Question for rowers?

2»

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited February 2020
    Yesterday at Orangetheory was 2000 meters row benchmark. (my location)

Average for women 29 and under was 6.95
    women 30-39 6.96
    women 40-49 7.34
    women 50+ 7.83

Average for men 29 and under was 7.99
    men 30-39 6.36
    men 40-49 6.45
    men 50+ 8.23

Apples and Oranges. I set the "club record" for the 500m at my only OTF class for that location and I'm slow on sprints. My best sprint at 500m is something like 1:39 and I was nearly sub 1:30 on a Waterrower (actually would have been lower but I thought I was done and slowed down because I couldn't read the screen). Add around 40 to 50 seconds to those times, perhaps a minute and you'd have their (approximate) C2 times. One nice thing about the C2s is that you have to have it verified by code to put it up as a record. You can't just make stuff up, though certain gyms try.

One of the women in our club is one of the top European rowers. She did a 1:30 something legit 500m (because she knows how to program and validate) at her gym. She wasn't in the top 10. The lowest score was allegedly a 1:07 -- which is BS crazy. No one did that. But it was for a prize and people lie. The woman in our club would destroy them in a sanctioned race. She holds the fastest 500m in the world this year, at least verified on a C2.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Yesterday at Orangetheory was 2000 meters row benchmark. (my location)

Average for women 29 and under was 6.95
    women 30-39 6.96
    women 40-49 7.34
    women 50+ 7.83

Average for men 29 and under was 7.99
    men 30-39 6.36
    men 40-49 6.45
    men 50+ 8.23

Does your OT use Water Rowers, or Concept 2? (Asking because in my understanding, the splits/times are not comparable between the two.)

Water rower! Sorry didn't see this@AnnPT77
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited May 2020
    I think you have gotten some excellent comments here.
    But, let me just reiterate what was suggested: That you try slowing down your stroke rate, from the 28 strokes per minute shown on your monitor in the picture, to 18 to 20 s/min.
    By slowing your stroke rate down, you can focus more on your form and power.
    Why is that important? Because without good form, you'll never get your best power.
    There are two factors that determine how fast/far you go on a boat. (Or in this case, on an erg.) One is how fast you stroke. The other is how powerful your strokes are.
    You need both to row as best you can.
    Most people focus on developing form and power first, because it does not do you much good to row very fast if you are just flailing around. But, if you are getting good power with each stroke ... and then you pick up the pace (aka, the stroke rate) ... then BOOM! You are really traveling.