Vitamix

Options
Hello looking for new friends who use Vitamix and recipe swaps! Looking to improve my health and I have over 100 lbs to loose. I have the E310 Vitamix.

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I have a vitamix, although I mainly use it for smoothies and soups. Do you have plans for what you will use it for? It works great.
  • sunniflorida
    sunniflorida Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I mainly make smoothies or homemade peanut butter. But I’m interested I what other healthy foods I can make with it.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    I make almond milk and smoothies in mine.

I made tomato soup in it one time but my ears were bleeding by the time I got done. Waaaaay more peaceful to do it on the stove and then hit it with the Viramix or an immersion blender.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I don't use a Vitamix, but I make smoothies about 4 - 5 times a week.

I would totally be interested in "smoothie" friends who list every ingredient in their diaries (except ice/water of course). If any of you are interested, send me a friend request.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I mainly make smoothies or homemade peanut butter. But I’m interested I what other healthy foods I can make with it.

This reminds me that I made baba ganoush in mine. I've used the food processor for nut butter.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I don't use a Vitamix, but I make smoothies about 4 - 5 times a week.

I would totally be interested in "smoothie" friends who list every ingredient in their diaries (except ice/water of course). If any of you are interested, send me a friend request.

I log at Cron, or I would. No one else ever thinks my smoothies sound good, though. I normally do smoothies in the summer but have been on a weird smoothie kick since Christmas.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat2

Have you done any smoothies with basil? We are having curry tonight, but I always have leftover basil because the package sold at my store is too much. I found a few recipes online, but am a bit hesitant even though I'm usually willing to experiment.

My favorite recently is a turmeric and ginger smoothie.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I have. I grow a bunch of herbs, including basil, when its not winter (I grow them on the porch and always mean to see if I can get them to transition indoors, but haven't tried yet), and have tried most of them.

I've added turmeric and ginger to smoothies, but not made them the feature -- that sounds interesting.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I have. I grow a bunch of herbs, including basil, when its not winter (I grow them on the porch and always mean to see if I can get them to transition indoors, but haven't tried yet), and have tried most of them.

I've added turmeric and ginger to smoothies, but not made them the feature -- that sounds interesting.

I killed cilantro this winter and Thai basil last winter when I brought them indoors. They may need more frequent watering than my other indoor plants. I used to have a friend with a great indoor herb garden - wish I'd picked his brain at the time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    A few years back I was looking into Vitamixes and Ninjas, was overwhelmed with the options, and decided to just keep using my food processor for smoothies.

Here's a thread with a ton of smoothie recipes: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10728122/looking-for-smoothie-friends
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I mostly do smoothies, soups & sauces but check out blended chia pudding. There's a chocolate one by "Eating Bird Food" blog that is seriously amazing...you don't have to wait hours to eat it, once the Vitamix blends it there's a perfect creamy texture.
  • mfp4kc
    mfp4kc Posts: 29 Member
    Options

If using turmeric in a smoothie, you may want to note that it will not absorb as well as in supplement form. There are some brands in supplement form also sold as a powder that you can blend into a smoothie. One key to look for is a hydro-soluble form for the absorption. Or, add a fat source as well for better absorption.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    mfp4kc wrote: »

If using turmeric in a smoothie, you may want to note that it will not absorb as well as in supplement form. There are some brands in supplement form also sold as a powder that you can blend into a smoothie. One key to look for is a hydro-soluble form for the absorption. Or, add a fat source as well for better absorption.

I don't use turmeric for "supplement" purposes. I just think it adds an interesting taste sometimes.

I do have fat in all my smoothies, because the goal for me is balanced macros.