Carnivore Diet

Options
So I was watching Joe Rogan today and he said he's on the carnivore diet and it's supposed to help inflammation. I'm currently on an anti-inflammatory pill bc I have bulging disc and the inflammation causes life to be unbearable sometimes without reducing it. I was just curious if anyone has tried this and had any results with it? Of course I'm interested in the weight loss part of it as well.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    These guys did carnivore for a month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4OmsKEWC10

It's a little goofy at times, but still has good info, although it is missing info about the benefits of including organ meats while eating carnivore that I believe @nvmomketo has mentioned in the past.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    These guys did carnivore for a month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4OmsKEWC10

It's a little goofy at times, but still has good info, although it is missing info about the benefits of including organ meats while eating carnivore that I believe @nvmomketo has mentioned in the past.

Buff dudes are great.

OP, you might want to check the low carb group. There are a few carnivore people.

I don't follow carnivore but do follow keto. Honestly, there isn't much evidence on carnivore, so its hard to tell if it reduces inflammation. What it could potentially do is eliminate trigger foods. You could certainly try a few other protocols like Whole 30, AIP, Paleo or Keto. All have some evidence supporting reduced inflammation but i also suspect a lot of its from weight loss, reducing processed foods, eliminating added sugars and increasing nutrient food density.
  • McBurnsalot
    McBurnsalot Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you have a health issue I would check with the doc first. I would imagine that the carnivore diet is more likely to exclude foods that cause inflammation. Supposedly certain foods like processed and high sugar foods can cause inflammation as well as gluten.

There are a lot of claims about food that don’t have scientific backing. Maybe try it for a month or two and see if it helps.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor and I would suggest consulting one since you have special issues to compensate for. One thing I would suggest if you are considering eating a carnivore type diet is consume very lean red meat like goat, sheep, deer, elk, and moose. We raise meat goats on my farm and my family prefers the goat meat to any other type of red meat. It is very lean and absolutely delicious. If you have farmers near by only consume fresh eggs that aren't raised on medicated feed. Another thing that I HIGHLY suggest is making your own bone broth. My daughter suffered a back injury in gymnastics with compound fractures and bulging discs. I have knee, hip and sciatic problems and it was suggest from my daughters physical therapist to star drinking bone broth. So I started making goat bone broth and we drink it a few times a week and over the past year we have both noticed a HUGE difference. You can easily make it with any large bones but joints and softer bones really make the best broth. It will help with inflammation, joint problems and is good for your gut as well. Best of luck!