Hotel food and lack of info

Options
Hello I’m a tour coach driver and spend a lot of time staying in various hotels in uk and Europe sounds great and it is BUT meals are a problem as you can’t ask to see the packaging to scan so most meals are a complete guess to the portion size and calories and you don’t really know what else goes in the food anybody got any ideas how to get over this problem. Mark.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Do your best to estimate or figure how you can cook food inhotel room (microwave etc)
  • markmrw
    markmrw Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do have a gas cooker on coach but can’t really cook a main meal as we really have to eat in hotel dinning room with the people on the coach so will just have to keep roughly guessing but thanks anyway and hope all is going good for you
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    If you’re eating with the coach passengers as a tour driver are you being offered a set menu or do you have a full A la Carte menu to choose from?

If the latter, you may find there are dishes or cooking styles that work better for your needs. Tricky though, if you’re all over Europe as the food offerings will reflect local cuisine which makes it harder to guarantee what may be on the menu!

I would just try to be guided by the things you know are lower calories and choose a dish with those as the main ingredient for your dish.

Fish, seafood, vegetables, grilled meats etc.
    Avoid the creamy sauces, anything with lashings of cheese, anything breaded/battered and deep fried. You could try self regulating portion size too, by putting your cutlery down when there’s still food on your plate- easier said than done, though, if you’re eating in company, especially if they’re all letting loose on holiday!

Good Luck!
  • markmrw
    markmrw Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot and will take onboard your comments
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Here's what I do.

I eat half of what I used to eat. I weigh a third less than I used to weigh. Doesn't seem fair, right? It's not.

I find that if I forego the bread, chips, and gravies/sauces/butter I can do a lot better at restaurants. Vegetables, whole fruit (unsweetened) and meat as much as possible, and way less food in general than I previously ate. I only drink water or coffee/tea. Desserts are a once per week treat, not every day.