Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• chapagonzo
    Options
    So I am a diet coke drinker as well.....for quite some time. I have heard this before many many times. I decided that as long as drinking it does not cause you to grow additional arms, feet, legs or any other extremities....I will take my chances. Now if I can just figure out how to stop breathing in all those fumes, getting radiation charges from the use of my cell phone or worrying about the next crime that could be committed against me....I will have the world beat.
  • kristinaohno
    kristinaohno Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am so against aspartame. I have MS. And I could have it from the amount of diet soda I used to drink. It isn't a proven fact but, I know aspartame is bad for the nervous system & brain. I know there's a lot of people with MS who drink diet soda and eat all the "light" things that are made with aspartame, but I refuse. I'd rather drink regular soda if I'm going to drink soda. I'll take the calories. Plus, diet soda can still make you fat. You're better off with water or seltzer.
  • AmyJo54915
    Options
    you can die just from crossing the street.
    or worse...you can get pregnant

Not if you deutsche with diet coke afterwards.

LOL!!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Well I never.

I just learned 5 mins ago from this medical forum that Diet Coke causes cancer.

Discuss??
    Thank goodness I only drink Dr Pepper Zero :bigsmile:
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

Baahahahaahahhaha!!!! You are all awesome! :laugh:
    But lets be real here. Diet coke > Diet Pepsi. Actually, Diet Dr. Pepper (regular & w/ cherry) > both diet coke/pepsi.
    Diet Dr Pepper is the only aspartame I will (knowingly) allow myself to drink anymore. hahaha
  • Jpickeri
    Options
    DON'T DRINK ANY DIET SODA!!!!

What you are most likely referring to is Aspartame. ASPARTAME=FAT STORING FAKE SUGAR CRAP. On a biochemistry level, the compound aspartame is arranged in such a way that your body doesn't think there are any calories in it, which means it NEVER breaks down. This means that it is stored away in your body and it's nothing but junk.

Stay away from it. It has 92 different side effects and there are actually aspartame support groups.

IT WAS DENIED 8 TIMES BY THE FDA. One would think "oh, well it had to be approved for some good reason." NOPE, people got paid off (yes, it does happen). The guy who "invented" it, is now sitting back and making millions (aspartame is even in gum and most things that say "sugar free").

It turns into FORMALDEHYDE once it reaches above a temperature of 86 degrees Fahrenheit. AKA....CANCER CAUSING!
    If you really care about your health (not necessarily just losing weight), PLEASE DON'T DRINK DIET ANYTHINGS!
    let me repeat:

IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR HEALTH:
    ******DON'T DRINK DIET COKE, PEPSI, ETC.*********
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    People, lets be reasonable.

If we didnt eat/drink things that WHEN TAKEN TO EXCESS can harm us, we wouldnt eat or drink anything. Im certainly not going to be told what i can and cant eat/drink. Diet coke has been around fornearly 30 years, and I've yet to hear of anyone dying of cancer directly related to their diet coke intake.

"A 2007 medical review on the subject concluded that "the weight of existing scientific evidence indicates that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a non-nutritive sweetener". That's good enough for me right there :)

This is yet more scaremongering.
  • LadyKatarina
    LadyKatarina Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well I never.

I just learned 5 mins ago from this medical forum that Diet Coke causes cancer.

Discuss??
    Thank goodness I only drink Dr Pepper Zero :bigsmile:

This is offensive to Dr.s.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    DON'T DRINK ANY DIET SODA!!!!

What you are most likely referring to is Aspartame. ASPARTAME=FAT STORING FAKE SUGAR CRAP. On a biochemistry level, the compound aspartame is arranged in such a way that your body doesn't think there are any calories in it, which means it NEVER breaks down. This means that it is stored away in your body and it's nothing but junk.

Stay away from it. It has 92 different side effects and there are actually aspartame support groups.

IT WAS DENIED 8 TIMES BY THE FDA. One would think "oh, well it had to be approved for some good reason." NOPE, people got paid off (yes, it does happen). The guy who "invented" it, is now sitting back and making millions (aspartame is even in gum and most things that say "sugar free").

It turns into FORMALDEHYDE once it reaches above a temperature of 86 degrees Fahrenheit. AKA....CANCER CAUSING!
    If you really care about your health (not necessarily just losing weight), PLEASE DON'T DRINK DIET ANYTHINGS!
    let me repeat:

IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR HEALTH:
    ******DON'T DRINK DIET COKE, PEPSI, ETC.*********

"Aspartame= Fat Storing Suger Crap" :
    Aspartame has NEVER been shown to increase the rate of fat storage in any person or animal.

"The guy who invented it is sitting back making millions"
    So we shouldn't use post-it notes or paper clips? Just because they're inventor got rich?

"Turns into formaldehyde, therefor causes cancer."
    Do some f*ing research before repeating internet spam rumors. Aspartame is the most researched substance in the history of the fda and rumors that it causes cancer has NEVER been proven.

"92 side effects"
    Funny...... I've never experience ONE side effect. Ever.
  • zapatasbloodjv
    Options
    u guys are so wrong....

aspartame has been proven to kidnap children, impregnate nuns, and cause cancer in all who consume it.

if u have already drank a diet soda or other lite product its too late --- ur children r gone and the cancers will soon eat u.

the thousands of immaculate conception nuns will pray for u.

oh and diet dr. pepper likes to strangle ppl as they sleep...be careful.
  • Liquid741
    Options
    There's a Snopes page that talks about this being untrue:
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

yep....bogus emails like them going around all the time...best to research then believe everything you read...
  • suzieduh
    suzieduh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    u guys are so wrong....

aspartame has been proven to kidnap children, impregnate nuns, and cause cancer in all who consume it.

if u have already drank a diet soda or other lite product its too late --- ur children r gone and the cancers will soon eat u.

the thousands of immaculate conception nuns will pray for u.

oh and diet dr. pepper likes to strangle ppl as they sleep...be careful.

I am amazed there are people who don't drink Diet Coke because they might get formalehyde poisioning
  • lacey_1208
    Options
    brilliant reply! :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

you can get pregnant from crossing the street??!?!? WTF!!!!!
  • dleithaus
    dleithaus Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    "Natural" Stevia anyone?

The steviol glycosides are responsible for the sweet taste of the leaves of the stevia plant (Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni). These compounds range in sweetness from 40 to 300 times sweeter than sucrose.[1] They are heat-stable, pH-stable, and do not ferment.[2] They also do not induce a glycemic response when ingested, making them attractive as natural sweeteners to diabetics and others on carbohydrate-controlled diets.

Structure
    Stevioside is formed by attaching glucose molecules to the steviol structure.

The diterpene known as Steviol is the aglycone of stevia's sweet glycosides, which are constructed by replacing steviol's carboxyl hydrogen atom (at the bottom of the figure) with glucose to form an ester, and replacing the hydroxyl hydrogen (at the top of the figure in the infobox) with combinations of glucose and rhamnose. The two primary compounds, stevioside and rebaudioside A, use only glucose: Stevioside has two linked glucose molecules at the hydroxyl site, whereas rebaudioside A has three, with the middle glucose of the triplet connected to the central steviol structure.

In terms of weight fraction, the four major steviol glycosides found in the stevia plant tissue are:

5–10% stevioside (250–300X of sugar)
    2–4% rebaudioside A — most sweet (350–450X of sugar) and least bitter
    1–2% rebaudioside C
    ½–1% dulcoside A.

Rebaudioside B, D, and E may also be present in minute quantities; however, it is suspected that rebaudioside B is a byproduct of the isolation technique.[2] The two majority compounds stevioside and rebaudioside, primarily responsible for the sweet taste of stevia leaves, were first isolated by two French chemists in 1931.[3]
  • fatcitizen
    fatcitizen Posts: 103 Member
    Options

BAHAHAHAHA:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• jbudge1
    jbudge1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Everything causes cancer if you inject the rats with 3 times their body weight of a substance. This debate is as old as diet coke itself. If you enjoy it drink. I have only been on this forum for a couple of weeks but I initially started out at 279 and lost over 80 pounds. I drank a ton.......and I mean a ton of diet coke during this process. So nobody could ever convince me it stalls weight loss.
  • fritomaster
    fritomaster Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Rats have a special crap in them that we don't have and when they have to much of that if gives them colon cancer, But not to us....
  • fritomaster
    fritomaster Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Though if ur gonna drink the nasty version of coke might as well just quit period.
  • suzieduh
    suzieduh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    "Natural" Stevia anyone?

The steviol glycosides are responsible for the sweet taste of the leaves of the stevia plant (Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni). These compounds range in sweetness from 40 to 300 times sweeter than sucrose.[1] They are heat-stable, pH-stable, and do not ferment.[2] They also do not induce a glycemic response when ingested, making them attractive as natural sweeteners to diabetics and others on carbohydrate-controlled diets.

Structure
    Stevioside is formed by attaching glucose molecules to the steviol structure.

The diterpene known as Steviol is the aglycone of stevia's sweet glycosides, which are constructed by replacing steviol's carboxyl hydrogen atom (at the bottom of the figure) with glucose to form an ester, and replacing the hydroxyl hydrogen (at the top of the figure in the infobox) with combinations of glucose and rhamnose. The two primary compounds, stevioside and rebaudioside A, use only glucose: Stevioside has two linked glucose molecules at the hydroxyl site, whereas rebaudioside A has three, with the middle glucose of the triplet connected to the central steviol structure.

In terms of weight fraction, the four major steviol glycosides found in the stevia plant tissue are:

5–10% stevioside (250–300X of sugar)
    2–4% rebaudioside A — most sweet (350–450X of sugar) and least bitter
    1–2% rebaudioside C
    ½–1% dulcoside A.

Rebaudioside B, D, and E may also be present in minute quantities; however, it is suspected that rebaudioside B is a byproduct of the isolation technique.[2] The two majority compounds stevioside and rebaudioside, primarily responsible for the sweet taste of stevia leaves, were first isolated by two French chemists in 1931.[3]

i cant concentrate i heart diet coke too much