Keto / Paleo Friends ?

Options
Hi y'all! I've been a member for a long time and had success before and then it all creeped back up. I've started the Keto diet and I would love some more friends along the way. I'm also looking into Paleo because the ideas behind it seem to make a lot of sense to me. Have a great day y'all!

Replies

• cjanikula
    cjanikula Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That works for me too! I’ve tried vegan and too many carbs for me. Also, I only eat organic unless I’m at someone’s home or our seldom eating out. Can the carbs be changed?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all! I've been a member for a long time and had success before and then it all creeped back up. I've started the Keto diet and I would love some more friends along the way. I'm also looking into Paleo because the ideas behind it seem to make a lot of sense to me. Have a great day y'all!

Just curious, what ideas behind paleo make sense to you?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    cjanikula wrote: »
    That works for me too! I’ve tried vegan and too many carbs for me. Also, I only eat organic unless I’m at someone’s home or our seldom eating out. Can the carbs be changed?

How can vegan be too many carbs since all it is is that your lifestyle includes no meat or anything made by animals like honey? You choose what you eat, so you chose too many carbs. It had nothing to do with the ethical decision to not exploit animals.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    cjanikula wrote: »

How can vegan be too many carbs since all it is is that your lifestyle includes no meat or anything made by animals like honey? You choose what you eat, so you chose too many carbs. It had nothing to do with the ethical decision to not exploit animals.

Yup. Vegan is simply an ethical position, not a diet (although it makes ethical demands that include the diet). It's certainly not intended to be a weight loss plan.

WFPB is one of many diets, but even that can be low carb if one wants (even keto). I think 100% plant-based keto or being a keto vegan would be incredibly difficult, but some people do it.
  • wendyholley73
    wendyholley73 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm following Keto diet, started November last year. Its fairly easy to follow but would love more friends to bounce ideas off each other. X
  • darldaud
    darldaud Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto for about 1 month, staying in ketosis takes a lot of practice, just figuring out what throws me out and what doesn't (For me, it's not all about the amount of carbs). There have been times I know I didn't eat more than 20 grams but still not registering. Love the diet, just have to cook more, but it all is pretty tasty :).
  • jeraldt6
    jeraldt6 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I used to do keto when I wanted to drop 10 or 15 pounds. Always ended up failing and putting it back on. I now am a low carb person. It is easy now that I have gotten into the habbit of logging all food on MFP. My goal is to keep my carbs below 80 no matter what. Days where I keep them below 50 are bonus. Because I work out I try to get my protein above 175 and keep fats below 90. This allows me around 1900 calories which for me is what I burn without the workouts. I have completely cut out all gluten. I allow only one potatoe or helping of rice or sweet potatoe per week. Tons of above ground vegies. Protein powder and kefir (home made). All of this to say that I think the cutting carbs part of this is making me feel great. I won't however go back to keto because I am a high school teacher and can't be that teacher with the keto breath / stink. I am truely losing one pound per week in addition to gaining a ton of muscle in my workouts. For me, staying in ketosis was hard and then when I screw up and bounced out of ketosis, I would really blow it for a couple of days and then never really get back into the diet until the next time I couldn't get my jeans on. Feel free to friend me if any of this makes sense or is interresting.