especially now that I am on a proton pump inhibitor for GERD (acid reflux) which makes it tougher to absorb B-12.

I take other supplements to address specific health issues, but they are not because of my diet.
  • katermari
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    b 12!!!!!!!!!

People who are routinely eating animal products probably do not need a B12 supplement unless their doctor says otherwise.

as a person who went from eating animal products daily, to none, b12 was needed. badly.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    b 12!!!!!!!!!

as a person who went from eating animal products daily, to none, b12 was needed. badly.

Sure, but fish is an animal product.

I haven't checked all fish, but when I logged wild salmon on Cronometer it easily met the B12 requirement, and so did tuna (I didn't check the canned type since I hate it, however).

That said, apparently B12 is now recommended for everyone over 50. I'm 100% plant-based usually about 3-4 days a week and currently eating fish about once or twice a week most weeks, so do supplement, at least from time to time. I figure it can't hurt.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Re eating fish once a day or every other day, the amount of pollution/mercury content varies. With higher content ones, I wouldn't eat them daily or every other day, personally, but it is going to matter more for children and women of childbearing years (who might get pregnant).

Here's one list that could be helpful: https://www.nrdc.org/sites/default/files/walletcard.pdf
  • katermari
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    b 12!!!!!!!!!

Sure, but fish is an animal product.

I haven't checked all fish, but when I logged wild salmon on Cronometer it easily met the B12 requirement, and so did tuna (I didn't check the canned type since I hate it, however).

That said, apparently B12 is now recommended for everyone over 50. I'm 100% plant-based usually about 4 days a week and currently eating fish about once or twice a week most weeks, so do supplement, at least from time to time. I figure it can't hurt.

i dont suppliment daily, but i can for sure tell when my b12 is low. its a terrible feeling!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    b 12!!!!!!!!!

You will not immediately become B12 deficient if you stop eating animal products unless you were already deficient or have some medical condition that interferes with your body’s ability to use or store B12.

If you believe you fall into one of those categories, you need to see your doctor.

OP did not stop eating animal products and therefore this discussion is unlikely to apply to them.
  • katermari
    Options
    b 12!!!!!!!!!

You will not immediately become B12 deficient if you stop eating animal products unless you were already deficient or have some medical condition that interferes with your body’s ability to use or store B12.

If you believe you fall into one of those categories, you need to see your doctor.

OP did not stop eating animal products and therefore this discussion is unlikely to apply to them.

i eat fish daily, actually tuna daily. i have been tested many many times. all levels are normal.
    that being said, what happens to me, does not mean that it will happen to others.
    maybe my body is just messed up.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    You don’t need B12 if you eat fish regularly.
  • katermari
    Options
    once again, what happens to me may not happen to others
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I think the point is just that eating fish daily (for example) gives you plenty of dietary B12, so if there is a need for supplementation despite that, it is not because cutting out non-fish meat requires B12 supplementation due to a lack of B12 sources in the diet, but because one might have a specific issue with B12 absorption. So if OP is eating fish very regularly it's not an issue just because of no beef, pork, and chicken. (Some people might be pescatarians and eat fish once every week or two, and also no dairy or foods fortified with B12, and they might want to supplement, of course.)
  • Hotcups
    Hotcups Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I decided to become pescatarian in January 2020. So far I have not missed eating meat. I get plenty of B12 from eggs, milk and the fish I eat a couple of times a week.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Been pescatarian for almost 20 years. No issues with vitamin deficiency, I eat fish maybe once a week, eggs a few times a week, cheese/milk a few times a week.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    b 12!!!!!!!!!

Our liver can store B12, but when we eliminate animal products from our diet there is no good way to tell how much we have stored. This is why everyone not eating animal products should immediately begin supplementing or regularly choosing fortified foods.

But OP isn't in the situation of not eating food from animals. They're planning to eat fish and likely will also be consuming eggs and diary. It's not relevant to their situation.