Back to trying again...

Options
I really feel I can do this. I have 24 lbs to lose. I am motivated. I have a lot of stress. What are some things that have helped you in your journey to getting healthy?

Replies

• Keliz1173
    Keliz1173 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hello - welcome to MFP!

I recommitted to a healthier lifestyle in February 2019 and I'm still here :-). I too am motivated but have a lot of stressors in my life.

Some things that have worked for me:

Start small with one or two changes and then build on that.

Avoiding all or nothing thinking and being 'perfect' - this has derailled me many times. I try my best each day and know that some days will be easier than others and I will have days that don't go as planned. But in my experience longer term consistency is more effective than trying to get each day 'perfect'.

I found exercise that I really like to do which made it easier to make it a habit - now I am motivated to exercise because it helps my stress level and I feel mentally and physically better when I move my body.

I set reasonable goals and accepted my weight loss will take time. I've lost 40 pounds in the past year and have been able to enjoy regular treats, social occations, special holiday foods etc. So it hasn't felt like a chore which has made it easier to stick with it.

Find ways to acknowledge and celebrate your successes separate from the scale - measurements, photos, fitting into your clothes, number of workouts, increase in fitness, how you feel, etc.

And I work continually on my mindset - approaching things with honesty, compassion and patience.

Everyone is different but maybe some of these ideas will be helpful to you. I wish you success on your journey!

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    For stress: Meditation and videos by psychologists/counselors (free) on youtube.
    For weight loss: Inexpensive electronic food scale and regular exercise, even if all I can stuff into a particular day is a 15 minute walk. Anything is better than nothing.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,219 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    What helps me:

1) No foods are off limits if they fall within my calorie goal.
    I eat fairly healthy to begin with, but I would advise the same approach no matter what foods people eat (for example lots of fast food).
    Sticking to the calorie goal rules, and with time you can find out how to replace certain unhealthier foods with healthier ones, you can experiment to see what kind of food makes you feel more satiated (for example high protein foods)
    The goal is to gradually change your habits, not to follow a 'diet' to reach a certain weight and then gain it all back again when you eat 'like normal' again.

2) a food scale is a must. No eye-balling, no volume measurements, and preferably no trusting the weight of prepackaged food either.

3) No guilt. If you 'mess up': don't feel guilty, just assess what went wrong and why, and learn from it. Tomorrow is a new day. Also, life happens, sometimes things are out of your control, you just handle them as best as you can. No disaster, tomorrow is a new day.

4) No rush. Slow and steady wins the race. Less risk of losing muscle mass and you have time to find out what works for you. The higher your deficit, the higher the risk of giving up because it feels too restrictive (especially coupled with point 1, if you try to 'eat clean' and eliminate all the foods you love).
  • peppapink20
    peppapink20 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi I’m just starting again too. I have a lot to lose so I’m setting small goals and concentrating on 10lbs at a time😊