this protein bar or that protein bar?

Options
i am looking for a good protein bar. i want one that tastes good (i love peanut butter) has a significant amount of fiber and protein with less carbs and sugar. any suggestions? all the ones i have seen either have like 26 grams of carbs or 15 grams of sugar. does not seem like a healthy option.

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I just read this article the other day on the best and worst nutrition bars for women:

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/best-and-worst-nutrition-bars-women?slide=33982
  • qkiley
    Options
    Pure Protein bars are a staple in my routine. Low cals, high protein and low sugar. Cheap enough to justify, and are available at Target.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Protein bars aren't good for you. They are science expermients. Same goes for the protein drink mixes. Most of them are really high in sugars. You're best bet is live, healthy protein packed foods.. .like raw organic almonds and walnuts, or organic greek yogurt. I make my own trail mix, and it's super yummy.

God bless!
  • lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Detour Lean Muscle bars are one of the best I've seen. A lot of protein bars have gelatin in them (like muscle milk bars or pure protein).

Remember, like any protein bar, these are meal replacements. The lean muscle bars have 32 grams of lean protein and most of the carbs in them are good for you.
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein bars are a staple in my routine. Low cals, high protein and low sugar. Cheap enough to justify, and are available at Target.

Just my 2 cents.

Ditto.
  • qkiley
    Options
    I definitely agree with Michelle_M2002, if you can get your protein naturally, that is definitely a priority. But for me, in order to get the protein I want, I have been adding a bar or protein powder as a last resort.

Again, not a professional nutritionist, just my thoughts on what I have done so far.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I just read this article the other day on the best and worst nutrition bars for women:

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/best-and-worst-nutrition-bars-women?slide=33982

That was a helpful article, thanks for posting it!
  • sonic_the_cat
    sonic_the_cat Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I like the Supreme Protein Carb Conscious Bars. My favorite flavor is Peanut Butter Crunch. They have: 200 cal/15 g Protein/5 net carbs. I don't eat them too often because of the high calories; however, they are pretty filling for a meal on the go.
  • midmomike2
    Options
    I got some bars called "2:1 protein bars " made by Metra Geni at GNC the other day. Not bad taste wise, comes in different flavors (I got cookies and cream). 230 calories, 30 grams protein, 15g carbs, 1g sugar, 5g fiber
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI for anyone interested in Kind bars, Amazon has a deal until Sept. 15 where you get like 15% off an already discounted price. I paid about $11 for a box of 12 just now. I also ordered Lara Bars (no deals there).
  • emergence
    Options
    Here in Nz we have a great range of Horleys Bars, In the US i've heard that the Oh Yeah! Bars are really great.

Like any supplements they are great for a treat/convenience and better than going off the rails for us overeaters though of course they can't replace fresh healthy foods.

There are also quite a few recipes out there to make your own bars with peanut butter, oats and protein powders.

What is wrong with Protein Drinks? Whey supplements have been in use since the 50s and whey itself has been know to have useful and healthful properties since Hippocrates. Very few Whey protein powders are full of sugar but you do have to choose carefully if you wish to avoid artificial sweeteners.

My 2c.
  • zapatasbloodjv
    Options
    u can just make ur own.

whey protein, some oats, some pb, and ne extras u might like....just look it up on youtube.

nothing wrong with protein bars except the price...very expensive meal re-placers.
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    Protein bars aren't good for you. They are science expermients. Same goes for the protein drink mixes. Most of them are really high in sugars. You're best bet is live, healthy protein packed foods.. .like raw organic almonds and walnuts, or organic greek yogurt. I make my own trail mix, and it's super yummy.

God bless!

Protein bars are fine in a pinch. Of course whole foods are always a better option to but say blanket statements like "protein bars aren't good for you" is ridiculous. What's inherently bad about every protein bar out there? Have you seen all the labels?

Zing Chocolate Coconut bars. Yeah, it's only 10g of protein but that's enough to do the job and it tastes amazing. It's not unhealthy either.
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    u can just make ur own.

whey protein, some oats, some pb, and ne extras u might like....just look it up on youtube.

nothing wrong with protein bars except the price...very expensive meal re-placers.

^^^This pretty much sums it up too.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I dont usually eat protein bars unless I have to but I do keep a stock of them for such times. Ive tried Pure Protein bars because they have more easily digestable protein, supposedly, but after a while, they bothered my stomache. Ive tried Special K protein bars (10g protein, 15g sugars) and they even have a chocolate peanut butter bar. Both have a lot of sugar. I have also tried Think Thin and they are very tasty and 0 sugar, 24g carbs and 20g protein. Think Thin also have 10g protein bars: Crunch bars (16g carbs, 3g sugar and 10g protein). A "less is more" bar is Boomi bars which have limited ingredients; their Cashew Almond has 23 g carbs, 3g sugar and 8g protein. Boomi bar also has an Almond Protein Plus bar with 20g carbs, 15g sugar (a lot) and 12 g protein but it's only almonds, honey and whey protein isolate and that's it! So it depends on what is important to you.