Things aren’t going well :(

Options
So far I’ve been stuck at the same weight since around November. I haven’t gained nor lost weight at all. Of course there are fluctuations but its still at the same number. Its pissing me off. In fact, I’m under eating most days, exercising, and even if i have a cheat snack, its still within my calories. What the hell?

I look double the size of my friends and i feel disgusting and helpless. I’m so friking mad. Someone help.

Replies

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I will ask the same as the last person - how are you calculating calories in and calories burned? Digital food scale? Can you open your diary? There’s got to me something wrong with your math.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing you're simply just not in a caloric deficit.

1) How accurately/exhaustively are you logging? If you're using measuring cups instead of a food scale or estimating portions you're likely underestimating your intake.

2) Is your goal, activity level, and exercise data accurate? Both sides of the calories in vs. out equation need to be accurate. Most forms of calorie burn estimates for exercise are poor and many find eating exercise calories back result in overeating.

If your logging has been accurate, you've basically found your total maintenance calorie level (aka TDEE). You could choose to use this as the baseline and set your target from that number, thus putting yourself in a deficit.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,957 Member
    Options
    You've logged all your food since November?

I agree, please go to FOOD > Settings, scroll down and click "Public" so we can help you troubleshoot.

How much weight are you trying to lose?
  • carricc1
    carricc1 Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I'm having the exact same issues- I read that you shouldn't go below your calories because your body goes into "starvation mode" and will store fat because you're not getting all the calories and nutrients you need. I was eating way below my recommended 1200 daily calories, so now trying to eat that and also upping my protein amounts- hoping that works, because I've been working so hard on exercise and eating well, and I actually gained 6 lbs in a month... WTF!!!!! :(
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    What have you been eating?

I know many people think you can eat all the pizza you want and lose weight as long as you are in a caloric deficit... But considering salt and other factors...

You just can't I'm sorry to say, you will be fighting the battle every week to get the water weight off...

I'm not saying this is what you are doing, obviously I dk...
    But if your diet is unhealthy, in my experience, this is what happens...
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »

I know many people think you can eat all the pizza you want and lose weight as long as you are in a caloric deficit... But considering salt and other factors...

You just can't I'm sorry to say, you will be fighting the battle every week to get the water weight off...

Complete and utter nonsense. I lost 50lbs by eating occasional pizza, hamburgers, fries, chicken strips, wings, cake, ice cream, and anything else I wanted. You absolutely CAN lose weight eating pizza as long as you remain in a calorie deficit.

Keyword... Occasional
    I did too, but if you eat this stuff every day... Good luck
    Unless we are talking like 1 slice a day and that's it...
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »

Complete and utter nonsense. I lost 50lbs by eating occasional pizza, hamburgers, fries, chicken strips, wings, cake, ice cream, and anything else I wanted. You absolutely CAN lose weight eating pizza as long as you remain in a calorie deficit.

Keyword... Occasional

Except a while ago there was a thread from a dude who ate only pizza for months and lost weight.

Also the dude who lost 30 lbs eating only twinkies, and the various people who have lost weight eating only different kinds of fast food.

People's real life experiences directly contradict your claims.

Do you realize how many threads like this one pop up every day on here... What about their experience...

And as I said, my experience says other wise...
    Which is more valid to me than some Professor with an agenda...

Granted it's not to you, but I'm offering my opinion here...

For all those who claim this isn't working for them and there are many... Your choice of food matters

No I'm not saying you can never eat pizza... But good looking sticking to a calorie deficit eating food engineered to make you eat more...
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    edited February 2020
    Options

Keyword... Occasional

Except a while ago there was a thread from a dude who ate only pizza for months and lost weight.

Also the dude who lost 30 lbs eating only twinkies, and the various people who have lost weight eating only different kinds of fast food.

Do you realize how many threads like this one pop up every day on here... What about their experience...

Granted it's not to you, but I'm offer my opinion here...

For all those who claim this isn't working for them and there are many... Your choice of food matters

No I'm not saying you can never eat pizza... But good looking sticking to a calorie deficit eating food engineered to make you eat more...

I'm sorry again, but how do agendas cause fat to magically disappear?
    Not to mention, it doesn't matter what's more valid to you. You're trying to convince someone else. Even if they accept your form of reasoning, your experience belonging to you makes it just as valid as a professor on a twinkie diet, a body builder filming his McDonald's diet, high school teacher filming a McDonald's diet he had tracked and planned by his class, or a few posters here on MFP, some with pretty meticulous records. At best, you have the leverage that you can try to claim you aren't being paid by big diuretics to talk about water balance, while still trying to lay veiled accusations at the whole host of others on various niche deficit diets. Plus all the published research in metabolic wards which I'm sure you'll want to ask if Kellogg's gave them funding, or big agra via the USDA.

You fail to make any kind of point here... I'm offering my opinion which last I checked I was entitled to regardless who disagrees with me...

Secondly of course my own experience is going to be more valid to myself than anyone else... Again as I said maybe not to you, but that's irrelevant...

Third... What?

Fourth... Are you trying to say that companies like coca cola and nestle do not conduct their own research with a focused agenda?

But we're getting off topic... To the op, if calorie counting is not working for you, try cleaning up your diet... I've lost 180lbs and have kept it off for about 5yrs... Changing your diet worked for me, yeah it may not work for everyone, but if you are like me... It may work for you!
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Keyword... Occasional

Granted it's not to you, but I'm offer my opinion here...

I'm sorry again, but how do agendas cause fat to magically disappear?
    Not to mention, it doesn't matter what's more valid to you. You're trying to convince someone else. Even if they accept your form of reasoning, your experience belonging to you makes it just as valid as a professor on a twinkie diet, a body builder filming his McDonald's diet, high school teacher filming a McDonald's diet he had tracked and planned by his class, or a few posters here on MFP, some with pretty meticulous records. At best, you have the leverage that you can try to claim you aren't being paid by big diuretics to talk about water balance, while still trying to lay veiled accusations at the whole host of others on various niche deficit diets. Plus all the published research in metabolic wards which I'm sure you'll want to ask if Kellogg's gave them funding, or big agra via the USDA.

You fail to make any kind of point here... I'm offering my opinion which last I checked I was entitled to regardless who disagrees with me...

Secondly of course my own experience is going to be more valid to myself than anyone else... Again as I said maybe not to you, but that's irrelevant...

Third... What?

Fourth... Are you trying to say that companies like coca cola and nestle do not conduct their own research with a focused agenda?

But we're getting off topic... To the op, if calorie counting is not working for you, try cleaning up your diet... I've lost 180lbs and have kept it off for about 5yrs... Changing your diet worked for me, yeah it may not work for everyone, but if you are like me... It may work for you!

First, I made a point. I'll state it directly. Your reasoning and support are bad. If you're entitled to your opinion, am I not entitled to mine? I am? Okay, so mine is expressing why someone should not listen to yours. Why even you should not listen to your own reasoning, and reconsider it.
    Two, not just to me, they're not anymore valid to anyone else. If you're just here to convince yourself, congratulations, you're done.
    Third, no, how?
    Fourth, no, I'm not saying that. Should I counter with an equal strawman and ask if you believe there is a giant conspiracy theory of coca cola to buy every single metabolic ward study every done on calorie deficits? Instead, let's look the logic error here. Coca cola just paid me every single dollar in the world to say the Earth, the planet we live on, is an oblate spheroid in shape. Am I wrong about that? They paid me, so I must be wrong about it, yes, that alone is a reason I'm wrong? Funding is a reason to be suspicious of methods, but it doesn't invalidate a properly done study.
    And again, even if you think it is valid reasoning, you're stuck in a regress when convincing others: everyone can accuse you of having an agenda.
  • eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

Keyword... Occasional

That's a different argument from your initial one. Perhaps eating pizza may cause you to eat more, but if you do successfully stay within your calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

To your original point, yes, eating pizza may cause your weight to increase vs days you don't, but as long as you are in a deficit, the long-term trend will be downward.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,360 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    OP, we'd love to help you if you go to Diary Settings- and set your food diary to "Public."

One thing that trips a lot of people up is logging incorrectly. Having such a huge database to choose from is both good (huge!) and bad (unverified!). As other posters have said, please make sure you're weighing your food, and also that the food entries you use are verified by you (google "name of food usda nutrition" or something to make sure it matches what's in MFP's database).

Another thing to really take advantage of if you're not is the "recipe" function. Write down each ingredient in what you make in grams, weigh the whole recipe in grams, then log how many grams of the recipe you serve yourself.

Example:
    Flour 180 g
    Sugar 5 g
    Baking Powder 3 g
    Water 120 g

I don't know what I just made, but I was going for bread. I bake it, weigh the loaf, then enter the weight in grams as my number of servings. Then enter the ingredients I wrote down as the recipe and save it.

Now I can go back to my bread recipe, weigh how much bread I take, and my calories will be exact to the gram when I log it. Just one more awesome thing you can do with MFP.

Don't listen to any of this about healthiness of food. That only matters if you have a medical condition or for how you feel. Weight loss straight up is generally calories in less than calories out, barring medical conditions that change your formula slightly.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    eryn0x wrote: »

Keyword... Occasional

That's a different argument from your initial one. Perhaps eating pizza may cause you to eat more, but if you do successfully stay within your calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

To your original point, yes, eating pizza may cause your weight to increase vs days you don't, but as long as you are in a deficit, the long-term trend will be downward.

Right. You can't just keep gaining more and more water weight from a high sodium diet. (If you do have unusual amounts of water weight and keep gaining it, that's a health issue and requires a doctor.) If someone consistently eats a high sodium diet, they are going to stick at about the same amount of water weight. They might have trouble losing, but because their food makes it hard to stick in a deficit, as you said, not sodium.

When sodium causes weight gain is when you eat more than you usually do.