Losing weight too quickly

Options
Hi,
I want to lose weight slow and steady in a healthy way and I am counting my calories. Not to the tee because I don't want it to become stressful and demotivate me, but I am trying my best to record all my food as best I know and keeping tracj of my portion sizes.

I am intaking 1200 (usually more actually) calories and also doing 8-16 intermittent fasting. I have also turned 85-90% plant based whole foods. I am also breastfeeding a 1 year old who only feeds out of habit.

Trouble is, I aimed to only lose 1 kg/week. But its been 2 weeks and I've lost 3 kg. Im glad but i don't want to lose weight the unhealthy way and have it comeback. Is this weightloss ok or should i worry?

Replies

• 1MinuteWithTina
    1MinuteWithTina Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    At the start, more weight comes off as it's mostly water weight. It'll soon slow down to a trickle then you'd want it to speed up again, lol. Well done.
  • dsgoingtodoit
    dsgoingtodoit Posts: 803 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    You can use a total daily energy expenditure calculator (one is on this site) http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
    to make sure you are consuming enough calories. You can then do all the research you want on how best to set your goals. There are tons of ways to go about this based on your lifestyle, body type, etc... Some nutritionists suggest keeping your intake at your TDEE for about 2 weeks...then cut calorie intake by 20%. There are many experts on MFP - just thought I would pass that along to you for your reference. Best wishes
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Without knowing a little more about you, it is difficult to say.

How did you decide on that 1200 number, and when you say ‘usually more’ what number are you talking about there?

How much weight are you aiming to lose, unless it’s a fair amount your 1kg goal is probably a little aggressive.

How tall are you? How active in daily life?

It’s true that, for most people, at the very start the weight does drop a little faster but that’s usually just water rather than actual fat. Two weeks really isn’t long enough to judge, especially in a woman whose weight naturally fluctuates through the month under the influence of hormones.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The first couple of weeks sometimes produce a higher loss due to water weight loss, but if it continues you will need to eat more. 1200 calories is the minimum for an inactive woman to eat (and too low for most active women), so you may want to aim for more. 1kg a week is too fast for most people unless you are at higher stages of obesity, so you may want to aim for slower. If you are active or if you exercise, you also get to eat at least a portion of these extra calories.

Now it is possible you're eating more than you think because you're not going for precision logging, but it's also possible you may be eating less than you think. Watch what your weight does in the next couple of weeks and increase your calorie goal if you continue losing fast.
  • lilann1961
    lilann1961 Posts: 131 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I agree with most here, that the beginning is mostly water weight and the heavier you are to begin with, the more weight you lose initially. I encourage you to talk to your doctor about 1200 calories while breastfeeding. Too little can affect your supply (former breastfeeding mom here) and it burns calories as well (think of it as exercise calories you would normally eat back).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    While some of that initial weight loss is probably water weight, neither the 1200 Cal nor the one kg per week target sound right for a breastfeeding mom.

Most of the general recommendations I have seen suggest eating at "maintenance" while allowing breastfeeding to create the weight loss deficit. Implicitly targeting half the weight loss target per week that you have.