Feeling old and I don’t like it

Options
SFnBald
SFnBald Posts: 134 Member
edited February 2020 in Introduce Yourself
I‘ve tried a lot of different things over the years but have struggled with consistency to maintain good health. So here I am on the verge of 50 years old and not feeling great and wanting to change. Wish me luck! Feel free to send me motivation. I’ll take all the help I can get l!

Replies

• slade51
    slade51 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Good luck, you came to the right place.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,408 Member
    Options
    Good luck
  • rockbam123
    rockbam123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Willing to help anyway I can.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I met a 92 yo woman a few years back who was inspirational! Unlike all of her peers, she didn't use a walker, in fact she is a Senior Olympian! She gets up early every morning and exercises.

A lot of my friends' mothers are deceased. My 82 yo mother is in great shape. She is also incredibly active, in fact, so much so that she struggles to stay above Underweight.

If my mom ends up in a nursing home, it will be from falling off a ladder while cleaning gutters (something I have begged her to stop doing) >.<
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I did my first marathon at 50. Finished my fourth at 52. All but the first marathon with sub 4 hour times. Barely sub 4, but still... lol

I started running when I was about 240lbs, 45-50lbs overweight. At my leanest I was 172lbs.

I've since switched my focus over to strength training, but the point is to pick something and stick with it. Maybe at first it's just walking for an extra 30 minutes a day. Do that for a week and then if you feel good add 5 more minutes, or jog for 5 minutes of the 30. Go slowly and establish a habit. We all know bad habits are hard to break, but so are good ones. Maybe not as hard to break as bad ones, but once you get in the habit of exercising it definitely is hard to break. Also, get control of your food and eat nutrient dense foods that fuels your body for your workouts. And think of it that way, fuel for you workouts, not comfort for bad days.

Again, to me, it's all about habits. Breaking bad ones and establishing good ones.

Good luck! If I, the formerly lazy, sedentary, nerdy engineer with a 9 hour a day desk job can do it anyone can. :D
  • RachelEmma77
    RachelEmma77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good luck...I'm sure you can do it!