What should a 5ft 1 female weigh

Options
Just a question about what I should weigh, I'm a 52 year old female and weigh 133lbs. I've been at this for about 6 weeks after losing 18lbs. I seem to be stuck at this weight and wonder if this is 'what weight my body wants. Does this make any sense. I am on my feet walking all day and started running a few years ago so I'm active. Is this where I accept that 'this is it's. Thanks

Replies

• sbarkston
    sbarkston Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's too easy to get hung up on a figure suggested by a book etc .. what do you look like in the mirror..if you like what you see you're at your ideal weight
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing 15% of your body weight! Weight loss tends to slow down as you get lighter for various reasons. So you are stuck at 133 pounds. How are your energy levels? Could you reduce your intake a bit more? Would that reduce your quality of life? How do you feel when you look in the mirror as sbarkston asks.

In my experience maintenance weight is a trade off between energy levels, enjoyment of food and how you feel when you look in a full length mirror.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There really isn't a should. Normal BMI is a range to accommodate various body types and bone structure, muscle mass, different BF%s, etc.
  • Scarlettriestorun
    Scarlettriestorun Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You're very close to what's considered a healthy weight range in the US (18.5-25 bmi, which is 98-130lbs. at 5'1''). I'm also 5'1''. It goes real slow, and deficits are narrow, so just make sure you're accurate with logging and weighing and it should slowly come off at 1,200-1,300. I'm at 124 now and it took about four months to get there from 133. Those 9 pounds really did make a difference in how I felt though, I feel much more comfortable here than I did at 133.

Well done , thanks for sharing its inspired me to get to 125lbs as that was my original 'ideal', I did weigh that a few years ago and did feel better. Thanks
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I’m the same height, a few years older and currently sitting at 124lbs.

Goal is 115 which is pretty much slap bang in the middle of the BMI range. It’s painfully slow! I’m lucky if I can drop a pound a month!

I’m still holding some extra weight around the middle - and I think that is what determines the goal. Are you where you want to be? ‘Ideal’ is going to depend on build, genetic body shape etc even amongst people of identical height.
  • Stefhscherr
    Stefhscherr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 60's now but when I was a young thing I never went over 105. I don't want to get that low now...I'd probably look sick! My goal is 110, I have 10 more pounds to go and it's slow going. That's where I'm most comfortable. I'm tired of feeling uncomfortable in my clothes!
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Remember to take in to account your frame etc... but the best indicator is how you feel about yourself. I am very petite and also 5"1 and lost very slowly til I got to 109lbs which is where I feel happy! Taking progress pictures really helps too. Good luck!
  • Scarlettriestorun
    Scarlettriestorun Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, looking at some of your weights for 5ft 1 I feel quite big. I think I'm still gonna aim for 125 then see how I go , if I ever get there!! Thanks again
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, looking at some of your weights for 5ft 1 I feel quite big. I think I'm still gonna aim for 125 then see how I go , if I ever get there!! Thanks again

I am 5'1" and seem to have settled right around 135. I am definitely bigger than a lot of women at this height, but I cannot imagine (me) going any lower and (me) being able to sustain it. I am barely hanging on as it is! LOL.

For reference, I am 45 and "lightly active." I'm definitely not an athlete - most of my purposeful exercise is walking/some running. I am curvy rather than slight/slender (big up top). While those numbers at the lower end of the range are tempting, I've come to accept that they are not where I'm meant to be.

Good luck!
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and I'm 40. My goal is to get between 115-120. I'm at 134 right now. Nothing lost in the last 2 weeks, but nothing also gained either with the way I've been snacking and not working out - which is a good thing!
  • bex1086
    bex1086 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height, 33 and fairly active. I have been fluctuating between 109-115 for the past year. I can't seem to maintain the lower weight for any more than a couple of weeks but it's something I'm working on.

I've always been around about 120lbs give or take since I can remember. I've always had an active job and never really watched what I ate until the last couple of years. I put on the most weight after my pregnancies due to eating too much junk and not being as active. Now the kids are bigger I have more time to cook, sleep, exercise and I'm working part time again which helps too. My average daily steps are 15,000 which doesn't count the purposeful exercise, it's just purely from the amount of walking in do with the school runs, pottering around the house and at work.
  • clepant
    clepant Posts: 3,377 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Congratulations! Also take in account that your muscle mass has most likely improved...also working out with some weights may change things if you aren’t doing that already. Weight loss in the scheme of things is great but being fit not fat (body fat wise) is more important,. I found that when I started running, I held steady until I added weight training twice a week. I saw change in my body weight when I did as well as being more toned.

Also change up your routine. Your body goes into auto pilot and just changing your work out routine like reverse running routes will make a difference as well. I lost 88 pounds and took up running at age 60. I am back at it to lose the few that I left creep in while recovering from a knee injury.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Ithink it depends how you feel I was 136lbs, now 125lbs aim to get to 113lbs the NHS chart says I could go a lot lower but I think it would be too much for me so that's my aim but everybody is different i just aim to be in the middle of healthy weight and BMI.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,845 Member
    Options
    I don't think any one person can tell another what they "should" weigh. BMI guidelines are good. Being healthy and happy with yourself to me are the personal guidelines you need to follow.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I’m 5”2, 40 years old, and weigh bn 118-120. My body maintains well at 125. This low is a bit of a struggle. I have an athletic built & will never get to 110 like some other girls my height. Everyone’s bone structure is different....I would say don’t focus on a scale weight & go by how you look and feel.