stopped smoking and stared eating

Options
Hi, I have just joined this program and think it great, its been very helpful having to list my food each day, makes me very aware of just how much I am eating and how much I am not exercising. Two months ago I weighed 57kgs (125lbs) I stopped smoking and now weigh 65kgs (143lbs) I am 5ft 8" tall (174cm), cant believe how quick its gone on! Non of my clothes fit me and I refuse to buy bigger sizes, so I now will have to keep the smokes and food under control !

Replies

• LindsayChick
    LindsayChick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Congrats for stopping the cigarettes!! That is the #1 thing you can do for your health! I say just keep it up with MFP, increased exercise and healthy foods within your calorie allotment and it'll come off! I know it's extremely common to gain weight after cigarettes - combo of taste buds coming back and not having the stimulant anymore. You're doing the right thing... just keep it up and the weight will come back off the healthy way! Congrats again!
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I quit over 4 years ago and in the winter. Bad choice! I have now lost the weight I gained from quitting plus! It is do-able. I am thinner now than I have been in years plus I can run, jog or do anything without wheezing and coughing. Good luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • ACook42
    ACook42 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you are saying.....I smoke as well and I have found that diet PLUS quitting is WAY TOO HARD. So, I suggest you either hold off on the quitting while trying to cut back. Pack your fridge with as much celery and carrots as you can stand.

When you feel you need one, do some crunches instead......sort of trade one addiction for another. Working out is a lot healthier.
    Good Luck
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've quit smoking 6 months to the day ago! Was March 1st. In that time I've also lost 74lbs, you can do it.

Good luck.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Firstly well done on giving up the Smoking ! As an ex smoker i know its not easy, but you have done the hard part !

I think as you have so little to lose you should maybe eat more!

Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • 13hirteen
    13hirteen Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I stopped smoking around the time I started running (but before I joined MFP) - the two aren't very compatible, as you need clear lungs to run, so if you're not already a runner, this is a great time to start.

Admittedly, I wasn't watching what I ate at the time, and did put on some weight, but MFP's been a big help in getting it back off (largely because I was one of the non-aware eaters; I had very little idea of exactly how much I was putting in my mouth).
  • minimommy1
    minimommy1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you are taking steps before it really gets out of control - good for you.
  • JenGilronan
    JenGilronan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting! That's great!
    Keep working hard. Eat right, Exercise tough. You can do it!
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking. You did it in the right order. Smoking first then weight loss, and the weight gain you experienced has everything to do with your changed metabolism and hormones.

I smoked for 15 years. As you begin to excercise, your lung capacity will grow. When you are breathing better, you will notice an energy level that is even better than nicotine. Stay on track! You can do it.
  • lindacetinich
    Options
    yes, exactly what I thought, get on top of it before it gets on top of me.
  • lindacetinich
    Options
    I stopped smoking around the time I started running (but before I joined MFP) - the two aren't very compatible, as you need clear lungs to run, so if you're not already a runner, this is a great time to start.

Admittedly, I wasn't watching what I ate at the time, and did put on some weight, but MFP's been a big help in getting it back off (largely because I was one of the non-aware eaters; I had very little idea of exactly how much I was putting in my mouth).
    I found that i am a very unaware eater, I dont eat junk/fast food and enjoy my veggies and fruit, but the first day I filled out my chart I was nearly 2,500c in the red....what a shock that was
  • dihar2
    dihar2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Chromium picolinate helps with cravings coming off the cigs. A nurse told me to get it when I was quitting and it made a big difference. Good on ya for giving up them smokes.
  • lindacetinich
    Options
    thanks, i am on champix tablets could not have quit if it wasnt for them

Chromium picolinate helps with cravings coming off the cigs. A nurse told me to get it when I was quitting and it made a big difference. Good on ya for giving up them smokes.